Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the bassoon shunned by prog? : D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the bassoon shunned by prog? : D
    Posted: June 14 2018 at 07:30
Hey just wanted to make sort of a sister thread with this instrument I have a special interest in. But I dont know any bassoon using prog bands except from Henry Cow and Thinking Plague? probably other chamber prog bands i guess xD...

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - July 02 2018 at 11:54
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 07:48
Oh my god, go and get Univers Zero immediately, top bassoon bands:-

Henry Cow
Univers Zero
Von Zamla
Ut Gret
Knifeworld
Gryphon
Arteria
Nazca
Rational Diet
Jack O The Clock
Moulettes

Frankly I find your lack of bassoon disturbing.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - June 14 2018 at 07:48
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 07:58
Bassoons? No. Baboons. Yes.
Still waiting for this guy to release an album.

The Maroon Baboon by Dom Conlon illustrated by Jools Wilson

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 08:33
Pretty sure The Song of Scheherazade by Renaissance has a bassoon solo in it. 
At least on the Live at Carnegie Hall version. ( Not sure about the studio version. )
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 08:39
Not disturbing at all: North Sea Radio Orchestra. I a Moon and Dronne are both worth checking out.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 08:43
Has the sousaphone been shunned by prog?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 09:17
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Not as much as the shawm, that's for sure. I find five entries in PA's discography for the sousaphone and none for the shawm.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 12:18
Me, I wanna hear more contrabass sarrusophone.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 16:57
I think Gryphon used the bassoon quite a lot.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 19:04
Shunning any instrument is the antithesis of prog! Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 02:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think Gryphon used the bassoon quite a lot.

It was Brian Gulland's main instrument. Brilliant band.

I'm pretty sure a bassoon was used on Friendship, from the Snow Goose album by Camel. The Old Grey Whistle Test live session shows a musician playing one.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 03:34
Sarrusophone. Always wanted to try one. And a Jazzophone. And a double belled euphonium.

Incidentally, the only instrument I've not been able to get a note out of is a didgeridoo. Bulgarian bagpipes ? No problem. Didgeridoo ? No chance. I think I got a faulty one. ;-) I was cyclic breathing as well. Felt slightly cheated. ;-)

You can now get spiralled up travel didgeridoos. Why you'd want to travel with one is anyone's guess. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - June 15 2018 at 03:37

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 03:44
Spiral didgeridoo thus. Loads of different models out there, about $130 for a bit of steam bent wood. Mic it up, reverb and delay pedals, be the first on your block etc etc. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 03:47
PS Back on topic. 

Cheap bassoon, $1000.
Expensive bassoon, $10,000 (Puchner et al)

You generally have to make your own reeds. 

This might explain a few things about why you don't hear much prog bassoon. Also, there are hundreds of variant fingerings for a bassoon. 

Also, it's a very dull orchestral instrument and people rarely cross over from orchestral to other music forms.

If we're doing a formula "Is the (insert instrument name) shunned from prog" post then can I suggest an alp horn next ? 

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 04:02
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Sarrusophone. Always wanted to try one. And a Jazzophone. And a double belled euphonium.
If Frank Zappa is to be believed the sarrusophone is a bit of a b*****d to play.

Incidentally, the only instrument I've not been able to get a note out of is a didgeridoo. Bulgarian bagpipes ? No problem. Didgeridoo ? No chance. I think I got a faulty one. ;-) I was cyclic breathing as well. Felt slightly cheated. ;-)

You can now get spiralled up travel didgeridoos. Why you'd want to travel with one is anyone's guess. 
Well when I hear someone playing didgeridoo I'm usually seized by a strong desire to shove it up his arse. With a spiral version this would be more difficult, so it could be a measure of self-protection.

I'm not sure why I hate the didgeridoo so much but it may have something to do with the fact that in the early nineties I lived in a flat above a smelly hippy who practised on his at all hours. And he was f**king hopeless, even by the standards of stoned hippy student w**ker didgeridoo players.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 15 2018 at 05:20
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
hotandserious View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotandserious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 04:24
The new CHEER-ACCIDENT album "Fades" even singles out bassoon in the press release:

"Counted among the ranks of “Fades” best-in-class musicians are Katherine Young (“Bassoon colossus!” - The Wire), Julie Pomerleau (Bobby Conn) and engineer Todd Rittmann (Dead Rider, U.S. Maple) whose immaculate, nuanced production serves as the great unifier of Cheer-Accident’s most expansive, ambitious album to date."

Link to the album on Bandcamp:

Edited by hotandserious - June 15 2018 at 04:25
http://www.skingraftrecords.com
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 05:15
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Not as much as the shawm, that's for sure. I find five entries in PA's discography for the sousaphone and none for the shawm.

Although not prog but is prog-related with Fairport Convention, but not as a solo artist, Richard Thompson has had Phillip Pickett on some recordings playing the shawm. Notably off his 1988 Amnesia album is the track Don't Tempt Me with Tony Levin also on stick. Fantastic track here it is below....with a combined Phillip Pickett shawm and Tony Levin stick break at 2.06. Brilliant!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 05:58
^Nice track Smile Too bad the vid is not available here in +31, but I found it on Spotify.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:15
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

If Frank Zappa is to be believed the sarrusophone is a bit of a b*****d to play.

Well when I hear someone playing didgeridoo I'm usually seized by a strong desire to shove it up his arse. With a spiral version this would be more difficult, so it could be a measure of self-protection.

I'm not sure why I hate the didgeridoo so much but it may have something to do with the fact that in the early nineties I lived in a flat above a smelly hippy who practised on his at all hours. And he was f**king hopeless, even by the standards of stoned hippy student w**ker didgeridoo players.

Oh, definitely. If it looks vaguely like something from the gastro-intestinal tract, that's surely the natural home for it. 

I used to work with some idiot whose family clubbed together and got his gormless son a bassoon, very expensive one. I'd like to think they were all giving him some form of hint that they didn't like him very much.

Apparently he took it into school where some cruel, cruel boys sort of mistook it for a urinal. Deliberately. ;-)

The theory behind buying him a bassoon was that there were very few orchestral bassoon players, so he'd never be out of work: if an orchestral piece required a bassoon, he was the first person you'd think of. Faultless logic, really, but really the logic of despair. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - June 15 2018 at 06:17

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 06:28
Maybe Peter Gabriel could utilize the vuvuzela in a future live version of Biko..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>