Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jzrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for prog
    Posted: June 04 2018 at 19:32
Outside of the collaborators I wonder how listening to prog fits in with your life schedule? Work and or families and other obligations can stop the best of us from relaxing and enjoying an album.
For me I am in the car a lot so it allows for some longer listening.
So anyone here who is on top of the prog scene must set aside time for it as unlike other forms of music it lends itself best for full album listening sessions.
It is much easier to digest more traditional rock music with generally shorter songs.If you listen to music while exercising so you listen to prog? I myself tend to not listen to prog to work out to For what ever reason I need more punchy music for it.
I bring this upnbecause this site is a sea of info on bands to check out but time is not always available to me.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 19:41
First I agree with you about CAR...maybe my main place to listen prog music. But I listen too with earphones, or when Im doing some other activities. I dont listen music as I swimm, but...you know, prog universe is so wide...I like much Jean Michel Jarre for example (not so prog maybe but related), and use to listen him when I do another kind of excercise, or something, not only him, many more out there. Music is integral part of my life for one side, for another, mainstream music is on this times (in general terms) something so empty... 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 22:16
The car for me too, though at home, I always use my I-Pod (yes, I still have one of those, since all my music does not fit in my phone), with my Bose noise cancelling headphones for a better experience. When I'm alone at home, I play the music on the main stereo, but when my wife is at home, the headphones will do, to avoid her comments and her interrupting my listening experience. Curiously enough, my daughter likes a lot of my music, so we rock to some good prog together once in a while. I also have a "gym music" list full of prog songs for when I go to exercise.

Edited by Manuel - June 04 2018 at 22:18
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 09:47
I work at home and have my own space, so when I'm not working, I'm listening to music and/or researching music. Daily life is a distraction, though, it can sometimes be hard to listen to a whole album without being interrupted or distracted.
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 20:04
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Curiously enough, my daughter likes a lot of my music, so we rock to some good prog together once in a while.

Nice! My son is proggy too, and we share listening and playing music together.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 04:35
I'm semi retired (I still tend to small business ventures) so there is a lot more time for me to listen to music but I can't say that I've come across anything musically that expands my listening. I still like much of the older stuff I've listen to years ago but have expanded a little bit on those artists but that's all.

Edited by SteveG - June 06 2018 at 04:36
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 05:04
I've recently gotten into listening music while sleeping.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 05:10
Mostly at home, sometimes with homework (I can concentrate listen music and wash dishes same time although I am a man), sometimes I just lay down to listen.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 05:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I can concentrate listen music and wash dishes same time although I am a man

I can do mathematics in my head and play music in my head simultaneously. I attribute this ability to the maths and music being in different hemispheres of the brain.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 06:23
It's a problem. I'd like to have much more time just for listening than I have. Too often I hear music while also doing other things like reading for work, homework etc. Also I'm not running around in the streets with earphones; I want to have open ears for what's around.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 06:38
Not enough time, here. Neighborhood too close ... etc. But I'm a writer and by chance I have no problem to write and to listen to music at the same time.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 07:10
I work from home. If I don't have any web meetings or phone calls, I usually have music on. Not always listening intently, but I can enjoy music while working. I can't work with silence. Way back when I was a student, I couldn't go to the library to study and preferred coffee shops for the background chatter.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 07:44
I am listening to prog music only when I am stoned.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 07:52
I mostly listen at work. We have an extensive music library where work so I set up play lists consisting of prog, classic rock & some other music ( 80's, 90's..) Either that or we listen to Spotify at the office.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 09:55
I work alone in my guitar repair studio, so I can hear prog rock in that place. Home is another good place for this ! I avoid listening  music when  I'm driving !
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 11:28
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I can concentrate listen music and wash dishes same time although I am a man

I can do mathematics in my head and play music in my head simultaneously. I attribute this ability to the maths and music being in different hemispheres of the brain.

Not me at all!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 13:32
My kids can now feed themselves and tie their own shoes, I don't have to take them to the toilet and make sure they don't miss or wipe properly.

So....I have all my spare time to myself and go downstairs and can 100% listen with all my senses and immerse myself into the music. I am 98% vinyl so it kinda makes you sit and listen, you can't really do any chores with records.
So when I have an album that needs patience, I can devote the needed time.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 14:30
I used to spend a lot of time listeining prog on my stereo in the 70s (I was a studient and a junior engineer). Then I lost sight of prog, because nothing new happened in prog and my job kept me so busy...
But five years ago, getting closer to retirement, I wanted to update my knowledge of prog. Big surprise; there were so many groups in so many countries with excellent prog (IQ, Pendragon, Unitopia, RPWL,...). Now I have built a 2000 album collection, CDs and vinyls, and I enjoy prog everyday. Back to my 20s!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 15:45
IPod Classic and CDs in the car on the half-hour commute to work (and then back) usually accounts for a full album during the week - with the ability to play it at a decent volume without the wife complaining! Lesson planning and marking periods, lunch etc. normally allow me to listen to some more or trawl the latest releases on YouTube or Morow.com to see if there is anything worth buying.

Back home, if I'm working evenings or weekends on the PC, trawling through my iTunes library for old favourites or new finds always makes the work go easier (currently doing on-line GCSE marking and tonight it worked really well with classic Renaissance and King Crimson!). However, sitting in the lounge - feet up with a decent glass of wine or IPA on a Friday night - listening to some classic prog on the headphones is the best way by far!

Throw in the odd concert now and then, and I've no complaints.

So much good music.....so little time, though!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 16:05
The motor-car for me as well, although I cannot stand listening to grand prog epics whilst driving in Chicago's perky-jerky traffic!  

I was just on the open road, and enjoyed, well, "Genesis Live" (1973), TFTO, The Yes Album, Classic Yes, and a few other titles that I cherish.  

At home, I listen to almost no prog, as my wife disapproves.  Pity, she's even met Rick Wakeman.  She calls it "guy music."  (sigh)  

Edited by cstack3 - June 06 2018 at 16:05
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>