8 [12.50%]
18 [28.13%]
8 [12.50%]
2 [3.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 15:33
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Friede and I will listen to all these albums again. but I am pretty certain "Elegant Gypsy" won't get my vote; too much needless instrumental w**king on it for my taste. an inherent flaw of di Meola's playing, not only on this album. he likes to brag about being fastest hand in the West. less is often more; a lesson he has unfortunately never learned.

I am not too fond of "Spectrum" either. maybe the vote will go to Soft Machine, but we will see.

"Black Market" would in my opinion have been a better contender for Weather Report, by the way. my favorite album of them

I actually voted for Elegant Gypsy for the same reason you won't . Some amazing instrumental passages here ( What can I say, I like the w***king, Wink)

if he inserted some slow notes from time to time I would not mind, but this high speed kindergarten is ridiculous

Edited by BaldJean - May 23 2018 at 15:33

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 16:08
BaldJean, have you heard Splendido Hotel and Electric Rendezvous? You may like those better than his earlier solo albums.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 16:14
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

BaldJean, have you heard Splendido Hotel and Electric Rendezvous? You may like those better than his earlier solo albums.

no, I haven't; we gave up on Al di Meola after having listened to his first two albums several times

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 16:57
Friede and I just listened to "Electric Rendezvouz" on youtube, and his playing is indeed much more tasteful on this album. you can put so much more expression into slow notes, especially on string instruments. thanks for the suggestion

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 17:12
Romantic Warrior.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 17:50
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Friede and I just listened to "Electric Rendezvouz" on youtube, and his playing is indeed much more tasteful on this album. you can put so much more expression into slow notes, especially on string instruments. thanks for the suggestion

"God Bird Change" is wonderful. Clap
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 19:50
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Softies or Mahavishywishy? I can't decide.

Same here but I finally went with the Softs over Mahavishnu, Cobham is my runner up to those. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 19:54
I love Weather Report but I prefer 'Sweetnighter'.

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2018 at 23:10
Romantic Warrior with Birds of Fire and Heavy Weather trailing behind. I would have chosen Moroccan Roll as the Brand X album.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 02:25
I am not fusion guy, not heard these all but Third is so great that I voted that.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 03:39
Not very much into the genre, but Heavy Weather is a nice one.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 06:45
Originally posted by iancat87 iancat87 wrote:

Third is my fave among these, but Birds of Fire is also incredible. My opinion on Weather Report though is that I like the first album more than Heavy Weather.
Yeah their debut is fantastic and I Love I Sing the Body Electric as well... other than that I'm not that much of a fan. I think Black Market  positively stands out among the later ones though. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 06:59
Love them all, but Birds of Fire is one my favorites.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 12:35
Toss up between Mahavishnu' and Unorthodox'.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 16:24
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 19:49
Soft Machine's Third is one of my favourite albums. So unique, a completely distinct musical sensibility. The first minutes of Facelift (Ratledge's distorted organ solo) are for me some of the best music ever recorded.

I am not sure I would categorize it as Jazz Fusion though (at least not in the normal sense as in Mahavishnu Orch., or Return to Forever). Here on PA it is classified as Canterbury...
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 20:50
Birds of Fire. Oh yeah.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 02:22
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

Soft Machine's Third is one of my favourite albums. So unique, a completely distinct musical sensibility. The first minutes of Facelift (Ratledge's distorted organ solo) are for me some of the best music ever recorded.

I am not sure I would categorize it as Jazz Fusion though (at least not in the normal sense as in Mahavishnu Orch., or Return to Forever). Here on PA it is classified as Canterbury...
If Third was Soft Machine's debut album they wouldn't have been in the Canterbury-section but jazz rock fusion. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 04:52
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

If Third was Soft Machine's debut album they wouldn't have been in the Canterbury-section but jazz rock fusion. 
I think there was quite much jazz elements already in the beginning. Also they played their songs much longer in gigs, just watched yesterday great live piece from 1968, when Ayers was still in it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 13:33
^my point is that only Soft machine's first two albums truly resembles Canterbury, Third maybe a little bit, but from Fourth and on they are purely jazzrock-fusion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>