Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LTE and Similar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LTE and Similar
    Posted: June 12 2018 at 22:38
Hey, all. So, I've been listening to prog ever since high school. I've heard Rush, Dream Theater, Ayreon, Iron Maiden's proggish stuff, and others. 

One of my absolute favorites is Liquid Tension Experiment. But they only made two albums, so it's kind of a bummer. So, I'm looking for more stuff like that. As close to them as possible. The guitar and keyboards are so bright and vibrant in tone, the music is beautiful and joyous - I don't know where to find more stuff like it. I've thought that, if you could cross Joe Satch's sound with Buckethead's movement, then it'd be the closest thing to LTE. Anyone know of, basically, LTE's twin? Is there a twin? 

-Many much thanks,
Tikhon
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 00:16
Not a twin by Umphreys McGee might be worth checking out. Also Haken generally give you an instrumental bonus version CD with their albums that are fab. You should check them out as well anyway.
Tikhon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 10:21
Thanks for the recommendations! Umphrey's McGee sounds pretty cool, tho I should have mentioned that I'm looking for instrumental stuff. Vocals are alright with me, but instrumental is better. I didn't know Haken gave out instrumental mixes. Hmm, how does that happen? My CD of the Mountain didn't come with one.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 11:50
Speaking of Haken, there's Nova Collective with Richard Henshall from Haken. 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 12:03
Also in the area of Satriani with a much heavier shred/virtuoso factor, there's Vinnie Moore. His albums from the eighties, Mind's Eye and Time Odyssey. Time Odyssey has Jordan Rudess on keyboards.   
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 18:04
^Hear, hear! Time Odyssey is a classic, IMO. It's prog-metal before Dream Theater! Here's the best track, "Message in a Dream."

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 01:36
Listen to Special Providence from Hungary. Wink

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 07:53
LTE have a somewhat unique sound...but I would investigate:
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return To Forever
Nucleus
Blue Effect(Modry Efekt)
Niacin ..try Organik
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 14:55
Try:

Mastermind - excelsior!

Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human

Edited by terramystic - June 14 2018 at 15:01
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 00:18
Originally posted by Tikhon Tikhon wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations! Umphrey's McGee sounds pretty cool, tho I should have mentioned that I'm looking for instrumental stuff. Vocals are alright with me, but instrumental is better. I didn't know Haken gave out instrumental mixes. Hmm, how does that happen? My CD of the Mountain didn't come with one.

Yes correct on The Mountain although the 3 other albums all have instrumental mixes.

Post Reply Post Reply