Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback on some experimental improv

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback on some experimental improv
    Posted: June 02 2018 at 17:38
Hello,

I was wondering if it would be ok to post an audio sample, or link to some music I'm making. Its bass and guitar with drum machine, recorded very simply, live improvised. 

Just wondering what people's thoughts would be on what my friend and I are doing.

Thanks,
Tony
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 18:16
It's fine, many do.   Hyperlink and you'll get more hits.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TonyA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 19:01
Great, thank you.

We just make this stuff up on the spot while playing, using a mic, audacity and an old drum machine, for experimentation and fun.

https://soundcloud.com/user-475762030/night-ride

Thanks,
Tony

Edited by TonyA - June 02 2018 at 19:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 17:17
First thoughts:  Awful acoustics/mix, that makes a huge difference.   As for the content, I'm not blown away (though it does take some courage to post original music)--  it is more of a jam.   I'm guessing you guys are young and still in a formative stage?   You've got a long way to go but as a lifelong musician I know how tough that can be.   Good luck.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TonyA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 21:22
Thanks for the input.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 04:55
After listening to 2 or 3 tracks, one advice: get rid of the drum machine and hire a real drummer if possible.

Also, it would be better to "cut out the fat": the tracks would be more interesting (not original, though) if you made it last 3 minutes instead of 6 or 7. Avoid fiddling just for the sake of fiddling.

About the sound quality, could you give more precisions about your recording devices? One mic for the two of you isn't enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply