Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is post-rock exactly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 05:59
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Every time I hear the term 'post rock' I think it means 'after rock'.

you are not wrong (LOL, sorry emoticons do not work for me)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

In my brain, post rock = the rock that came after the rock we already had, but for some reason can't be called alternative or pop punk/rock etc.

Post rock is my least favorite label of all time.

I feel like it's ambiguous, and purposely so, so it can contain a large amount of bands nobody wants to categorize any other way. It's a lazy label IMHO.

To me post-rock meant plenty to me...

Not just the name of the genre (which could refer to post-apocalyptic rock), but the banf
ds included within the tag all have +/- something in common, namely a slowly progressing and mainly instrumental crescendo that borrows much to minimalism and allows for longer tracks
Post rock, despite its relentless repetitions seems to be also a drummmer's music, allowing them plenty of space to wander off and return.
GYBE! and others owe at least some debt to terry Riley's Rainbow In Curved Air , for example.
However, one could also find some objections or feel frustrations towards the post-rocj-k bands for the halo of mystery they shroud themselves with... In some ways, I understand why theuy do it (better not being recognized in the streets), but it's also fairly pretentious and there is a definite form of lazyness when it comes with providing a semblance of explanation about their music/art. It's too easy to say: we let the auditor/spectators make up their own minds about what we do.

But TBH, if I was rather taken in by post-rock from 95 to 05, I tend to think that the genre hasn't evolved much since the 00's started.

I also had a very positive relationship with post rock from the beginning. I was already into Talk Talk when Spirit of Eden came out and was mightily impressed. So relaxed, so much attention to detail and so little distraction from the sound (including the voice) and the rhythm. Later in the mid nineties I got to know Tortoise, Hood etc. and saw a number of German bands influenced by them (mostly not on PA and fairly unknown) and it struck me how taking away rock elements that either annoyed me (posing!) or I had suspected that one can do without (standard song structure, solos, vocals or at least standard lead singer style vocals) left something that made a lot of sense to me (and I've got to admit, leaving out elements for which my instrumental abilities aren't good enough also encouraged and influenced my own music) - with warmth, relaxation, melancholy, but still the forward driving energy of the rhythm that keeps it all together.
It felt somehow that I could have had this kind of music in my mind forever and maybe I even had, but outside influence meant that it felt inferior to me before somebody else was enough of the bold artist type that can recognize such a vision and put it into the world without having such stuff already around. 
For this reason also the genre name makes some sense to me. I hadn't thought about it as being part of "prog" though before I found this site, but I'm fine with it being here - actually to me "prog" is a much more problematic descriptor than "post rock", so the discussion to what extent post rock is part of "progressive rock"  is more a discussion about the meaning of the latter than the former. I see the connection though.

One thing more, although the similarities are still there, emotionally the likes of Neu! and Glenn Branca feel quite different to me, to the extent that I could only relate to Neu! emotionally far later than I discovered post rock for me. I knew them before post rock but they'd leave me very cold at the time; I'd perceive them too much as being located in an emotional nowhereland and their music felt like "study" to me, trying this stuff out for the sake of exploration, rather than expression of something I could relate to. 

Pharaaum View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharaaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 08:08
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Most, like Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, are just dull, dull, dull, a bit like very third rate Pink Floyd. A very few are actively unpleasant.
that's not a valid criticism. please develop further. "dull" is just about the most wrong term you could use to describe this album unless you're allergic to ambient music
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:32
Average Post-Rock fan: Godspeed's Lift Your Skinny Fists is amazing! Four sides, four songs? Genius.
Average Prog-Rock fan: Topographic Oceans is a bloated mess. Too much padding and filler. Awful. (But Oldfield's Incantations and The Softies' Third are brilliant.)
Me: I love it all.
My wife: I'm outta here.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 12:28
Because calling a genre post rock sounds better than calling it post grunge.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 14:28
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I once suggested that post rock got at least some of it's inspiration from kraut rock and someone chopped my head off for saying that. 

So if you're head is missing then you're thinking with whaaaaat? LOL

Obviously, a head is not necessary for thinking. Just ask my taste buds, stomach, and male member.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 14:35
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

BTW...I like Stereolab and used to buy their albums some years back...why aren't they on PA since they get thrown into this category at times?

Agreed!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 14:43
My question would be: If Simon Reynolds (the man credited with "coining" the term "Post Rock" when reviewing Graham Sutton's BARK PSYCHOSIS album, Hex) was referring to the music of Hex with his term assignation, what did he call all of those David Sylvian albums in the 1980s? And Eno and Deuter and Moebus-Rodelius, etc.? 

P.S. I like the minimalist rock with crescendo descriptions. But, then, where do all the drumless neoclassical bands like Cicada, Sunwrae, and Five-Storey Ensemble fit? (Does progressive rock have to have the three-, four-, or five-piece rock combo at its core?)
Drew Fisher
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 15:55
Originally posted by Pharaaum Pharaaum wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Most, like Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, are just dull, dull, dull, a bit like very third rate Pink Floyd. A very few are actively unpleasant.
that's not a valid criticism. please develop further. "dull" is just about the most wrong term you could use to describe this album unless you're allergic to ambient music

Dull because I can listen to it and not be able to remember anything of it after it's finished.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 16:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Because calling a genre post rock sounds better than calling it post grunge.

Actually there IS a term of a style of music called post grunge :P

Shouldn't all 21st century prog be called post-prog?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

BTW...I like Stereolab and used to buy their albums some years back...why aren't they on PA since they get thrown into this category at times?

Agreed!

Someone mentioned Stereolab not too long ago and i quickly shot them down. I'm a huge STereolab fan. Have most of their albums. Much of their music was based off of Krautrock actually. I could see prog related. They basically created their whole career by stealing a style that Family Fodder put out on one song on their debut album.

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 16:25

My question would be: If Simon Reynolds (the man credited with "coining" the term "Post Rock" when reviewing Graham Sutton's BARK PSYCHOSIS album, Hex) was referring to the music of Hex with his term assignation, what did he call all of those David Sylvian albums in the 1980s? And Eno and Deuter and Moebus-Rodelius, etc.? 
Reynolds probably didn't consider them even rock-related. 
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 16:25
I love post rock. I am not so much an expert as to speak much on it, but I like how it takes its time and really has a tendency to come together strong. I think it is a wonderful vessel for deep emotive content. Bands like Red Sparrowes and Isis really do it for me.  I'm babbling, I know, but it is difficult to speak about an entire genre without being just a little vague. 
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 20:05
No genre can be described objectively. Definition will always differ from person to person, therefore post-rock is whatever you think it is. All discussions about "this is post-rock" or "this is not post-rock" (or any genre) are bound to be a waste of time and energy.

Edited by Junges - May 21 2018 at 20:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 21:07
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

No genre can be described objectively. Definition will always differ from person to person, therefore post-rock is whatever you think it is. All discussions about "this is post-rock" or "this is not post-rock" (or any genre) are bound to be a waste of time and energy.

OK, if it's whatever we think it is, i'll choose this Big smile

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:10
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

I completely agree. Beyond friendly analysis and discussion, this almost always devolved into someone arguing personally with another, or suddenly a band is singled out (all of a sudden one of the newer threads is all about The Beatles, lol). Good for reference, bad for deep discussion IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 02:52
Pop:                 _^^_

Regular Prog:    _—**—^—**—__—=*##&##*=—_

Post-rock:        _______—————====^^^§§§!!!!_

Avant/ RIO:      #_]>~€_}}…$§|***,.£&#@

Simple, really.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 22 2018 at 02:52
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 04:21
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Simple, really.

This makes a strange amount of sense. Might be the best post in this thread so far.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 13:23

P.S. I like the minimalist rock with crescendo descriptions. But, then, where do all the drumless neoclassical bands like Cicada, Sunwrae, and Five-Storey Ensemble fit? (Does progressive rock have to have the three-, four-, or five-piece rock combo at its core?)

Progressive rock definitely does need to be rock at his core. I don't think it really matters if it's a two piece of a 18 piece, but it can't be progressive ROCK without the rock. 

And you've answered you own question RE: Cicade and FSE.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 14:08
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Simple, really.

Love it! So post-commentary!!!!!
SmileTongueWinkCryBig smileLOLEmbarrassedConfusedClapWackoBeer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>