Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Prog characteristics in music theory?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I’ve really missed this place

Where have you been? This place misses you Smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:49
Trapped in my body

I’m on the verge of breaking out though. I’ve tunneled under the prison undetected and am currently but a small back-crack from freedom.
I’m getting out soon dude!! I can’t wait [<:o)]
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:37
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The last sentence explains the prior unforseen predilection for mongolian throat clearing....anything sounds good after playing ABBA even the sound of a hurtling 3 mile wide meteor as it tears through the atmosphere prior to slamming into mother earth...

If it lands anywhere near Swinton we can call it the music of the spheres Big smile

Well. In that case, at ground zero our suffering will probably be measured in seconds...the rest of mankind may suffer for considerably longer...so sounds like a result to me 😎
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 20:45

As I see it. Music theorists are like proffesional football pundits, who disect the game you have just watched and dictate the professional view...I always wind thru their pointless platitudes if I can..and make my own view on the game I have just watched...

Are you aware that no less a player than Novak Djokovic had Craig O'Shannessy in his box mainly for the granular detail of his punditry, for his ability to break down the numbers into winning/losing patterns?  The problem in fact isn't with punditry so much as it is with former players in most sports believing they have the sole right to offer commentary when they are often merely good observers of the game and not analysers of it because they did all the analysis subconsciously in real time and cannot articulate it. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 07:38
^ What I know about Tennis could be written down on a post it note in 20 point upper case....but I think that the dynamics of 2 men facing each other on a small court is possibly far less complicated than 22 men on a far larger playing surface...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 08:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Trapped in my body

I’m getting out soon dude!! I can’t wait [<:o)]

Shocked
Clap
Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 08:09

^ What I know about Tennis could be written down on a post it note in 20 point upper case....but I think that the dynamics of 2 men facing each other on a small court is possibly far less complicated than 22 men on a far larger playing surface...

That's a bad argument because:

a)  The scoring system in tennis is a lot more complicated than football and there is also a lot more you can do with a racquet than the tip of your shoe.  It's not even close to comparable.  

b)  There are far more complicated scenarios that are analysed using data in business than football.  If it works there, it can work in football. 

The notion that football is somehow too complicated in a beautiful way as to keep it secure from the preying hands of data predators is a romantic one with little basis in reality.  Data about the game can and is being used in many sports as of today to improve outcomes.  It doesn't ruin the sport because both sides have access to the data so what they do with it ends up being unpredictable anyway. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 10:44
Data science is invaluble for computers to set the odds so that your brainless proletariat can be fleeced by on line betting companies. But however you monitor Tranmere Rovers, the data aint ever going to get them to win the FA cup anytime soon...as was just proven...

Edited by M27Barney - January 26 2020 at 10:47
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 09:36

Data science is invaluble for computers to set the odds so that your brainless proletariat can be fleeced by on line betting companies. But however you monitor Tranmere Rovers, the data aint ever going to get them to win the FA cup anytime soon...as was just proven...

Data can't help a mediocre team win, that's not what it is used for.  It can help explain why teams win or lose and thus devise strategies better.  This is what music theory does too, simply provides an explanation for why something works or appears to work. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 15:42
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Data can't help a mediocre team win, that's not what it is used for.  It can help explain why teams win or lose and thus devise strategies better.  This is what music theory does too, simply provides an explanation for why something works or appears to work. 

Some prog musicians have composed music based upon fractals.  The late, great bassist for Starcastle, Gary Strater, was one.  His CD, "Eleven to the Fourth - Twice" was released before he perished from cancer.  RIP, friend. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 08:05

I appreciate this ... the only part that i do not like is when some folks will state that this and that does not fit ... specially when music is forever evolving and changing ... and within the rock/jazz context even more so than ever in the history of music!

My only "request", if I may, is that these not be about RULES ... and spend more time accepting that this and that person did something different with this and that detail ... and this is where some things go off badly ... and I remember Keith using a couple of knives in the old days ... and it wasn't to show off ... it was to get an extended sound from that part so he could play something else ... in the days where the machines being used were not as good/great in effects as they became!

Likewise, is something like TARKUS ... that sounds extremely modern and like a magnificent Piano Concerto in the hands of Rachel Flowers ... but I don't see any of those folks that "know" music theory and teach it, even discuss ... how much of the famous, and well known music is outstanding in its compositional state ... and King Crimson fits here also ... since when it comes to music knowledge and theory ... I doubt there are many folks that can top Robert Fripp, for example. But he will never get any acceptance ... for the incredible detail and definition of his work ... and to me, this is the only issue I have with "music theory" that has been stuck in stone for hundreds of years, and is continually looking stupid after so many years, but in between, you are always the stupid and stubborn kid that won't learn the theory! 

And "Prog" and "Progressive" in this case are the "bad children" that are being ignored ... and even thinking of discussing some folks that we love as idiots is insane, since many of them are very high level instructors in music ... but many "music theorists" in college and universities conveniently ignore that ... don't try to do a thesis on Edgar Froese for another 30 years ... he hasn't been dead long enough!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 09:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I appreciate this ... the only part that i do not like is when some folks will state that this and that does not fit ... specially when music is forever evolving and changing ... and within the rock/jazz context even more so than ever in the history of music!

My only "request", if I may, is that these not be about RULES ... and spend more time accepting that this and that person did something different with this and that detail ... and this is where some things go off badly ... and I remember Keith using a couple of knives in the old days ... and it wasn't to show off ... it was to get an extended sound from that part so he could play something else ... in the days where the machines being used were not as good/great in effects as they became!

Likewise, is something like TARKUS ... that sounds extremely modern and like a magnificent Piano Concerto in the hands of Rachel Flowers ... but I don't see any of those folks that "know" music theory and teach it, even discuss ... how much of the famous, and well known music is outstanding in its compositional state ... and King Crimson fits here also ... since when it comes to music knowledge and theory ... I doubt there are many folks that can top Robert Fripp, for example. But he will never get any acceptance ... for the incredible detail and definition of his work ... and to me, this is the only issue I have with "music theory" that has been stuck in stone for hundreds of years, and is continually looking stupid after so many years, but in between, you are always the stupid and stubborn kid that won't learn the theory! 

And "Prog" and "Progressive" in this case are the "bad children" that are being ignored ... and even thinking of discussing some folks that we love as idiots is insane, since many of them are very high level instructors in music ... but many "music theorists" in college and universities conveniently ignore that ... don't try to do a thesis on Edgar Froese for another 30 years ... he hasn't been dead long enough!

Again, theory only exists to explain what works.  It is not intended to be predictive.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 23:38
Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

My only "request", if I may, is that these not be about RULES ...
Again, it's descriptive not prescriptive. Adam Neely confirms this exact same message:

I appreciate the little reference to my discipline in Adam Neely's analogy to the difference between descriptive and prescriptive linguistics. I am a linguist and he is right on point.

... and spend more time accepting that this and that person did something different with this and that detail ... and this is where some things go off badly ... and I remember Keith using a couple of knives in the old days ... and it wasn't to show off ... it was to get an extended sound from that part so he could play something else ... in the days where the machines being used were not as good/great in effects as they became!
Even a minimal understanding of music theory could have aided you in avoiding such an irrelevant example. Nothing in music theory has ever constrained the use of knives. The knives created harmonies that were entirely consistent with music theory. No controversy here. Move along.

... and to me, this is the only issue I have with "music theory" that has been stuck in stone for hundreds of years, and is continually looking stupid after so many years, but in between, you are always the stupid and stubborn kid that won't learn the theory!
Music Theory has not been stuck in stone for hundreds of years. Jazz and Rock have not been around for that along. Context gleaned simply from this thread alone should have told you that. Music theory has changed with changes in genres. The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, for instance, was written in 1953. The last part about "the stupid and stubborn kid" is a narrative worthy of any Trump rally. Knowing stuff is not elitism.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 01:36
^ i'm with you. Knowledge and learning empowers the naked ape. I may learn a bit about music theory. Once I have finished the current set of unread science books...what is the besr book to buy?

Edited by M27Barney - February 01 2020 at 01:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 20:23
I've learned stuff from so many disparate sources. I asked a local guitar teacher for a recommendation. For an accessible work for beginners, he recommended a book from Steve Vai called Vaideology. For some really interesting nitty gritty, I recommend The Beato Book, which you can purchase as a pdf from Rick Beato's web site. Rick Beato also has a regular YouTube presence that he calls All Things Music. A good portion of the "things" he covers includes numerous topics on music theory. How accessible he might be for a beginner, I am not wholly certain. Nevertheless, with him you can at least begin with some very informative and free YouTube vids. Rick also frequently tackles issues in Jazz, Rock or Classical.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 19:58
I just saw this vid and thought I would post it for general consumption and enrichment:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345