Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Talk Talk vs. Sigur Rós

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Post-rock pioneers vs. post-rock giants!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [68.00%]
16 [32.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 11:10
Talk Talk
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 11:15
I like Sigur Ros but it's TT for me easily, they did make the best album of all time after all.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 19:54
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I love both of these to pieces. Sigur Ros are great but Talk Talk are among my top 5 bands.

this
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2021 at 21:03
I voted Sigur Ros and am surprised at how one sided this is. I have an appreciation for Talk Talk but enjoy Sigur Ros' music more.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 03:52
Spirit of Eden is one of my fave albums ever.

No album by Sigur Ros touch that peak.

I love Laughing Stock and Hollis solo too.

But...

But...

If I don't consider Hollis solo,

Talk Talk can offer just two great albums (The Coulour of Spring is very good but not great)

Instead Sigur Ros can offer many great albums, more than Talk Talk.

So, it's not easy to choose.

I see few votes for Sigur Ros, so I vote them.

I have seen them in concert and it was wonderful.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 06:41
I find Sigur Rós always interesting and engaging whereas I've never made it through a Talk Talk album without my attention straying. It's like driving a car long distances: you get there but can't remember how you did so.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 08:09
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Talk Talk can offer just two great albums (The Coulour of Spring is very good but not great)

I know that you distinguish between your personal taste and an assessment using more "objective" criteria. Is this assessment of Colour of Spring personal or meant to be more general? Obviously I also only have my subjective view, but I think that if we don't ask for "progginess", it is one of the best art rock/pop albums ever, with brilliant songs, fascinating variety, and groundbreaking arrangements that paved the way for what was to come. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 09:04
Talk Talk, but only for their first three Synth-Pop albums.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Hi Psychedelic Paul!!

I enjoy every album of talk talk, but i only consider synth pop - New Romantic their first 2 albums, "The Party Is Over" and "It´s My Life", "The Colour Of Spring" its a very different style, sophisty - Art pop and really great
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 10:39
Originally posted by Progmind Progmind wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Hi Psychedelic Paul!!

I enjoy every album of talk talk, but i only consider synth pop - New Romantic their first 2 albums, "The Party Is Over" and "It´s My Life", "The Colour Of Spring" its a very different style, sophisty - Art pop and really great
Their first classic album is still my favourite Today and every day. Smile
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2021 at 15:17
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I know that you distinguish between your personal taste and an assessment using more "objective" criteria. Is this assessment of Colour of Spring personal or meant to be more general? Obviously I also only have my subjective view, but I think that if we don't ask for "progginess", it is one of the best art rock/pop albums ever, with brilliant songs, fascinating variety, and groundbreaking arrangements that paved the way for what was to come. 

Well, looking back at my reviews, I gave 4 stars to The Color of Spring, so I consider it a remarkable album. I love Living in Another World, to which I am also romantically linked (the video was one of those that struck me most in my adolescence), and Happiness is Easy. I consider Lifes What You Make It and Time It's Time weak but not bad songs, and overall the album seems heterogeneous to me, between great songs, still quite commercial ones and two unripe but interesting songs (April 5th and Chameleon Day) that advance into a new direction, that of the post-rock of Spirit of Eden. All in all it is a "transition album", but there are also masterpieces among the transition albums. 

I don't know if The Colour of Spring is one of the best pop / art-rock albums ever, probably in my ranking it wouldn't be in the very first places of this hypothetical ranking, but it could be in the top places of the pop / art-rock albums of the Eighty.

In fact, I am attached to Talk Talks not only because I consider them musically great, but also because I am attracted to Hollis' dramatic voice and to the human and musical journey he has made. Talk Talk is a very strange group with a unique coherence: in 5 albums it has produced 4 different genres of music, going more and more in the direction of experimentation free from any commercial reasoning. I love this kind of courage.

Sigur Ros are indebted to them, like any other Post-rock group.

I have not listened to Sigur Ros'albums with the same attention and consistency used for Talk Talk, but I had promised myself to do so after seeing them in concert 4 years ago. At least 4 of their albums, maybe 5, seemed remarkable to me, but I still have to evaluate them in a "scientific" way. Of course, unlike Talk Talk they have already had the time to repeat themselves, and to release albums (some of the latest ones) due more to mastering the "tricks of the trade" than to the most genuine inspiration.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 01:21
Sigur Rós     
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2022 at 01:36
3 years ago I'd have said Sigur Ros but I've been loving the classic later Talk Talk albums the last couple of years and SR took a bit of a hit with my recent live experience. So today it's an easy TT win.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12