Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snarky Puppy for JR/fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snarky Puppy for JR/fusion
    Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:33
Is anyone else surprised that Snarky Puppy aren't on here by now? Maybe they are too close to pop or funk I'm not sure but what I heard by this almost legendary recent band sounded pretty firmly in the fusion vein to me. 

They are probably all over on youtube just put in snarky puppy. Here is the website though. http://www.snarkypuppy.com/ It looks like there are plenty of sound samples on the website. 

Ok, here are a couple of youtube clips anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuhHU_BZXSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk0WRHV_vt8

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 13 2018 at 15:18
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:43
Yea, your'e right , they absolutely should be on the site as a fusion band. I had heard the name but didn't have the chance to check them out until recently.  I saw a video of a clinic they did somewhere  & I was blown away. ( it was probably posted by someone on this site ) Great band!

Edited by Argo2112 - June 13 2018 at 14:51
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:46
Great jazz band.

Been discussed before and rejected.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107347&KW=snarky+puppy&PID=5351161#5351161

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100075&KW=snarky+puppy&PID=5066247#5066247

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85843&KW=snarky+puppy&PID=4470843#4470843
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:46
If the JR/F team votes them in, they'll be included.   If not, then not.   Being surprised they'e not here by now is irrelevant, whether you're "spoon-feeding" them or not.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:49
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

If the JR/F team votes them in, they'll be included.   If not, then not.   Being surprised they'e not here by now is irrelevant, whether you're "spoon-feeding" them or not.

It's not irrelevant to me. Tongue I was bored so I decided to post some youtube links at the last minute.  

Imagine Yes or Genesis not being on here and feeling like you still have to post youtube links. That was my point. I think any fusion fan on here would know them by now and it seems rather silly to me to post links but I did anyway. Anyway, no need to be snarky. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 13 2018 at 14:51
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:52
Nice band but not fusion. Lacks the rock part of the equation.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

Great jazz band.

Been discussed before and rejected.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107347&KW=snarky+puppy&PID=5351161#5351161

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100075&KW=snarky+puppy&PID=5066247#5066247

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85843&KW=snarky+puppy&PID=4470843#4470843

Rejected three times? Ok, if that's the case feel free to delete this thread then. I will read those I guess. I searched but didn't see them before. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 14:55
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Nice band but not fusion. Lacks the rock part of the equation.

And Weather Report doesn't? But regardless did you even listen to "what about me(we like it here)?" Way more rock than anything I've heard by WR and probably some other fusion bands. I think what they lack(if anything)is a distinct prog element and imo that's why they are being snubbed on here. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 13 2018 at 14:58
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 15:08
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's not irrelevant to me. Tongue I was bored so I decided to post some youtube links at the last minute.  

Imagine Yes or Genesis not being on here and feeling like you still have to post youtube links. That was my point. I think any fusion fan on here would know them by now and it seems rather silly to me to post links but I did anyway. Anyway, no need to be snarky. Wink

Oh I think a little snark was quite appropriate based on the snark level of your first post.   "Spoon-feeding" is snarky--  you give snark you're gonna get it back, right?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 15:11

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Oh I think a little snark was quite appropriate based on the snark level of your first post.   "Spoon-feeding" is snarky--  you give snark you're gonna get it back, right?

I assure you it was not my intention to be snarky. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 14 2018 at 15:37
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 15:17
They've been suggested and rejected before. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 15:19
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

They've been suggested and rejected before. 

I know that was already mentioned. I guess then we can just ignore this thread(or delete it if so inclined) and move on. 
Shrek the Progre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek the Progre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 09:14
What do you guys mean by not prog enough? they are very progressive imo

Then again, Snarky Puppy is a more successful band of a batch that takes contemporary popular genres influences to make more pretentious and complex music, including Jacob Collier, FORQ, BADBADNOTGOOD, Ghost-Note, and the list goes on. They are progressive, both in aesthetic and intention. But their music revolves around Jazz, so might not be rock enough indeed.

Edited by Shrek the Progre - June 15 2018 at 09:16
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 10:25
Yeah, but Snarky Puppy and BADBADNOTGOOD aren't even all that jazzy either. They have both jazz and rock but take the most from funk, which Irmin Schmidt, an obvious authority on American music (Wink), considers part of rock. 
 Post Reply Post Reply