Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia 2018 World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russia 2018 World Cup
    Posted: June 16 2018 at 14:54
No thread for this yet? Really?

So, how do You like it so far? I watched a few games. Clappies for Iceland! Clap And Australians also fought well against France.

The team from my country, Poland, plays its first game on Tuesday 19.06 with Senegal.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 15:42
Have not watched anything yet so far.

My team is England 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 16:07
go finland! 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 19:51
Watched pretty much every game so far, best game was Spain - Portugal which was a thing of wonder. Most games have been good, only awful team so far was Saudi Arabia. Lots of tight games, pretty entertaining. VAR hasn't been too bad. Nervously waiting on England on Monday.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 11:38
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

VAR hasn't been too bad.

Have to disagree there. As someone who has had a whole season watching it in action at my local championship, I've been founding it atrocious to the point of asking if it's really there. Some very serious mistakes have already been made in so few matches (Portugal and Argentina's awarded penalties merited a review, IMO, Spain's first goal was preceeded by an obvious foul, Argentina should have been awarded a clear penalty) plus a lot of minor mistakes.
Bigger on the inside.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 11:39
The favourites who have played so far have all underperformed, the best of which was probably Spain. Even France, despite the win, looked shabby. 

Curious for Brasil today.

Edited by Kotro - June 17 2018 at 11:41
Bigger on the inside.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 13:17
Mexico!! Clap

And Switzerland equalized with Brazil! Clap
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 04:40
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

VAR hasn't been too bad.

Have to disagree there. As someone who has had a whole season watching it in action at my local championship, I've been founding it atrocious to the point of asking if it's really there. Some very serious mistakes have already been made in so few matches (Portugal and Argentina's awarded penalties merited a review, IMO, Spain's first goal was preceeded by an obvious foul, Argentina should have been awarded a clear penalty) plus a lot of minor mistakes.

I've yet to see a decision that went to VAR called incorrectly. There may be examples that I haven't seen where the ref has overridden VAR by his own interpretation of the video footage (but that's his prerogative) VAR is not going to prevent most instances where fouls committed outside the penalty box are not awarded prior to goals being scored. The only realistic expectation we can have is that it reduces clear and obvious errors where red cards, off-sides and penalty box infringements are not correctly called. The ref is not obligated by VAR to review any decision he has made. Similarly, if the technology fails due to a systemic fault (as it did in the Grand Final match here in Australia) the ref will still have to make the same impartial judgement he and his linesmen  have been tasked to make since the game was invented (or are you also going to blame 'lack of VAR' on VAR as well?) There has and always will be mistakes in the officiating of football matches. With VAR, there will be fewer mistakes.

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 18 2018 at 04:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 05:05
I thought Australia deserved a draw against France and don't believe either Peru or Denmark will relish facing the Socceroos. Mooy and Rogic in midfield are as good as anything I've seen in Russia to date. The French reminded me of Belgium i.e. the whole is way less than the sum of the parts. That's also the worst display by a German side I've ever seen, (including a 1 v 5 pummeling to England from 2001) and Mexico could have won by a wider margin in the end. Sad to report that football, even at international level is being dragged down into the media cult of the 'personality' over the 'collective'. For Brazil (read NEYMAR) for Argentina (read MESSI) for Portugal (read RONALDO) I can't relax and enjoy a World Cup properly until England are eliminated. Go Tunisia....Wink
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 05:54
I always enjoy the WC more once I've got over the personal torture of England performances & they get knocked out.
Ian

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 07:15
USA!  USA! US......oh wait...wrong sport!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 07:28
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

This is not the World Series, the clue's in the name, the world cup, the whole world is invited.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 13:48
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

This is not the World Series, the clue's in the name, the world cup, the whole world is invited.

There are over 190 countries participating this year? Damn, this thing is going to take a loooong time to sort out. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 14:18
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

There are over 190 countries participating this year? Damn, this thing is going to take a loooong time to sort out. 

Of the 210 FIFA member countries, 208 participated in the qualification tournament which ran from 12th March 2015 until they arrived at the 32 finalists currently competing in Russia 2018
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 14:31
Can someone explain to me how not a single Tunisia was booked, they get a penalty for a stray elbow but they are allowed to wrestle Kane to ground on every corner. One of the worse refereeing performances I've seen in a long time. At least justice was done. What's the point of VAR if they are going to let that go?
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 14:41

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Of the 210 FIFA member countries, 208 participated in the qualification tournament which ran from 12th March 2015 until they arrived at the 32 finalists currently competing in Russia 2018

sure. but not everyone made  the real tournament. 
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 14:45
It's all the real tournament
Ian

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 21:09

It's all the real tournament

I suspect countries like the USA and Italy may disagree. 
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 03:04
To be fair, England are traditionally slow starters. 

They've been warming up since 1966. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 08:01
Hi,

To be honest, I think that FIFA has not warmed up to VAR or any system that takes some of the cheating out of the game. it seems no one has explained to them that INSTANT REPLAY has not hurt the American games, and is very much a part of American Football (the fall game!), and it does not take anything away from it.

The "fear" that FIFA and other traditionalists have that it takes the human out of the game, is unfair to the players and the fans right now. None of us will complain if the foul is there, or the ball crossed the line. But FIFA does not wish to show that they support VAR, and they are merely complying with TELEVISION and its desire for a more complete game, that does not cheat the fans, which the TV can show you really quick.

As such, ten fouls on Neymar in a game, should have brought on a review more than once, and even showed a couple of cards, but it was ignored. Likewise, taking away goals, and not giving penalties when it should ... just tells you that FIFA told the referees, that do not wish to rely on VAR fo resolve games. 

Again, the old line of folks in FIFA need to be removed! The more things change over there, the more they stay the same!

As far as my choice? Any team that relies on one player, is not likely to have a good chance, and will get punished. This has been the case for many years, and FIFA has ignored that some greats are getting punished and it has been like that since Czechoslovakia discovered that all they had to do to stop PELE was to kick him in the ankles until he falls off the game altogether ... which he did, being human! And the same is still happening, and Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar will get punished hard ... unless their teams take up the difference and allow their players to steer clear of punishment ... sadly, only Messi is a great passer of those three.

I'm not sure there is a "favorite" yet, but Belgium and France look promising, but I would not rule out a Portugal or Spain ... their draw shows that they are not going to stop trying to score ... and that is not a good thing for many opponents. I can see it now ... Belgium/Spain or Belgium/Portugal and the score being 4-4! Or another 3-3!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>