Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In den Gärten Pharaos vs. Ash Ra Tempel (1971)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of the two albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [37.50%]
10 [62.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In den Gärten Pharaos vs. Ash Ra Tempel (1971)
    Posted: May 19 2018 at 03:05
Here are two excellent Krautrock albums from 1971 that have always really stood out for me. I feel they share a similar mystic, tribal, spiritual, psychedelic atmosphere. I personally cannot pick which one I prefer, they are both among my favorite albums of all time. 

Which one do you prefer? Discuss!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 03:57
Both my favourites from each band !! Listening to these transports me another place, one thats free from, well, anything negative. Truly special (spacial ?) works of art.
I refuse to choose coz I’ll get the blooze and drink some booze.........
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 10:00
ART! They're awesome. And I like the eventual Ashra trio of Gottsching, Ulbrich and Grosskopf even more. I'll have to spin the underappreciated Starring Rosi today.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 10:32
Two absolute gems. It's hard to vote against Ash Ra Tempel but that Popol Vuh album is truly magical. One of my very favourites, the second side is mind-blowing. I would have loved to see them continue on this ambient electronic path even if the acoustic albums that came after are amazing as well.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 11:41
I cannot choose. Both are quite awesome albums.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 15:18
Great idea for a poll! Both with side long suites too. I lean towards Gottsching and Schulze on that ASH RA TEMPEL album even though Fricke is one of my favourite musicians. Gottsching's guitar work for me is the difference, just my tastes.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 15:35
Ash Ra
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 02:50
Thanks for all the replies! Smile

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Two absolute gems. It's hard to vote against Ash Ra Tempel but that Popol Vuh album is truly magical. One of my very favourites, the second side is mind-blowing. I would have loved to see them continue on this ambient electronic path even if the acoustic albums that came after are amazing as well.

Yeah, I agree completely. I was originally going to vote for Popol Vuh, but then had those second thoughts that it would de facto be something of a vote against Ash Ra Tempel. "Vuh" is indeed mind-blowing, as you put it. It sounds, to me, like a compelling sonic equivalent of a Caspar David Friedrich painting. The title track is excellent, too, though. I love how that suspence, tension from the synth and the percussion builds up and resolves whith that beautiful electric piano part.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - May 20 2018 at 02:51
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 14:34
ART for me. Love both though. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 15:01
I generally love Popol Vuh much, much more but Ash Ra Tempel for 1971
 Post Reply Post Reply