Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 20:44
There is really only one thing that does in fact really bother me, although it applies to all music not just progressive music, and thankfully this applies to only a minority of music, but it is present nonetheless: Terrible lyrics - not just meaningless or cryptic lyrics, which one can ignore, but cringeworthy lyrics that one just can't ignore. There is still the idea among *some* artists/labels/audiences that there *must* be lyrics over top of the music. This particularly applies to a lot of neo-prog. However, I would much rather listen to no singing than to really bad lyrics. It is fine, and indeed often better, for the music to be completely instrumental. Or if there must be singing, then have a made-up language (whether Zeuhl or Klingon) or no language (just humming, etc) so that cringe-worthy lyrics do not ruin otherwise good music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 00:35
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

When prog is just prog, for the sake of it, and not really inventive, or challenging, nor even adventurous.

Then it is not prog....it's Beatles music.

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves)

Captcha.........
Really canīt understand why you seem to have so much against Beatles? I can someway understand it with the people born in eighties, but youīre from sixties. Do you really think Rush would have been same without Beatles?

Of course you donīt have to like Beatles, but their music not inventive, adventurous or challenging? Then Christ sake what kind of Revolver or Sgt. Pepper music is?

It's OK, I'm not from the 60's....born in '64 so music in the 60's I was not listening to. You're thinking of the hippie/flower power teeny-boppers. By the time the early 70's hit I knew the music I liked was R&B/Funk and RnR.....which the Beatles are none of those, they are pop music. Musician wise they were avg to below avg musicians, never any better, and terrible singers with horrible tone. But they were great song writers, arrangers.....

Rush is not influenced by the Beatles, Rush does not exist in any form due to Beatles...They exist because of LZ, The Who and Cream....Listen to their cover album Feedback. As well as Genesis and Yes influenced Rush. I can't recall any interview where they mention the Beatles as an influence of substance.....See that is the problem, you think the Beatles influenced everybody that came after them, you have been hypnotized in this belief LOL!

Correct I don't have to like anyone, I chose to like a band based on their output. The only Beatles albums I own are red and blue compilation albums (my wife bought them cause she thought we could sell them for $100ea) and Sgt Pepper because of the movie and performance by EW&F, who is my fav R&B band. I thought "Got To Get You" was on that album, I wanted to hear the original version....EW&F is better of course.

There are tons of bands on this site that people hate/don't like.....Beatles draw the most defense from u all, if they are so great why do you have to defend them so vehemently?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 00:56

[QUOTE=Mortte]

There are tons of bands on this site that people hate/don't like.....Beatles draw the most defense from u all, if they are so great why do you have to defend them so vehemently?
Just because I have had the picture youīre quite reasonable guy. Maybe I have to change that picture.

One reason is also here are many young persons in this forum, who doensnīt understand the importance of Beatles to the popular music. When some "oldie" like you is saying something like that, I just canīt let it that way.

There wasnīt band in sixties who hasnīt got influences from Beatles. Although Zeppelin is highly influenced from the blues, also their great song arrangements owe to Beatles. Whoīs first albums has lots of vocal harmonies straight from the Beatles, also song arrangements. Cream went already in their second "I Feel Free" much more Beatles direction than somewhere else. So although Rush members maybe not listened direct much Beatles, they also were influenced by them and really I believe also they would have sounded different if Beatles hadnīt existed.

One thing I have mentioned here before, if Beatles hadnīt made Sgt, would there be prog at all? EMI really wasnīt excited about that album and really believed it would fail commercially. So if Beatles hadnīt made it and succeeded with it, would any record company released any prog album? To me Sgt really is the first prog album with itīs concept, both musically and in cover art.

The point was you donīt have to like them, but you still can respect them. Thatīs what I do many artists that I donīt like but know they have been important in popular music. For example I have never been big Michael Jackson or Prince-fan, but really wouldnīt ever say they just boring pop.

But I quess there is no reason to continue this, you seem to be those who mix their opinions and facts.

Edited by Mortte - May 20 2018 at 01:01
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 01:32
You need to understand this whole forum is an opinion, including who you like or don't like and why....100% subjective.
You did not pay attention.....I said they were great song writers, arrangers, that means respect yes. But to your point I don't like them, respectfully.

So you think all oldie people must like the Beatles??? So I suppose all young people must like Justin Bieber!

You can believe that about how Rush music might sound without Beatles but its wrong....has nothing to do with whether I like Rush or not, their sound has nothing to do with Beatles nor how they wrote music or Peart's lyrics.
And both Prince and Jackson were brilliant performers and singers, the Beatles were not in that category. Prince was a brilliant musician, producer as well.

So you agree if Elvis, Chuck Berry, Beach Boys and all the soul singers did not exist the Beatles would never exist either right??
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 02:03
^First, I havenīt ever said all the oldie has to like Beatles. Just saying I believe theyīre knowing the bands importance. If youīre really thinking Beatles and Justin Bieber are in the same category, itīs really useless to continue this.

Anyway reason why I am continuing is yes, I believe Beatles would have been really different without Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers, also without souls singers. They didnīt become from the vacuum, just like Rush and other progbands didnīt come. Beach Boys came quite the same time, I donīt believe Beatles had heard them before they succeeded, you can always think would Beach Boys ever become as great as they become without Beatles (I think you know both Lennon/McCartney and Brian Wilson listened each others albums carefully in the middle of sixties). But you have to remember there really was a big vacuum just before Beatles in rock music, Elvis has started singing ballads, really popular music had going into very entertaining direction. You can always of course say, if there hadnīt been Beatles, some other band would have done it, but who really knows?

Also, you didnīt comment my opinion about Beatles as prog predecessors, if youīre thinking itīs absolutely rubbish, you donīt have to tell that.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 02:06
About this forum as a opinion, I have noticed people today really doesnīt check the facts that are said in these kind of forums. Thatīs the reason why I try to correct if somebodyīs saying something as a fact that isnīt fact.

I think Beatles big importance to popular music is a fact, someone whoīs saying itīs not doesnīt know the history of popular music.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 02:28
I think there's a difference between saying The Beatles are important to music history, and not liking The Beatles, while never denying the first fact.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 02:40
I don't looooooove The Beatles, but it's hard for anyone to deny the repercussion they exerted in everything that came afterwards (I can't believe somebody to say: "don't know, never heard")
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 03:38
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think there's a difference between saying The Beatles are important to music history, and not liking The Beatles, while never denying the first fact.
It seems you havenīt read all the posts catcher and I wrote. He said Beatles music isnīt inventive, challenging or adventurous. Other thread he said it boring pop. Later he put into same sentence Beatles and Justin Bieber.

Maybe I have a wrong interpretation what he has said, but to me it really doesnīt seem he respect Beatles at all. And really hard to believe heīs thinking Beatles has been important to prog also like all the other popular music.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 04:26
the Beatles were most definitely adventurous and innovative; to say anything else is poppycock. even the great Leonard Bernstein loved the Beatles

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 05:09
For the last few years I’ve been having a growing problem with one-man prog efforts. The bedroom keyboard wizards in caped pyjamas. To these guys I can only say: None of you are Mike Oldfield!

What I’ve heard of these efforts is mostly a soulless melange of drawn-out boring passages, interspersed with a pretty melody here and there. To my mind this stuff is lacking badly, and it has definitely overstretched my patience. Energy seems to be a naughty word.

I could see most of these seemingly unfinished ‘releases’ as promising demos for a band at best; a band that might be able to put some energy up the ‘artist’. In fact, what this music needs is a strong kick up the arse, but at the moment most of these efforts would make any lift snooze to a stop between floors.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 07:57
I want more alphabets, washing machines, vacuum cleaners, and pooping of pants.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 09:13

About this forum as a opinion, I have noticed people today really doesnīt check the facts that are said in these kind of forums. Thatīs the reason why I try to correct if somebodyīs saying something as a fact that isnīt fact.

I think Beatles big importance to popular music is a fact, someone whoīs saying itīs not doesnīt know the history of popular music.

You don't get it, not that it matters much to me that you do on my opinion. Your unbiased love of the Beatles clouds your thoughts. I do believe they had a great affect on pop music and there is respect for what they did. But my issues are on their musicianship and singing, stage performance and the fact that if they were so big why could they not keep it going for more than 9-10 yrs? The chemistry did not exist to do this or they just got too big for their britches and were not disciplined enough to make it work.
I have said before, if other bands would have recorded their music there is a good chance I would have listened more......ie Earth Wind & Fire.

As far as them being prog pioneers or whatever you are insinuating, again I think that is false......Remember, prog rock was not even a descriptor back then in the 60's, it was psychedelic rock, which again in their initial period Beatles were bubble gum girl pop music, not psychedelic. Those are facts.....
I'm sure I know more about music than you do regarding the history of it.....And yes that is my opinion. But I am sure my record collection would prove it.

I have no issue with what you say, why can't you say the same about people like me who feel similar..again simply allow your mind to be open.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 09:41

You don't get it, not that it matters much to me that you do on my opinion. Your unbiased love of the Beatles clouds your thoughts. I do believe they had a great affect on pop music and there is respect for what they did. But my issues are on their musicianship and singing, stage performance and the fact that if they were so big why could they not keep it going for more than 9-10 yrs? The chemistry did not exist to do this or they just got too big for their britches and were not disciplined enough to make it work.
I have said before, if other bands would have recorded their music there is a good chance I would have listened more......ie Earth Wind & Fire.

As far as them being prog pioneers or whatever you are insinuating, again I think that is false......Remember, prog rock was not even a descriptor back then in the 60's, it was psychedelic rock, which again in their initial period Beatles were bubble gum girl pop music, not psychedelic. Those are facts.....
I'm sure I know more about music than you do regarding the history of it.....And yes that is my opinion. But I am sure my record collection would prove it.

I have no issue with what you say, why can't you say the same about people like me who feel similar..again simply allow your mind to be open.

you don't have to be a great instrumentalist to revolutionize music. Arnold Schoenberg was not really proficient on any instrument, yet he revolutionized music by inventing twelve-tone music.

as to "if other bands would have recorded their music": that's a subjunctive statement. "if there weren't the word 'if', my dad would be a hippogryph"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:53
And so we owe everything to Schoenberg which I am fine with, as well as his work on tones. Although I doubt, unless you went to USC or UCLA to study music, you were influenced by his work as a pop/rock band.
These 60's bands probably know nothing of him........

But I can admit his work is without question highly important in the world of classical composition and poem......
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:11

And so we owe everything to Schoenberg which I am fine with, as well as his work on tones. Although I doubt, unless you went to USC or UCLA to study music, you were influenced by his work as a pop/rock band.
These 60's bands probably know nothing of him........

But I can admit his work is without question highly important in the world of classical composition and poem......

I had private lessons from my piano teacher

Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:13
It needs more cowbell.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:17
Originally posted by Lamneth Lamneth wrote:

It needs more cowbell.

LOL, this will never get old :)))
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:55
Strange question. I don't know... when a band doesn't connect with me I can probably explain why to some extent. But it will never be because I've made a set of rules not virtuoso enough or too virtuoso, ABA composition or silly hang-ups like that. If I had approached musiclistening like that I would have been bothered by myself.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 21:58

All I have to say this I didnīt really ever got unbiased love of the Beatles. They never been even the near of the biggest favourites of mine (if you look my best ten artists, Beatles arenīt there). I have just learned my lessons (not just collected albums I like what you seem to do, I watched many documents and read many books from the popular music history).
To me it sounds youīve never heard for example Beatles psychedelic masterpiece "Tomorrow Never Knows". In 1966 there werenīt many bands who did such a songs.

And about their ten years existence your opinion really shows you donīt know much about sixties. Those times bands were thinking itīs amazing if theyīre doing music over a year. And really, I wouldnīt be sad if Rush would have stopped after Signals.

Useless to continue this, I think I have said everything I have to say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>