Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - progressive rock in crisis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

progressive rock in crisis

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 19 2007
Location: A Land Mass
Status: Offline
Points: 9218
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 06:18
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog has been "in crisis" since the late seventies...

That said, it's been a slow year.


Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I don't think that has changed much in  40 years.



only took us 5 pages to get there this timeLOL
But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise, Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a 1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as Progressive Rock. 


Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog has been "in crisis" since the late seventies...

That said, it's been a slow year.


Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the
big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I
don't think that has changed much in  40 years.



only took us 5 pages to get there this timeLOL

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all
genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine,
Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise,
Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we
somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a
1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as
Progressive Rock. 


Have to agree
with this. The prevalent idea suggested in many PA quarters that Kayo
Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tortoise, Mars Volta, Radiohead etc are continuing
a tradition set by the 1st Gen early 70's proggers is at best, poorly
researched nonsense. There's an old adage that the homosexual's' worst
fear is acceptance. Maybe Progressive Rock's worst fear is popularity?
This seems rather like a straw man to me. From where I stand the reason why these and similar artists can be said to continue a 'progressive' lineage that began in the late sixties is that they are seeking to expand the musical horizons of rock now, just as the artists of the classic period of prog were doing in their own time. That doesn't imply musical similarity but rather the contrary - the continuity is meta-musical, residing in the desire to push at the boundaries.


The argument I'm refuting is that of Dr Wu23 who states that Progressive Rock has always been unpopular. Not sure where the straw-man appears from? Your argument is just a retelling of the Prog v progressive debate


Edited by ExittheLemming - June 29 2018 at 06:21
Back to Top
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 3595
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 06:28
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog has been "in crisis" since the late seventies...

That said, it's been a slow year.


Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I don't think that has changed much in  40 years.



only took us 5 pages to get there this timeLOL
But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine, Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise, Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a 1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as Progressive Rock. 


Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog has been "in crisis" since the late seventies...

That said, it's been a slow year.


Yep.....it had some popularity in the 70's with the
big names we all know but it has always been 'in crisis' so to speak. I
don't think that has changed much in  40 years.



only took us 5 pages to get there this timeLOL

But it isn't really true though. Retro-bands/artists exist in all
genres. But listen to various 70's prog - you know ELP, Soft Machine,
Tangerine Dream... and then Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Vektor, Tortoise,
Radiohead... (whether you like them or not is beside the point) - if we
somehow could send their albums 45 years back in time, I'm certain a
1973-prog connoisseur would fail to associate those sounds as
Progressive Rock. 


Have to agree
with this. The prevalent idea suggested in many PA quarters that Kayo
Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tortoise, Mars Volta, Radiohead etc are continuing
a tradition set by the 1st Gen early 70's proggers is at best, poorly
researched nonsense. There's an old adage that the homosexual's' worst
fear is acceptance. Maybe Progressive Rock's worst fear is popularity?
This seems rather like a straw man to me. From where I stand the reason why these and similar artists can be said to continue a 'progressive' lineage that began in the late sixties is that they are seeking to expand the musical horizons of rock now, just as the artists of the classic period of prog were doing in their own time. That doesn't imply musical similarity but rather the contrary - the continuity is meta-musical, residing in the desire to push at the boundaries.


The argument I'm refuting is that of Dr Wu23 who states that Progressive Rock has always been unpopular. Not sure where the straw-man appears from? Your argument is just a retelling of the Prog v progressive debate

I'm aware there's nothing new in the argument I was making, but it does seem rather pertinent to the actual words in your and Saperlipopette!'s preceding posts.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 29 2018 at 06:29
Back to Top
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 09 2006
Location: Swinton M27
Status: Offline
Points: 2071
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 09:36
The sea within has arrived. Crisis averted....
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......
Back to Top
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: February 18 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 12996
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 02:04
^ Got mine delivered together in the same package with yet another Carl Palmer DVD and the usual re-treading of old ground. Some irony maybe..
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.