Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asia-inspired bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asia-inspired bands

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie
Avatar

Joined: September 11 2012
Location: Colorado
Status: Offline
Points: 77
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asia-inspired bands
    Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:29
The bass player in my band loves Asia, and the question came up.  Are there any bands out there, past or present, heavily inspired by Asia?  I think possibly GTR sounds a lot like Asia.  Maybe Emerson, Lake, and Powell too? 
Back to Top
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 09 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 2892
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 11:41
I don't know of any. I think Asia failed to reach their full potential, and therefore did not have the impact that many people would have expected from them.
Back to Top
Cristi View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Crossover Team

Joined: July 27 2006
Location: wonderland
Status: Offline
Points: 5106
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:11
I don't think Asia inspired anyone. There are lots of bands with keys in the 80s though, maybe check that out?!
Back to Top
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 02 2016
Location: Philly burbs
Status: Offline
Points: 2402
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:31
I can't think of any. Enchant maybe a little bit but probably more Rush with them. I think because Asia were more pop oriented most bands take inspiration from the bands the members came from rather than Asia themselves. There may however be some bands not part of the prog scene who are inspired by Asia but I don't know who they are(if they even exist). 

Ok, I just looked it up on allmusic and here are the bands listed who apparently followed Asia: 

As you can see some of them are not prog.


Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 21 2018 at 13:32
When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Brexit Empire
Status: Offline
Points: 9599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:33
None as Asia were strictly the followers of 80's musical trends and did not start any.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 23 2014
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 1151
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:35
World Trade.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Brexit Empire
Status: Offline
Points: 9599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can't think of any. Enchant maybe a little bit but probably more Rush with them. I think because Asia were more pop oriented most bands take inspiration from the bands the members came from rather than Asia themselves. There may however be some bands not part of the prog scene who are inspired by Asia but I don't know who they are(if they even exist). 

Ok, I just looked it up on allmusic and here are the bands listed who apparently followed Asia: 

As you can see some of them are not prog.
Following bands alphabetically doesn't count but it sure is funny! LOL rof!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic & C/JRF Prog Team

Joined: August 12 2007
Location: Arlington, Wash
Status: Offline
Points: 4718
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:41
^Its no wonder hardly anyone follows Zappa!
There is no act more pretentious and self-indulgent than labeling another's art as pretentious and self-indulgent.
Always copy to clipboard before clicking Post Reply.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Brexit Empire
Status: Offline
Points: 9599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:42
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

World Trade.
For the record World Trade always said that they were inspired by Yes but it was a good try.

Edited by SteveG - May 21 2018 at 15:06
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Brexit Empire
Status: Offline
Points: 9599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:43
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Its no wonder hardly anyone follows Zappa!
LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
Cristi View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Crossover Team

Joined: July 27 2006
Location: wonderland
Status: Offline
Points: 5106
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can't think of any. Enchant maybe a little bit but probably more Rush with them. I think because Asia were more pop oriented most bands take inspiration from the bands the members came from rather than Asia themselves. There may however be some bands not part of the prog scene who are inspired by Asia but I don't know who they are(if they even exist). 

Ok, I just looked it up on allmusic and here are the bands listed who apparently followed Asia: 

As you can see some of them are not prog.

where did these bands follow Asia? into the hallway? the street? a dark alley? 
Back to Top
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 20 2010
Location: Tomorrowland
Status: Offline
Points: 3090
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 15:02
oh you meant Asia "the band" 
Back to Top
antonio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie


Joined: January 14 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 24
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 10:36
Everest " Same" 1984 Canada.
Blind Owl " Debut At Dusk" 1988 Usa
Both albums are totally influenced by Asia.
Back to Top
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 11 2014
Location: Brexit Empire
Status: Offline
Points: 9599
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 15:06
^I disagree but these neo prog bands do sound a little like Asia. And Rush, and Genesis and Kansas and..
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Back to Top
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 16 2009
Location: rio de janeiro
Status: Offline
Points: 790
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 18:10
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I don't know of any. I think Asia failed to reach their full potential, and therefore did not have the impact that many people would have expected from them.
 
 I entirely agree I created a great expectation about ASIA and despite I think his first release is a good album, stayed very far from the sound which I have waited !!!
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 963
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 18:32
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can't think of any. Enchant maybe a little bit but probably more Rush with them. I think because Asia were more pop oriented most bands take inspiration from the bands the members came from rather than Asia themselves. There may however be some bands not part of the prog scene who are inspired by Asia but I don't know who they are(if they even exist). 

Ok, I just looked it up on allmusic and here are the bands listed who apparently followed Asia: 

As you can see some of them are not prog.
 

Yeah Europe I could see. The final countdown does sound a little like only time will tell, openings anyway. 
Back to Top
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 26 2017
Location: North Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 963
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 18:34
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^Its no wonder hardly anyone follows Zappa!
 

He was one of a kind. Never be another Frank Zappa that's for sure. 
Back to Top
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 18 2014
Location: Mar Vista, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 3039
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 21:18
No, NO! Anything but that!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Back to Top
progaardvark View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: June 14 2007
Location: Sea of Peas
Status: Offline
Points: 14871
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 06:34
Sometimes Journey reminds me of Asia, but Journey pre-dates Asia by several years.

Aardvark, aardvark? I smell dryer sheets.
Superluminal Pachyderm
Back to Top
Cristi View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Crossover Team

Joined: July 27 2006
Location: wonderland
Status: Offline
Points: 5106
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 02:50
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can't think of any. Enchant maybe a little bit but probably more Rush with them. I think because Asia were more pop oriented most bands take inspiration from the bands the members came from rather than Asia themselves. There may however be some bands not part of the prog scene who are inspired by Asia but I don't know who they are(if they even exist). 

Ok, I just looked it up on allmusic and here are the bands listed who apparently followed Asia: 

As you can see some of them are not prog.
 

Yeah Europe I could see. The final countdown does sound a little like only time will tell, openings anyway. 

not true, the two bands have nothing in common, other than the fact that they have keyboardists (LOL). 

none of the bands in that list were inspired by Asia. Seeing Enchant in the list, especially, gives me a headache. :)))
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.090 seconds.