Topic ClosedSurprise appearance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surprise appearance
    Posted: September 13 2005 at 07:31
Not being adverse to good tribute bands, I've long been a fan of the Rochdale (UK) band 'Noddys Puncture', a superb ELP tribute act.

They were playing in a pub in Sussex over the August bank holiday weekend, as they do every year; halfway through 'Tarkus', Tom Szakaly (Hammond/Moog supremo) gets a nudge in the ribs, turns round, and Emerson is standing there.

What could Tom do?

He steps back & lets Emerson complete the song - the other two in the band are now in heaven (although feeling somewhat pressurised), and the pub is in uproar.

I see Noddys Puncture every year at this venue.

Except this year.

I was busy.

Bugger!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 07:43

I'm sorry to hear that, Jim... but on a brighter note, I have read several times that Emerson is an asshole!  (and this act is not very nice either if you ask me). Still fun for the other players though...

No, seriously: It sucks that you missed that Jimbo!

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 07:45
an anecdote about the late Pierre Moerlen, drummer of Gong who died May 3rd this year. he was also an excellent keyboarder (as the anecdote shows), though he usually had the keyboards played by someone else on the records of Gong. here the anecdote:
Jonny Greene
I first met Pierre in 1990 when he came to stay at the house I shared with Daevid in Somerset. The three of us went out to eat at a local café, The Blue Note, which as it's name implies often had live music in the evenings. Two very good local jazz musicians, John Cartwright & Jackie Whitren were playing, and as a happy Pierre got into what they were doing he started to play along using just his hands on the table top. In fact he got so into it that after a while, on the appreciative nod of John Cartwright at the electric piano, he even took a solo. And when he came to the end of the solo the whole, full café, who had no idea who he was, burst into loud, prolonged spontaneous applause - he'd been that good! He was always that good. I'll remember him and the times we had on tour with much fondness.

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 07:51

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

an anecdote about the late Pierre Moerlen, drummer of Gong who died May 3rd this year. he was also an excellent keyboarder (as the anecdote shows), though he usually had the keyboards played by someone else on the records of Gong. here the anecdote:
Jonny Greene
I first met Pierre in 1990 when he came to stay at the house I shared with Daevid in Somerset. The three of us went out to eat at a local café, The Blue Note, which as it's name implies often had live music in the evenings. Two very good local jazz musicians, John Cartwright & Jackie Whitren were playing, and as a happy Pierre got into what they were doing he started to play along using just his hands on the table top. In fact he got so into it that after a while, on the appreciative nod of John Cartwright at the electric piano, he even took a solo. And when he came to the end of the solo the whole, full café, who had no idea who he was, burst into loud, prolonged spontaneous applause - he'd been that good! He was always that good. I'll remember him and the times we had on tour with much fondness.

Let me get this straight: did he play the solo on the table top or on the actual keyboard?

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 07:56
on the keyboard; he was a classically trained piano player (apart from his drumming); a fact very few know

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 08:07

on the keyboard; he was a classically trained piano player (apart from his drumming); a fact very few know

ah... too bad. A solo on the table top would have been much more spectacular!

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 08:27
Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

especially if one hand was on the keyboard and the other was saving a poor damsel in distress.

BJ: I bet you wish you were that poor damsel......sounds like you'd even bat for the other side for this man.....

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 08:34
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

especially if one hand was on the keyboard and the other was saving a poor damsel in distress.

BJ: I bet you wish you were that poor damsel......sounds like you'd even bat for the other side for this man.....

lol, this is very doubtful, Tony ; my appreciation for the musical talents of a man never gets entangled with my sexual preference

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2005 at 17:47
Unfortunately we will never get to test that theory....
 Post Reply Post Reply