Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 (or 10) jazz fusion artists.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 04:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

John Coltrane

Pharoah Sanders

Love them both but fusion?

Yea, I see you’re point, but I do think they both crossed the line at times.

I believe Frank Zappa has also done some jazz fusion work; The Grand Wazoo comes to mind.

I think most everyone would agree about Zappa but well John Coltrane who died in 1967 never really fused his jazz with the elements that defines jazz fusion. Not too my ears at least - but we obviously hear different things. 
Well, he went to the avant/free direction just before his death, there were even flute used in his final album, but maybe not fusion. I quess Sun Ra hadn´t also ever said fusion?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 13:30
^??? I don't get what the use of flute has to do with anything? Yusef Later, Bobby Jaspar, Herbie Mann, Eric Dolphy, Buddy Collette mm... recorded albums from the 1950's and on playing the jazzflute. Neither do I understand avant/free jazz as an argument for being fusion... Do you guys know what fusion is - or rather what it isn't? Anyway Sun Ra is pretty much jazz fusion on his later 70's albums such as Lanquidity.
starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starless2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 20:10
Brand X
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Secret Oyster
Kraan
Santana
Jean Luc Ponty
Pierre Moerlen's Gong
Passport
Gilgamesh
Steely Dan
Iceberg
Allan Holdsworth

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 22:55

^??? I don't get what the use of flute has to do with anything? Yusef Later, Bobby Jaspar, Herbie Mann, Eric Dolphy, Buddy Collette mm... recorded albums from the 1950's and on playing the jazzflute. Neither do I understand avant/free jazz as an argument for being fusion... Do you guys know what fusion is - or rather what it isn't? Anyway Sun Ra is pretty much jazz fusion on his later 70's albums such as Lanquidity.
Here´s defination from wikipedia:
Jazz fusion (also known as fusion)[1] is a musical genre that developed in the late 1960s when musicians combined aspects of jazz harmony and improvisation with styles such as funkrockrhythm and blues, and Latin jazz. During this time many jazz musicians began experimenting with electric instruments and amplified sound for the first time, as well as electronic effects and synthesizers. Many of the developments during the late 1960s and early 1970s have since become established elements of jazz fusion musical practice

I quess you´re thinking Coltrane is not fusion, because he hasn´t got strict elements from rock, funk, rhythm & Blues or Latin Jazz or used any electronic instruments. Anyway I think he started to fuse elements outside ordinary jazz already in his great "a Love Supreme"-album (I hear there influences from Asian music). But I believe no-one is saying him Fusion artist.

I am just tired about this "what are prog what are not what are fusion what are not". Not going to continue this anymore.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 01:23
^ You can be tired of this as much as you like I don't really care - you're wrong and I'm right. Yep it as it says developed in the late 60's. Jazz fusing itself with blues, latin, asian music... all kinds of genres has been there from the very beginning. But that does not make Duke Ellington or Sidney Bechet jazz fusion

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 27 2018 at 01:26
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 02:28
Passport
Brand X
Ragnarok
Finnforest
Colosseum (I & II)
National Health
Return to Forever
Casiopea
PSI
Soft Machine
Planet X

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 02:33
^^Sure you´re absolutely right. Still I am saying this "it`s not belong into this genre" is just so stupid. Canterbury prog is great example. I think originally it was supposed to mean only progbands that were in the seventies in Canterbury. But in PA there are put newer bands that haven´t been even in the near of Canterbury, just because someone is thinking they´re sounding the same. Also linked this fusion thing, my opinion is that Soft Machine was fusion already in the beginning (maybe you´re thinking vocals are forbidden in fusion), but it´s put in Canterbury in PA, because it´s one of the bands formed from the origin "The Wilde Flowers". 

Really have to say I don´t care what has put to where, I just thing it´s stupid when someone is saying something as his favourite artist in some thread somebody has to say "it doesn´t belong into this or that genre". To me it´s totally same if someone is saying his greatest progartist Kajagoogoo. If someone is totally pissed what Kajagoogoo is playing, it´s his problem.

Edited by Mortte - May 27 2018 at 02:34
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 06:53

I never really gave much thought to categories and especially sub-categories of musical genres.  Maybe calling out some of Coltrane’s music as jazz fusion is like calling out Rush as Rap… Roll the Bones Big smile

Anyway, not of that really matters to me.  Here’s another excellent fusion collaboration not mentioned yet.  At least I think its Jazz fusion.

Pastorius/Metheny/Ditmas/Bley

RomerilloLaMissFripp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RomerilloLaMissFripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 07:42
If eclectic counted Birds and Buildings/Diagonal/King Crimson/Delirium/Satin Whale/Cabezas de Cera and tons of others would be here. Anyway, this is way more than ten, but I love fusion so here:
-Soft Machine
-Blue Effect
-Mahavishnu Orchesta
-Out of Focus
-Brainstorm
-Secret Oyster
-Area
-Nektar
-Fulano
-Passport
-Catapilla
-Mar de Robles
-Perigeo
-Uzva
-Coma
-Jazz Q
-Aera
-Nucleus
-Sloche
-Good God
-Discus
-Duello Madre
-Pocket Orchestra
-The Viola Crayola
-Machine and the Synergetic Nuts
-The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble
-Weather Report
-Arti & Mestieri
-Hiromi Uehara
-Iceberg
And tons of others like Caldera, Mahagon, Fusion Orchestra, Pekka Pohjola, Messengers, etc, etc.
Edit: Can't believe I forgot Soft Machine, them and KC were the ones to introduce me to fusion. Shocked

Edited by RomerilloLaMissFripp - May 27 2018 at 07:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 12:27
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^^Sure you´re absolutely right. Still I am saying this "it`s not belong into this genre" is just so stupid. Canterbury prog is great example. I think originally it was supposed to mean only progbands that were in the seventies in Canterbury. But in PA there are put newer bands that haven´t been even in the near of Canterbury, just because someone is thinking they´re sounding the same. Also linked this fusion thing, my opinion is that Soft Machine was fusion already in the beginning (maybe you´re thinking vocals are forbidden in fusion), but it´s put in Canterbury in PA, because it´s one of the bands formed from the origin "The Wilde Flowers". 

Really have to say I don´t care what has put to where, I just thing it´s stupid when someone is saying something as his favourite artist in some thread somebody has to say "it doesn´t belong into this or that genre". To me it´s totally same if someone is saying his greatest progartist Kajagoogoo. If someone is totally pissed what Kajagoogoo is playing, it´s his problem.
Well I'm partly here for a music discussion of sorts. That means there will be more or less informed opinions. If you have a problem with that you're maybe to precious for interacting online. If someone on the internet claims Kajagoogoo is the best progband ever I don't personally care about the delusions or this complete stranger - but I wouldn't not write that its wrong and misinformed to keep things cozy either.

You may think its stupid for me to claim that John Coltrane doesn't fit in to the fusion-genre - I think its stupid to place him somewhere he doesn't belong. We got plenty more precise, meaningful, existing terms to use for all his periods. Its not like I'm obsessed with genres or anything but they can be a handy tool. Miles Davis lived long enough to make In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew etc... Coltrane never did anything resembling that in any way. I'm sure he would have made something fusion-related that would continued to blown our minds even 50 years later if he had the chance though. 

Canterbury will always be a flawed "genre" because like Krautrock it mainly describes a scene that took place somewhere more or less specific. But if a new band from Scandinavia are heavily inspired by Can, Faust and Amon Düül II I would probably use the term Kraut nevertheless - although I know its technically wrong. As it would still be kind of helpful.  

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 27 2018 at 12:30
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 03:15
Originally posted by RomerilloLaMissFripp RomerilloLaMissFripp wrote:

If eclectic counted Birds and Buildings/Diagonal/King Crimson/Delirium/Satin Whale/Cabezas de Cera and tons of others would be here. Anyway, this is way more than ten, but I love fusion so here:
-Soft Machine
-Blue Effect
-Mahavishnu Orchesta
-Out of Focus
-Brainstorm
-Secret Oyster
-Area
-Nektar
-Fulano
-Passport
-Catapilla
-Mar de Robles
-Perigeo
-Uzva
-Coma
-Jazz Q
-Aera
-Nucleus
-Sloche
-Good God
-Discus
-Duello Madre
-Pocket Orchestra
-The Viola Crayola
-Machine and the Synergetic Nuts
-The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble
-Weather Report
-Arti & Mestieri
-Hiromi Uehara
-Iceberg
And tons of others like Caldera, Mahagon, Fusion Orchestra, Pekka Pohjola, Messengers, etc, etc.
Edit: Can't believe I forgot Soft Machine, them and KC were the ones to introduce me to fusion. Shocked

Nice list! Uzva probably would've made my own list if I hadn't forgotten about them . Three albums of solid gold.

Machine & The Synergetic Nuts are also too much overlooked - Leap Second Neutral is one of the hidden gems of the Cuneiform catalogue.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 28 2018 at 03:17
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2018 at 08:57
Tony Williams Lifetime
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report
Larry Coryell & Eleventh House
Herbie Hancock & Headhunters
Return To Forever
The New Tony Williams Lifetime
Brand X
Bruford
Allan Holdsworth

Deafmoon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RomerilloLaMissFripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:32
Don't know if it's been added yet but all of Septober Energy is amazing too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgrDxr4EbaI&feature=youtu.be
Edit: Fixed the link. 

Edited by RomerilloLaMissFripp - May 29 2018 at 11:36
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RomerilloLaMissFripp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 21:31
Eider Stellaire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGItgCuAvA
Pierre Moerlen's Gong https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKvglDzBU4
Katamaran https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDqUaWHWH0
Exil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9IxggeHwJw 
Dark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-yrPd8n2Qw
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 20:21
In alphabetical order:

7 For 4
Arcana
Brand X
Etna
Antoine Fafard
Herbie Hancock
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Niacin
Oregon
Passport
Return To Forever
Santana
Sloche
Soft Machine
David Torn
Weather Report
fetfet1210 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fetfet1210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 15:23
1. Frank Zappa
2. The Aristocrats
3. Mahavishnu Orchestra
4. Brand X
5. Soft Machine

Honorable Mentions: Steely Dan, Weather Report, Karate

Edited by fetfet1210 - June 13 2018 at 15:25
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 20:28
The Mahavishnu Orchestra
Billy Cobham
Al DiMeola
Allan Holdsworth
The Eleventh House with Larry Coryell
Miles Davis
Dixie Dregs
Jaco Pastorious
John Scofield
John Abercrombe
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 05:03
Soft Machine
Frank Zappa
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever
Passport
Weather Report
Gilgamesh
Miles Davis
Santana
Jeff Beck 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123