Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HRH Prog (North Wales)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smidscot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HRH Prog (North Wales)
    Posted: October 02 2018 at 02:00
I don't think its an ex Butlins camp, there might be an ex Butlins camp around there, but its mostly caravans with some chalets. The camp is currently ran by Haven, but I believe this might be one of the last times they will be using it (could be change of relationship, could be rework).

We went to the March one in 2017 (Pendragon, IQ, Gong, Enid, Karnataka, Hawkwind) and enjoyed it, I didn't do the November one (not a lot of bands I knew), and it seems to recur each November now. I'm going next month.

We've been going to the HRH events for a couple of years now. There's the HRH one, the HRH AOR one there too. AOR is springtime and main HRH November. I believe the prog one used to tie into one of the those scifi conventions with all the cosplay, but runs by itself now. HRH tends to be your normal rock with occasional prog (supposed to be generic but few prog bands in there), and AOR is much more old and new hair metal bands.

Anyway, if you buy accommodation via HRH you either get a caravan or a chalet (that might be related to how often you've booked), and the main camp is open in general to others, but quite empty given its March or November. The main venues are across from each other and wristbanded, pints are overpriced at £4.50ish, there's a Burger King, Fish and chip shop and a pizza place inside the venues and a pub down the road inside the camp. You can also cook in your chalet.

Bands are on Thursday night from about 7pm and either free via accommodation, or a ticket. The main ticket covers Friday and Saturday, and can be bought per day. They start about 1pm, and have special acoustic sessions elsewhere accessible with VIP tickets.

Prog hasn't really sold out the same as the other HRHs, and if you go on their website you can often get the ticket competition. We use that regularly, and you win in effect tickets with just the booking fee to pay. Now what we do is we book the accommodation via them, which removes the booking fee, and rent for 6 (fill with friends for prog and other people we find for others), at effectively £95 per person. Some people can do this cheaper, but I feel guilty enough only paying £95 for 3 nights of accommodation plus bands, and want the festival to continue. You get the Thursday night if you book the accommodation.

VIP is about £30 more for the weekend, and gets you sitting down access areas in each venue, your own bar (kind of pointless, main bar always well served, and special bar is limited), vip ticket queue and access to acoustic and late night special events.

I've enjoyed the one I went to, the second lineup was really nothing I'd heard of. But once I'd went I'd seen a lot of new bands and got a lot of new stuff to buy. A prog CD stall in one of the arenas which was selling them for about a tenner is something I'd be looking forward to next time I go. I'll be balancing out with 30 odd cds next time...
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 09:02
Great venue, well organised events :-)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 16:20
I would love to go to it - looks a good line-up. Unfortunately, like a lot of these holiday centre weekend events, or even some major UK festivals, I can't make it as a teacher, as they are always in term-time! Have a great time if you're going! The venue is the old Butlins camp my parents took me to on numerous occasions in the late 60s and early 70s! Not much prog there in those days, unless you include the old organist in the Gaiety Theatre before the afternoon bingo sessions!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 14:44
HRHProg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HRHProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 09:50
Does anyone here go to HRH Prog in Wales? They're running a competition to win weekend passes for this years event (ends next week as far as I know). Hawkwind, Pendragon, The Strawbs and loads more playing this year. Check out the comp. https://www.hrhprog.com/win Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply