Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia 2018 World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 13:14
Great result for England, shame about the behaviour of the fans. There was almost a riot outside our local pub and people taking an ambulance out of action by jumping on it is just shameful.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 07:18
I think all four teams in the other quarter final half (France, Brazil, Belgium, Uruguay) are stronger than both England and Croatia. It's France's world cup to lose!
I can't see Croatia beating England after how battered they looked toward the end of the Russia game. I love Croatian football but I think they don't know how to deal with a tight defence. I was less than convinced of what they did against Denmark and Russia - I'd have hoped for a stringer performance. They need opponents' mistakes but are too prone to making their own. OK they are good for one or two flashes of genius so if all comes together they have a chance but my money would be on England and eventually on France.
I follow Croatian football for a long time but their journey is gonna end today. (Actually some of these guys have very questionable ideas and behaviour off pitch so I shouldn't be too sad about this.)

Edited by Lewian - July 11 2018 at 07:19
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:48
Come On England! Happen to be in an English pub for the game.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 14:48
Gallant effort from what was a very limited England team. Given that the likes of Germany, Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Uruguay and Belgium were all toppled early, a better chance to repeat their 1966 heroics will never occur again. Seconds after the final whistle a public holiday was declared in Scotland.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 15:24
Hi,

Wow ... I was expecting a France/England revival and another war of kings to add to the history ... just for fun!

Guess what? England lost to Croatia.

I get to watch France and Croatia? ... (secretly I want Croatia to win, to stop this BS about the world powers being the only countries that can stand up) ... go Croatia ... but if France's defense does to Croatia what it did to Belgium ... I think that we're in for a long game and a closing with penalties ... ohhh please, not in the Final!

(... hmmmmm good lesson for progressive music fans! There are others out there! But Croatia has to win first!)

Edited by moshkito - July 11 2018 at 15:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 15:40
God that was tense to watch. But so worth it.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 16:36
Magnificent how Croatia became sharper and sharper as the game went on. How did they still have the power? Incredible. England smoked them completely in the first half but it was a very different game later. Croatia deserved to win. It wasn't always beautiful but I loved to see how experience, intelligence and class got the better of youthful naivety and power.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 17:48
"........just a pool of tears!"
Well done, lads - you did us proud! Maybe next time.....
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 23:54
Sooo England will face their group rivals atleast, in the battle lf the bronze.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 07:03
^ I've never really seen the point of the 3rd place playoff game (apart from sticking more money in FIFA's insatiable hole) Given that these players have just finished a long and tiring domestic season, the last thing their current or anticipated employers (the clubs) need is a serious injury caused by fatigue. Which means of course the fringe players get a run out and the paying customer is not getting value for their hard-earned cash spent on travel, accommodation and tickets. It cannot be dissimilar to ELP playing an encore but being replaced by Eno, Livgren & Paice (erm...that might be quite interesting come to think of it?)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 07:52
People always complain about the 3rd place playoff but more often than not it's attractive and good fun. Players and managers complain, too, but eventually those who play still want to win, and optimally still want to play football because they're footballers, that's what they do.
I like the implicit message of it that it doesn't only count who wins the whole tournament.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 08:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

People always complain about the 3rd place playoff but more often than not it's attractive and good fun. Players and managers complain, too, but eventually those who play still want to win, and optimally still want to play football because they're footballers, that's what they do.
I like the implicit message of it that it doesn't only count who wins the whole tournament.

Do you really think that even the most partisan football fan cares to remember who finished 3rd or 4th at any World Cup?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 09:04
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Do you really think that even the most partisan football fan cares to remember who finished 3rd or 4th at any World Cup?

most certainly provided the team you root for is one of the two teams playing for 3rd place

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 09:50

If you ask me for all teams that ended up third in WC history, out of the top of my head I think I can give you all but two or three.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 09:58

^ I've never really seen the point of the 3rd place playoff game (apart from sticking more money in FIFA's insatiable hole) Given that these players have just finished a long and tiring domestic season, the last thing their current or anticipated employers (the clubs) need is a serious injury caused by fatigue. Which means of course the fringe players get a run out and the paying customer is not getting value for their hard-earned cash spent on travel, accommodation and tickets. It cannot be dissimilar to ELP playing an encore but being replaced by Eno, Livgren & Paice (erm...that might be quite interesting come to think of it?)

I'm not sure this is a fair criticism, but it has some merit ... why play a game that is second best?

My feeling is, if I were the coach/manager, that it is an excellent time to give the younger players a lot of time, and see how they handle the higher abilities of many players out there. It is an experience that helps these players get better, and any folks not wanting to take advantage of that opportunity, will likely never play in a national team again. I would let the big names play one half ... and then sub them, for example, although some might think that is an idea that the game is being given up, but many of the players in the team, are too proud of their association to not show up for the game and not seriously try ... but yeah, it's possible that we might find a very poor game, but it would be more fun, if this time, both teams end up in a scoring war and the game ends at 4-3 or 3-4 and we all ... have fallen out of our couches at least 3 or 4 times and spilled out drinks twice!

This way we can say it was a good game!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 01:03
^ we already have something in place to allow the fringe players a chance to show what they can so. It's called a friendly international Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:52
It's now (almost) official: the tallest dwarfs in the village are Belgium. Can a fan of either England or Belgium please post anything that might repudiate the idea that no-one gives a flying f.u.c.k about the outcome?

Edited by ExittheLemming - July 14 2018 at 18:31
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 13:47
Brrrrrrreeeeexxxxxxxiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............

TongueBig smileClapStarCoolEvil SmileLOL
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 16:24
In some ways I find the 3rd place game more exciting, because only one team will go home with something. Sure, winning is better than 2nd place, but really both teams are getting something. (speaking generally, as it's pretty clear I'm not a soccer guy) 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 17:39
England showed up in the second half, but Belgium's midfield was far superior and they were deserved 3rd place - and even finalists if they hadn't been daft enough to have won that last group match!!! No complaints.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>