Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1977 — a farewell to Prog’s golden era?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 16:55
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Was 1977 the end of the golden era of Prog music?

I looked at the PA Top 100 albums and found a pattern.

• Every year before 1978 (starting at 1969) had at least 3 albums in the top 100
  • Every year since 1978 had less than 3 albums (0, 1, or 2) in the top 100
  • 1977 was the last year to have more than two top 100 albums released

The number of albums by year:

1969 - 3
1970 - 5
1971 - 9
1972 - 11
1973 - 12
1974 - 11
1975 - 10
1976 - 5
1977 - 4
1978 - 2
1979 - 1
And it never got higher than 2 after that.

You also have to realize to,  that these were quite well established names and albums...  Most of us prog nuts own most of the classic albums released from the late 60s onwards....

Modern bands would not have that volume compared to the classics..

My brother used to be a prog nut during the 70s.  Now he could not care less anymore..  His musical tastes have changed now.   Though he still plays these albums but not as he used to...  I'm sure other people from that generation feel the same way..  Wink

Edited by noni - June 13 2018 at 16:56
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 17:47
The argument is a sound one, but then I start remembering how many amazing post-'77 prog, fusion and (especially) electronic albums we've got out there, especially from the likes of Goblin, Tangerine Dream, Kenso, Eloy and myriad others.

I'd sooner vote for the entirety of the '70s. Let's not forget Genesis released ATTWT in '78, Tull released Stormwatch in '79, Yes released Drama in '80, and so on...
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 17:51
I think the original poster got 1977 about right. I was all set to stand up for 1978 at least, but looking at the Big Six, I was listening/buying Going for the One, Wind and Wuthering (released a few weeks before) and then Seconds Out, Songs From the Wood, Animals and Works Vol. 1 & 2 in 1977.

I know not everyone necessarily sees those as being prime prog, but when you consider, Tormato, ATTWT, Heavy Horses, The Wall and Love Beach - followed those - as a whole I find there is a noticeable step down (for me at least - although Tull were hanging in there better than most).

That is not to say that 1978 was not without its highs. Hemispheres for me was at least as good as A Farewell to Kings, and probably better. Pyramids at least maintained the level set by I Robot the previous year for APP. You had UK, the wonderful A Live Record by Camel, Please Don't Touch by Hackett, with Spectral Mornings still to come. A Song for All Seasons by Renaissance just about kept the flag flying....and I'm sure others have further examples...

However, if 1977 was akin to the end of a great party, you always find enough lukewarm beers or last few sandwiches on the tray to keep your there for a little longer while most of the attendees are drifting away. I can see 1978 in those terms, although I'm struggling to justify 1979.

Funnily enough, I think rock music in general was struggling, as New Wave dominated the airwaves and the classic bands struggled to react to the changing environment (or tried too hard). Over here in the UK the NWOBHM stemmed the tide for a couple of years - and the likes of Van Halen shook things up initially from over the pond - but the die was cast.

So, sadly, I have to agree with 1977 myself.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 19:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I believe 1977 was the year that Going For The One was released. So, yes.

- And - 

Songs from the Wood
Animals
Works Vol. 1
Seconds Out
Low
Car (Peter Gabriel's debut)
I Robot

Not to mention Cat Scratch Fever.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 19:51
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The argument is a sound one, but then I start remembering how many amazing post-'77 prog, fusion and (especially) electronic albums we've got out there, especially from the likes of Goblin, Tangerine Dream, Kenso, Eloy and myriad others.

I'd sooner vote for the entirety of the '70s. Let's not forget Genesis released ATTWT in '78, Tull released Stormwatch in '79, Yes released Drama in '80, and so on...

I mentioned Drama but not the others. I suppose "burning rope" was rather proggish and so was "dark ages" but not much else from those albums imo. Some people have actually suggested that ATTWT was sort of the first neo prog album. I suppose an argument could be made for that but I think Saga were probably a bit closer to proto neo if there is such a thing.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 13 2018 at 19:51
Run Home Slow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Home Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 21:19

"The Past sure is tense" - Don Van Vliet

Edited by Run Home Slow - June 13 2018 at 21:21
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 03:38

I believe 1977 was the year that Going Gone For The One Count was released. So, yes.

Tongue

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

think 77 was the beginning of the end---Dead

Mmmhhh!!!... I used to say that the great music era went for 67 until 77 with a core from 69 to 73.

Nowadays, I maintain the core years (69-73), but I can extend the spectrum from 59 to 79.

Sooo, I think that 78 & 79 hold some better albums than 77.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 04:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I believe 1977 was the year that Going For The One was released. So, yes.

- And - 

Songs from the Wood
Animals
Works Vol. 1
Seconds Out
Low
Car (Peter Gabriel's debut)
I Robot

Not to mention Cat Scratch Fever.
You forgot to mention the Saturday Night Fever OST (Bee Gees) which I'm sure was the coup de grace.

Edited by SteveG - June 14 2018 at 04:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 04:36
^all things considered I find more music to love from 1980-81 than 1977-79. I mean "regular prog" and jazz fusion was in sh*t shape all those years but RIO/Avant was peaking + Zeuhl & progressive electronic was still pretty great. I hate punk but dig new wave, post-punk and synth pop and there's seemingly no end to the early 80's gems you can discover from all over the world (much like prog in the 70's).

Edited by Saperlipopette! - June 14 2018 at 05:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 04:48
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Well, some might argue that the first UK album at least is genre defining and an argument could also be made for Moving Pictures(even though I forgot to mention it). 
I don't hear anything remotely new or genre defining in them. I have nothing against these albums but what have they got to offer that isn't already well established? A radio friendlier sound and shorter song length? That doesn't really qualify imo. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 05:23
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Really great prog albums from 1977, only a Farewell to Kings and Animals come into my mind. Wigwam´s Dark Album is of course also really good.
I forgot Songs From the Wood. Going For the One is really good of course, but not the greatest Yes albums like the The Yes Album & Fragile. It already had the feeling their greatest years were over. 
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 10:54
OK, what's the new turning point of this thread? Making a list of every progressive rock record released after 1977?
Wow, guys, you know how to maintain a discussion alive...
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 11:30
Yes.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 00:24
I think its easy to cut across the argument by just compiling a list of the best prog bands of all time

Pink Floyd
Genesis
Yes
ELP
Jethro Tull
Camel
Gentle Giant
Rush
King Crimson
PFM

..ok you may want to put Marillion , Dream Theater (yes really) or Spock's Beard in there for balance sake but imo none of those bands are as important to the genre as good as they may be. The genre itself and this web site would not even exist but for those bands. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 05:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think its easy to cut across the argument by just compiling a list of the best prog bands of all time

Pink Floyd
Genesis
Yes
ELP
Jethro Tull
Camel
Gentle Giant
Rush
King Crimson
PFM
I think less than 1% would agree 100% with you. But in terms of popularity rather than best I follow your logic ca. 70%. 
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:42
VdGG - The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 19:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I mentioned Drama but not the others. I suppose "burning rope" was rather proggish and so was "dark ages" but not much else from those albums imo. Some people have actually suggested that ATTWT was sort of the first neo prog album. I suppose an argument could be made for that but I think Saga were probably a bit closer to proto neo if there is such a thing.

Starcastle before Saga, definitely. Saga's always been a pomp-rock band with progressive leanings. They're kind of schizo in that regard, in a good way. They were influenced as much by Styx and Manfred Mann's Earth Band as they were by Gentle Giant and Genesis. Those first five albums are classics.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 11:40
Yes, it was.
lostrom
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 17:01
GFTO is from '77. Others perhaps less brilliant but no less enjoyable include Pompeii by Triumvirat and Criminal Record by Rick Wakeman.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 17:07
1978 was really a fall off from '77. Each released album by those of the Big Six that did so suffered by comparison.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>