Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not New To Prog But New To Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 20:09
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Thanks for the links to these three albums!

I've had a listen, and the one that interested me most out of the three was Amon Duul II album.  The musicianship on this one is excellent and it's highly experimental.  Certainly an album that's now on my radar.

Not sure about the Hawkwind.  It sounds a bit dated to my ears.  I find the best prog rock has a timeless sound, regardless of when it was created.  If it sounds dated to me then that's usually not a good sign.  It also seems to hit some of the prog rock clichés as well (it sounded a bit Spinal Tap at times) and the vocals are a bit irritating.  At times it sounded as though they were trying too hard to be "arty".  Having said that I have radically changed my mind about prog albums after owning them for a period of time, so who knows...

The Guru Guru was a very pleasant listen with excellent musicianship.  I like jazz fusion, but this one is maybe a bit too out and out jazz for me.  I think it also doesn't have enough edge to it to keep me coming back, but a very enjoyable listen all the same.

Thank you for sharing these albums!

Guru Guru are the chameleons of prog; almost every album is in a different style. Just compare these albums to Jean's recommendation:

And these are just some examples; they like to try out everything.

Edited by BaldFriede - June 19 2018 at 20:18

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 16:08
Listened to Leftoverture.

American style prog rock is not something I'm used to and it may take me a while to get used to the different style.

Certainly very rocky.  On first listen it sounded like classic American rock and roll with progressive elements tagged on in places.

Definitely worth another listen though, just not sure whether I'll take to it or not yet.

I also listened to Wobbler "From Silence to Somewhere".

Wow!! What an album!

This one smacked me in the mouth right from the start and kept me hooked throughout.

I didn't know modern bands could make prog rock albums like this.  This one has gone straight on the "to buy" list.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Songs cast a light on you
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 04:21
Hi BaldFriede,

I wanted to find the time to listen to these three albums before coming back to you.

I found this music extremely interesting and you're right about them being chameleons.

Definitely a band that I'm now interested in (although I noticed that there are only a very small number of reviews of these albums on PA)!

Thank you for giving me the experience of this great music

Best wishes
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 17:48
If you like medieval / folksy sounding prog, i have to recommend to you an undersung masterpiece - 'Far and Forgot: From the Lost Lands' by Francis Lickerish. The original guitarist from The Enid, but I think this later work is utterly sublime:

https://francislickerish.bandcamp.com/
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 06:20
Thanks TheGazzardian - I'll see if I can track it down on YouTube and have a listen

I like all sorts of prog, but especially the medieval / folksy stuff.

I was very excited to see Gryphon reform properly a few years ago and went to see them perform last year and they were excellent.  Very much looking forward to the new Gryphon album due out very soon (they played a track from the new album and it was very good)
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 20:25
You can listen to it on the link above, it's bandcamp so it's streaming for free. You can also buy it there if it tickles your fancy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12