Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asia-inspired bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 09:42
Maybe the Canadian band, Saga....this was a big radio hit at the same time as Asia's debut....GTR is another good guess.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 09:44
^ no, since Saga formed in 1977 so... 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 10:52
Try this thread for some pretty obscure Asia-like music: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112848.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 11:15
Following the band Asia would lead you to the 7th circle of hell, where bands that waste their immense talents on frivolous pop confections sit and wait for the judgement day. And in place of blind Justice, there is an avenging angel with ear plugs.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 11:32
^ LOL......
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 17:23
GTR!  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 17:32
Asia influenced a whole decade of mainstream pop - Cutting Crew, Mr. Mister, Opus, even Yes! There were a whole string of bands with those shrill and shiny keys, booming drums and out-front vocals that cuts to the heart of the Asia sound.  Sure, Asia was just following the lead of first generation prog bands who'd melded their sound with the new wave of music, but massive publicity thru MTV and FM radio pushed their sound to the forefront.  It seemed everything sounded like Asia for a while in the early-to-mid 80s.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 04:35
You can still be influenced by a band that was formed later. Saga  , maybe Styx and Journey are all reasonable punts. Could even throw in Toto and Boston. Asia fulfilled their entire potential on the debut album which was to deliver a shiny AOR friendly prog album that attract radio airplay (but only in America that is). 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 10:15
Originally posted by Lamneth Lamneth wrote:

The bass player in my band loves Asia, and the question came up.  Are there any bands out there, past or present, heavily inspired by Asia?  I think possibly GTR sounds a lot like Asia.  Maybe Emerson, Lake, and Powell too? 

I just found out about these lads, and I think they are worth a listen: 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 12:38
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Maybe the Canadian band, Saga....this was a big radio hit at the same time as Asia's debut....GTR is another good guess.

Saga is most definitely their own animal. Fast forward a couple albums, though, to Behaviour and Worlds Apart, and you'll hear a decidedly more commercial Saga.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 12:42
Btw, the obvious answer is:

John Payne's Asia

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 17:49
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

GTR!  
Good one, Intruder! I almost forgot about this one.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 02:11
I get some of that Asia ‘arena bombast’ feel on some of the more complex Jefferson Starship tunes.........
.......believe me, I do...........somehow.........dunno, try Alien or Awakening.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12