Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the Bald Angels plan new recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 05:27
well, Bea stayed a week longer than planned. we had a lot of very interesting sessions, and the stuff we came up so far is really weird. the percussion parts we developed are extremely complicated, with lots of pauses in which we just have to count.

the vocal parts are even weirder, but I have to say that ancient Greek is a wonderful language for singing. there are a lot of glissandos in the vocal parts and also some throat singing.

still a lot of work to do, but "The Gaia Cycle" is beginning to take shape

Edited by BaldJean - August 11 2018 at 05:27

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 09:36
well, well, well, what can I say? the work is finally done! 5 hours of weird music on 4 CDs. our most ambitious work so far will be released Jul 1st. details will follow soon

Edited by BaldJean - March 17 2019 at 09:44

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 13:32
^ Nice! congrats on the completion. will be following for updates. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 15:19
f**king A.. that rocks.. even if I doubt it really does.  Might need to don a saucepan or partake a honkin' big fat joint to get with it ....

count me in for a copy Jean... good to see you around btw.  How are those very bad, yet uttterly priceless daughters doing.  Hopefully you have let them out of purgatory since that stunt they pulled hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 15:45
I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this fascinating project.

I hope you will provide a translation of the text, or at least a summary, for those who can't follow the Greek.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2019 at 09:49
we will provide a translation

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 18:40
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

well, well, well, what can I say? the work is finally done! 5 hours of weird music on 4 CDs. our most ambitious work so far will be released Jul 1st. details will follow soon

Great! So the official title is The Gaia Cycle?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 06:26
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Great! So the official title is The Gaia Cycle?

Yes, and the band name for this project will not be Bald Angels but Mother Gaia. This is somewhat reminiscent of Hawkwind releasing the album "White Noise" under the name "Psychedelic Warriors".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 09:22
Here is some more information. There are four long tracks on the album, or rather one ultra-long track. The four tracks are:

έαρ (Spring) 74:36
θέρος (Summer) 75:11
ὀπώρα (Autumn) 75:06
χειμών (Winter) 75:07

the line-up is:

Ἀληκτώ (Alecto, the Punisher of Moral Crimes; one of the three Erinyes) alias Alice Greifswald-Tolleson:
acoustic and electric guitar, lute, acoustic and electric bass, sitar, oud, trumpet, tuba, lirone, theorbo, recorder, assorted percussion, vocals, overtone singing.

Μέγαιρα (Megaera, the Punisher of Marital Infidelity; one of the three Erinyes) alias Beatrice Tolleson:
flute, bamboo flute, soprano, alto and tenor saxophone, doudouk, ocarina, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, pan pipes, recorder, violin, viola, assorted percussion, vocals, overtone singing.

Τισιφόνη (Tisiphone, the Avenger of Murder; one of the three Erinyes) alias Dorothy Greifswald-Tolleson:
cello, trombone, barytone, tambura, grand piano, Hammond B-3, electric piano, harpsichord, harmonium, recorder, assorted percussion, vocals, overtone singing.

Περσεφόνη (Persephone, Goddess of the Underworld) alias Friederike Greifswald-Tolleson:
drums, vibraphone, marimbaphone, xylophone, glockenspiel, tubular bells, congas, bongos, tablas, assorted percussion, Jew's harp, bass guitar, theremin, recorder, vocals, overtone singing.

Ἑκάτη (Hecate, Goddess of Witchcraft) alias Jeanine Greifswald-Tolleson:
grand piano, Hammond B-3, harpsichord, mellotron, electric piano, harmonium, vibraphone, acoustic and electric guitar, EMS synthi A, theremin, recorder, assorted percussion, vocals, overtone singing.

Lirone, theorbo, barytone, lute, sitar, tamboura, harmonium and harpsichord gently provided by our good friend Mechthild H., who has a huge collection of ancient and foreign instruments.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 22 2019 at 17:25

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 09:32
Is the piece intentionally set to exactly 5 hours?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2019 at 09:52
No, it just came up this way. Sometimes odd things happen. It is however one piece of music that can be played circularly; it ends as it begins. In that regard it is a bit like "Finnegan's Wake" by James Joyce. We tried to get lots of musical colours into the music, hence the many different instruments.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 12 2019 at 15:18

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2019 at 14:26
Do let us know when and how to order the set. A project this bold demands to be part of my collection.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12