Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

progressive rock in crisis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 08:14
Hi,

(invisible post!)

Edited by moshkito - June 25 2018 at 07:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 08:49
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's OK for you to disagree with my comments, but not OK to make a personal statement, unless you want to do it privately.

You don't dictate the terms of this forum. It might be best you quote what you deem the 'personal statement' rather than leave it for everyone to guess. I'm not going to waste my time discussing anything with you by private messenger. (You flatter yourself)
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 09:49

PA is just like the "media" out there giving a voice to folks, many of which do not really understand/know the very music they like, and many of which are still young and simply like the song, but (possibly) may not understand the album.

It is egomaniacal statements like this that merely bolster the impression that you are a self-absorbed prat. It's one thing for you to go off on your rambling and bloated artsy-fartsy flights of fancy, and quite another when you project your inanity on a large swath of posters here. Please keep your opinions to the music itself and not to the intentions, experience or musical expertise of the people who come here for the love of this genre.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 12:42
Back to the topic: what artists must we delete from the database to get Progressive Rock out of crisis?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 13:14
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Back to the topic: what artists must we delete from the database to get Progressive Rock out of crisis?

Yes and Genesis. Because they made "hits".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 00:57
The mosh man prophecies are all like a curates egg...He does like to over-egg his pudding so to speak....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 03:22
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The mosh man prophecies are all like a curates egg...He does like to over-egg his pudding so to speak....

At least he doesn't mix his metaphors Wink
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 04:49
Deliberately so...I'm like a hungry hound chasing the early worm....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 05:56
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Deliberately so...I'm like a hungry hound chasing the early worm....

Right, more like a late bird having to choose the vegetarian option
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 06:31

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Poor, poor moshkito who must feel awfully alone in the world thinking everyone sans himself has no depth or width... but only a superficial relation to this music whom we pretend to love and care for - while surfing the surface for "hits".

Just like your comment, I suppose. I seriously doubt that you think there is a crisis, or not, since your posting has absolutely nothing to say on the matter, and is more of a personal attack, than it is a posting that adds to the totality of the thread.
I think my caring and empathetic comment was well deserved. If you had even the slightest idea how the judgemental overconfidence and self-congratulatory smugness in your tone gets in the way of occasional glimpses of valid points and knowledge - you would have stopped long ago.   

And correct - I do not think progressive rock in in a crisis.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 10:26
One for Mosh.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 11:09
Progressive rock is in no crisis.

However THIS is definately a progressive SOCK crisis LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:27
Progressive rock is not in crisis - it is in stasis (and not Stasi, which is something not related to music, even if they had a lot of recording devices).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:42
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog has been "in crisis" since the late seventies...

That said, it's been a slow year.

Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I don't think that has changed much in  40 years.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I don't think that has changed much in  40 years.

only took us 5 pages to get there this timeLOL
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 02:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise, Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a 1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as Progressive Rock. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 23:51

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise, Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a 1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as Progressive Rock. 

I'm not really understanding this. Prog bands are generally swimming against the tide of an industry (horrible word to use in reference to music which is basically art) that wants to any album to be like a Big Mac (ie mass produced and zero nutrition). The ability for bands to continue with so little funding is the problem for me not whether anyone would recognise whether they are 'prog' or not.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 02:08

Have to agree with this. The prevalent idea suggested in many PA quarters that Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tortoise, Mars Volta, Radiohead etc are continuing a tradition set by the 1st Gen early 70's proggers is at best, poorly researched nonsense. There's an old adage that the homosexual's' worst fear is acceptance. Maybe Progressive Rock's worst fear is popularity?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 02:08
As I said before, there really are great bands that would make great music, but just donīt make it because there seems to be very little interest at the moment to it. To me personally itīs no problem, I still have really much great old music I havenīt got enough time to listen, but anyway it feels little sad, if there will come a day no-one makes any great music anymore.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 03:57
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the
big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I
don't think that has changed much in  40 years.

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all
genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine,
Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise,
Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we
somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a
1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as
Progressive Rock. 

Have to agree
with this. The prevalent idea suggested in many PA quarters that Kayo
Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tortoise, Mars Volta, Radiohead etc are continuing
a tradition set by the 1st Gen early 70's proggers is at best, poorly
researched nonsense. There's an old adage that the homosexual's' worst
fear is acceptance. Maybe Progressive Rock's worst fear is popularity?
This seems rather like a straw man to me. From where I stand the reason why these and similar artists can be said to continue a 'progressive' lineage that began in the late sixties is that they are seeking to expand the musical horizons of rock now, just as the artists of the classic period of prog were doing in their own time. That doesn't imply musical similarity but rather the contrary - the continuity is meta-musical, residing in the desire to push at the boundaries.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>