Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You've lost me on Day #1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starless Khatru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You've lost me on Day #1
    Posted: May 23 2018 at 22:28
Newbie here.

I had hoped to become a regular contributor to ProgArchives, but I've just spent more than an hour on a lengthy review, only to be faced with a CloudFlare verification page followed by the message "you cannot edit others' reviews", and the realisation that my review wasn't saved at all.

There are clearly severe technical issues with the site in its current state that make it far too much of a risk for me bother contributing.

In summary:

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 03:54
The implementation of verification pages, CAPTCHA's and that kind of stuff hasn't done much good to the site, I agree. Maybe it will help to write and save the reviews using a text editor and use some Ctrl-A/Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to put them on the site. I use this method for forum posts to overcome an Access Denied-error on the first attempt and it works pretty well.

Maybe this one will be more applicable Wink:

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 05:06
Preaching to the choir, honey
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 06:40
I have a Mac and fortunately never have any problems with this site. Yes, i have to click on the pictures and guess if that corner counts or not even though it's clearly a small part of the car or whatever but for the most part i haven't experienced the horrors that some are.

It can not be emphasized enought that when reviews or any other content is shared on site's like this that it should be created and saved (often to avoid crashes of any kind) on some sort of document program and only then be coped from there and transfered to sites like this. Of course, this has it's own set of headaches mostly resulting from various symbol charcacters and foreign letters with diacritical marks that shows up as gobblety-goop and have to be replaced one by one. 

Nothing in life worth doing is easy! Sorry to see you go.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2018 at 17:46
Hold on there, bubba.   First, on any site (especially one you're unfamiliar with), nay, anytime you write something online, you save your work.   Period.

Second, you've only made two posts, so you won't be able to do much of anything around here until you've posted ten times or so.

But you're outta here.   Don't let the door hit you.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 02:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Hold on there, bubba.   First, on any site (especially one you're unfamiliar with), nay, anytime you write something online, you save your work.   Period.

Second, you've only made two posts, so you won't be able to do much of anything around here until you've posted ten times or so.

But you're outta here.   Don't let the door hit you.

Two? Only one. Starting a thread gives an additional point.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 02:58
Yeah, you won't like it here if you're not ready to CNTRL + C, CNTRL + V everything you do/post.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Yeah, you won't like it here if you're not ready to CNTRL + C, CNTRL + V everything you do/post.

I would always type a review into Word/Notepad first whatever the website, there's always a chance of your PC/internet/hard drive/whatever crashing in the middle of it, standard practice really for something you don't want to lose or have to retype.

Edited by chopper - May 25 2018 at 03:51
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 04:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I would always type a review into Word/Notepad first whatever the website, there's always a chance of your PC/internet/hard drive/whatever crashing in the middle of it, standard practice really for something you don't want to lose or have to retype.

Correct and agreed. I ALWAYS paste my stuff to wordpad. You never know what's going to happen, lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 08:39
^When I wrote my first review to PA, I didn´t copied it, but luckily I managed to go back in the page where my text was. After that I have always copied it.
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guillermo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 08:46
I wrote a review for an album this week using Microsoft Word. Then, I tried to post it in Prog Archives. But after passing the annoying "Captcha tests", I couldn't post it. There was a message on the screen : "There is already a review for this album written by you...". After trying to post it several times, I finally couldn't do it. I never saw it in my reviews list or in the Prog Archives main page. Am I blocked?

I didn´t write and post any reviews in this website since a year ago when the annoying "captchas tests" started in this website. Things have not improved since then. There is a total lack of consideration for the reviewers / contributors of this website to use this annoying "security tests". It was enjoyable to visit this website and to collaborate with it a long time ago. It isn't enjoyable anymore. So, I'm not going to post reviews in Prog Archives  anymore, I think.
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 09:38
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

I wrote a review for an album this week using Microsoft Word. Then, I tried to post it in Prog Archives. But after passing the annoying "Captcha tests", I couldn't post it. There was a message on the screen : "There is already a review for this album written by you...". After trying to post it several times, I finally couldn't do it. I never saw it in my reviews list or in the Prog Archives main page. Am I blocked?

I didn´t write and post any reviews in this website since a year ago when the annoying "captchas tests" started in this website. Things have not improved since then. There is a total lack of consideration for the reviewers / contributors of this website to use this annoying "security tests". It was enjoyable to visit this website and to collaborate with it a long time ago. It isn't enjoyable anymore. So, I'm not going to post reviews in Prog Archives  anymore, I think.

Maybe you can log in on the "Log in" tab, choose to edit your old reviews and find the review on top of the list. If so, you can edit it copy and paste the contents of the review from Word. If this won't work, it's a bug.

The captcha's remain inconvenient and annoying, as every posting forum member knows, and no one can do anything about it, except for the guy in the one way traffic command center under the vastness of Québec where access of daylight is denied Ouch.

Edited by someone_else - July 13 2018 at 09:53
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guillermo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:10
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Maybe you can log in on the "Log in" tab, choose to edit your old reviews and find the review on top of the list. If so, you can edit it copy and paste the contents of the review from Word. If this won't work, it's a bug.

The captcha's remain inconvenient and annoying, as every posting forum member knows, and no one can do anything about it, except for the guy in the one way traffic command center under the vastness of Québec where access of daylight is denied Ouch.

Thanks. I did what you suggested. The review isn´t there. So, it is a bug....or I am blocked in this website...and nobody told me why. Anyway, to post this reply, I had to pass the annoying catchas tests again.
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:13

I'm with you Guillermo. I don't write reviews anymore...and nowadays I actually have time for them and generally feel good about doing some, but I've run into the same problem as you...over and over again.
PA doesn't deserve reviews from anyone at the time being imo. It's simply not worth the hassle. I refuse to post any review until something is done about this situation. It is a matter of principle really.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:14
Oh and believe me: there is no one blocking you. There is just no rhyme or reason to captcha
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 10:17
This site is buggy. It's happened to me as well, but I can't remember if I got around it. Have you tried to quick rate the album? If you could, then perhaps you could edit the rating and add in the review. I have no idea if that could work. Also, I have found that regularly clearing my cache can help with Captcha.

Edited by Logan - July 13 2018 at 10:18
 Post Reply Post Reply