Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the Bald Angels plan new recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Bald Angels plan new recordings
    Posted: May 31 2018 at 06:36
we are planning another CD, a double CD even, or perhaps even a quadruple CD or maybe a series of 4 single albums for our band Bald Angels; what exactly it will be is undetermined yet and will be decided during the recording sessions. it will definitely be a concept album (or a series of connected concept albums) with our most experimental music so far.

the album or albums will describe our religion. it is clear that there will be only 4 very long tracks, each track describing the celebrations on the 4 holidays of our religions, the solstices and equinoxes. it will start with the spring equinox followed by the summer solstice, the fall equinox and the winter solstice.

my sister Bea will guest on all albums and add diverse kinds of flute (she collects different kinds of flutes from all around the world, like her idol Didier Malherbe) and violin, and there will be lots of other guest musicians adding all kinds of unusual instruments.

this is all still very much in the planning state; we came up with the idea only yesterday. the album or albums will come with an extensive booklet describing the rituals we perform on our holidays and lots of other information about our religion, like for example the 13-months calendar we designed for our religion.

more information will follow later when the plans have become more concrete. but there definitely will be some recordings, just what exactly it will be is not quite clear yet

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 07:28
Sounds great, that's about as prog as it gets.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 07:40
Tales from Topographic Continents? Wink
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Tales from Topographic Continents? Wink

the working title is "The Gaia Cycle", but this may of course still change

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 09:07
How about a guest appearance by Mr. Hammill?

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 10:05
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

How about a guest appearance by Mr. Hammill?

that would be nice but quite unlikely.

some more decisions have been made. first: it will be a quadruple album; yes, very daring!

second: it will actually be one long cyclic track (about 5 hours long). that means CD 1 will end like CD 2 begins, CD 2 will end like CD 3 begins, CD 3 will end like CD 4 begins and CD 4 will end like CD 1 begins. it will not really matter which CD you start with; the sequence of the CDs is important though. so you can actually listen 1-2-3-4, 2-3-4-1, 3-4-1-2 or 4-1-2-3. or, hopefully, 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 ad infinitum.

there will be a recurring main theme and some minor themes. structurally the music will be quite similar to Magma's "Mëkank Destruktiw Kömmandöh" or Mike Oldfild's "Tubular Bells". this does not mean there will be any musical similarities, there will just be some vague structural similarities.

the instrumentation will gradually change; at some part strings will be predominant, at other parts flutes in the soprano register, at other flutes in the baritone and bass register, at other keyboards or percussion instruments. and there will be a lot of piano and (sometimes strange) vocals

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 10:15
^ Sounds like quite an ambitious project. Be interesting to hear it when it's done. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 11:22
it definitely is ambitious, and we don't think it will be finished before 2020. everything will be recorded live in the studio, as our two previous albums. this means we have to play 5 hours without interruptions. of course there will be some breaks for all musicians; five hours of continuous playing does not mean all musicians will be playing all the time.

nevertheless, it will be difficult, and there will have to be a lot of rehearsals

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 10:03
You just put a LOT of pressure on yourselves by posting this! I'm wishing you only ALL of the best of luck!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 10:12
Will it feature willow flute, cant get more spring equinox feel than a willow flute.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 13:55
wow. love the ambition.

certainly will love to hear it when it's finally complete. 

best of luck! 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 07:22
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

nevertheless, it will be difficult, and there will have to be a lot of rehearsals

I'm thinking that you might want to have a small tribute to Holger ... and out of a couple of hours of material, just grab randomly a few parts and glue them together, or play them one on top of the other, and that's that ... and of course, we have to call the piece "Movies", because ... well ... I don't think your album will exactly be a "movie", but the idea for a couple of pieces from a visual perspective would be nice, at least for this old man. Not a fantasy, mind you, but a chance to live and fly, and love, and ... die in a flash of scalding light of a vision and dream.

The best for you folks ... huge undertaking ... huge!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 08:31
Clap Bravo and good luck! I know it will be great!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 23:12
Happy News! Our daughters Alice and Dorothy joined the band, and together with Jean's sister Bea we now have an all female band for the recording.

We are also planning at least one live performance of "The Gaia Cycle". All members of the band will be nude on stage (slurp, slobber)!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 01:52
Dorothy will be providing cello, trombone and keyboards, Alice will play guitar, bass and trumpet. Bea will play her arsenal of woodwinds and violin. Friede will of course play drums and tuned and untuned percussion instruments and some bass, and I will play keyboards and some guitar. all members of the band will also sing, dance and play percussion instruments. there will be lots of unusual singing.

there will be 3 breaks in the performance during which the stage will be redecorated and the members of the band will put on different body paint.

since our daughters and my sister are also members of our religion it will be a truly ritualistic performance. with the breaks the whole show will be almost 6 hours long.

the name of the band will be changed to "Mother Gaia" for this project

Edited by BaldJean - July 08 2018 at 06:25

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 03:45
;)

Edited by Barbu - July 07 2018 at 20:21
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 04:02
my sister Bea will arrive for a 4 week holiday this weekend; we will plan the project in detail then. she made an interesting suggestion: that the lyrics should be in ancient Greek. our daughters have been learning ancient Greek in school for the last 6 years, and Friede and I decided to learn along with them because Gaia is an ancient Greek Goddess.

Bea doesn't know ancient Greek, but she speaks modern Greek (as well as several other languages, she is an interpreter for the EU) and will be learning ancient Greek for this project.

ancient Greek has a more complicated grammar, the pronunciation is somewhat different from modern Greek, and the accents on the words are very different, but in a way that make ancient Greek ideal for singing. and many words, although homonyms, have different meanings in ancient and modern Greek.

of course we will include translations of the lyrics in the booklets for the album cycle. in live performances we will show the translation on screens

Edited by BaldJean - July 07 2018 at 04:22

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 21:06
Jean gives a wrong impression of our knowledge of ancient Greek. We can clumsily translate a text, but we are not really able to have an intelligent conversation. To be able to convincingly sing in ancient Greek we have to get much better. This means training, training, training. We will try to only converse in ancient Greek during the time Bea is here. Tough task!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 01:52
well, the first compositions have been written and the first rehearsals made, and it does sound interesting and wild. there is, however, still a very long way to go, my estimation is that about 0.1% of the work is done

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 06:10
If you hirsuitely challenged ladies ever want some Tangerine Dream style sequences, drop me a PM. 

I might fit in, given that I'm bald, too. ;-)))

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>