Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the sax shunned by prog bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 21:48
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Can your sax player play flute? It's a very common doubling as the instruments have similar fingerings. That'll open you up to some Jethro Tull and Moody Blues at least. I think Ian Anderson had been playing flute for about 6 months when he did the first JT album, so I'm sure your sax player can manage something even if they're just picking it up. Just have them do some blues scale licks while screaming into it and they'll get the Jethro Tull sound.

There actually is a Genesis song with sax on it - No Reply At All features a horn section.

I wouldn't say sax is shunned in prog any more than any other wind or non-traditional rock instrument (maybe flute's more popular - although most of the prog flutists I can think of played sax too). I don't think Frank Zappa or Maxophone have been mentioned yet, but they've got plenty of sax going on.

Yes, I'm surprised Zappa & the MOI weren't mentioned right off the bat. Still un-mentioned is the band no one else seems to mention but me; Jade Warrior. I'm thinking particularly of the album, Released.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:13
Wayne Shorter.
Jazz fusion all day, baby.
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 01:48
Soft Machine and Caravan. I find a lot of Jazz Fusion to be quite progressive. Frank Zappa has great woodwind session musicians on some albums, especially Hot Rats and Grand Wazoo. There is definitely nothing wrong with a Sax in Prog.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 02:25
Originally posted by Cord Change Cord Change wrote:

Soft Machine and Caravan. I find a lot of Jazz Fusion to be quite progressive. Frank Zappa has great woodwind session musicians on some albums, especially Hot Rats and Grand Wazoo. There is definitely nothing wrong with a Sax in Prog.

I agree, and I always say this, and feel like people gloss over jazz fusion entirely. Zappa's fusion era is my favorite era of his. I'm on a Weather Report kick so I'm probably biased atm.
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 01:46
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I agree, and I always say this, and feel like people gloss over jazz fusion entirely. Zappa's fusion era is my favorite era of his. I'm on a Weather Report kick so I'm probably biased atm.

I knew when you said Wayne Shorter that you were probably into Fusion, very glad to hear! Saprano sax rocks! And Zappa’s composition style definitely suited Jazz Fusion... Hot Rats is a ridiculously great Fusion record!

Minus the h.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 03:31

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I knew when you said Wayne Shorter that you were probably into Fusion, very glad to hear! Saprano sax rocks! And Zappa’s composition style definitely suited Jazz Fusion... Hot Rats is a ridiculously great Fusion record! 

Yes and exactly. Fusion is my #1! Clap

Agreed on all fronts about Zappa. Good to know another's got some ears!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic