Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Oboe shunned by prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 21:30
Peter Gabriel played oboe.  

http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/peter-gabriel-you-could-feel-the-horror-29379

I played the flute – badly – and the oboe very badly, and the drums pretty badly, but all enthusiastically.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2018 at 21:52
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I played the flute – badly – and the oboe very badly, and the drums pretty badly, but all enthusiastically.

Barbershop Quartet/Tin Pan Alley Prog complete with tuba solo, brought to you by Peter Gabriel:

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tholomyes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tholomyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 14:44
Karl Jenkins in The Soft Machine

Edited by Tholomyes - June 17 2018 at 16:56
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 16:07
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

<span style="font-size: 16px; font-family: "Noticia Text"; font-weight: bold;">I played the flute – badly – and the oboe very badly, and the drums pretty badly, but all enthusiastically.</span>
How different things might have been if PG had been the drummer / wind player and let PC handle vocals and lyrics in ‘classic’ Genesis. We coulda had a fifteen-minute version of Sussudio with bad drums and a terrible oboe break. I'd pay good money for it.

Edited by Mascodagama - June 17 2018 at 16:09
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 08:52
Just listening to Franco Battiato's Sulle Corde di Aries. A wonderful album that I would recommend to anyone. The final track is full of oboe.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 18:43
I'm having trouble imagining an oboe getting a really good aggressive sound without sounding quacky and shrill. Might be why a lot of proggers stick to flute, sax or violin for their "unusual" instruments. Anyone have any examples where an oboe is used as a rock instrument, rather than just for lighter/classically inspired parts?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 19:43
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

I'm having trouble imagining an oboe getting a really good aggressive sound without sounding quacky and shrill. Might be why a lot of proggers stick to flute, sax or violin for their "unusual" instruments. Anyone have any examples where an oboe is used as a rock instrument, rather than just for lighter/classically inspired parts?

Hm, in my opinion "shrill" equals "aggressive", so I see absolutely no problem there. An aggressive sax or violin also sounds shrill.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 21:12
My definition of shrill is more like "annoyingly trebly", so I would have to disagree with you there... of course we could spend all day arguing about timbral adjectives and accomplish nothing.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 03:01
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

My definition of shrill is more like "annoyingly trebly", so I would have to disagree with you there... of course we could spend all day arguing about timbral adjectives and accomplish nothing.

Shrill is definitely "annoying trebly", but that's exactly why it is aggressive.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 22:19
Upon reflection, I remembered hearing a bit of oboe on KC's "Lizard," perhaps on "Prince Rupert Awakes." 

I checked the personnel via Wikipedia: 

King Crimson
Additional musicians
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 22:21
More information about "Lizard," this article is great! 

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-crimson-lizard/

He did muster praise for "Bolero," writing, "This is the only part of the album I am able to remember with anything other than fear, terror, misery and suffering. ... The main theme, played on oboe by Robin Miller (co-principal oboist with the BBC Symphony Orchestra under [conductor Pierre] Boulez at the time) is a gift. This is a melody which sustained me in difficult times."

Edited by cstack3 - June 20 2018 at 22:26
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 16:28
There's great oboe work by Andrew McKay (Roxy Music), Peter Gabriel (Selling England-era Genesis), and Robin Miller (Crimso), to name a few.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 20:02

And then there's...

That’s Stephen Houston on oboe.

Edited by AreYouHuman - June 28 2018 at 20:04
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 05:37
oboe was used in the main theme of "Hergest Ridge" Part 1 by MIKE OLDFIELD while it seems to have been used in the main instrumental break of "Mother Russia" by RENAISSANCE.  Since most of the 1970s Renaissance albums used an orchestra, specific instruments are not always credited
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 06:26
...do it twice more, once with the oboe, once without it, and then - we finish.

The Robin Miller in question is also credited on Red. The wind instrument that plays the vocal melody around the 10 minute mark of "Starless" is probably his oboe.

Edited by austrianprogfan - June 29 2018 at 06:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 07:54
There's also some oboe during the verses of Fallen Angel. Sounds like a combination of oboe and soprano sax playing the vocal melody at the end of Starless (as well as the reprise of the guitar melody).

Edited by ForestFriend - June 29 2018 at 07:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12