Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia 2018 World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 07:15
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Croatia 3 v 0 Argentina
Like any 58 year old man's tattoos, Sampaoli's birds of prey and ferocious predators are mutating daily into corpulent penguins and bloated lap-cats. From the federation down, Argentina are an omni-shambles and things behind the scenes must be that bad to make a team with this much individual talent perform with so little evident passion or desire. Messi without the ball is just one kit less that needs washing.

This may be the greatest thing I've ever read here. Clap

Go England!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 08:39

I agree that expansion will only lead FIFA down the same rocky route as UEFA where both are in danger of milking their cash cow into the abattoir. At this rate my home country (Scotland) just might nick a place in the finals after a tricky two leg play off decider with LaplandWink. Thanks for posting the planned tournament schedule for the 48 team WC Finals. 

I actually think that a lot of this is happening, because they do not want the huge economic countries that bring in a lot of revenue, left out of the tournament. The USA or Japan, or Italy, or Brazil, or the like, not coming to the cup, means an incredible loss of revenue, regardless of where the Cup takes place.

UEFA being better organize as a bunch of countries, is much better positioned to see the potential in wideing things, than FIFA, who has been controlled by one person for a long time, and his design and ideas were/are more important than anything. It was one of the that said that they really needed to get Africa involved. And they did. And then they wanted Asia more involved. They did. And this is something that UEFA, knew they could not wait 4 years to get it done ... get all the members together and pool the efforts and ideas and let's see what sticks, is what they did, so that everyone could benefit from it. By comparison, FIFA has been living and stealing off its name for 48/52 years, and no one is any wiser for it.

Ideally, for me, might be to create a round robin affair at the start ... three teams is not enough ... it's just 2 games, but at least the pressure would be on SCORING, rather than a tie, but this hurts the higher level teams a lot more than the lesser teams. One error, and it is disaster for a big name/country. I, do not want to see the great teams and players out of the Cup in the first game, and neither do you.

I would probably say 12 groups of 4, and cut it down to the top 2 for 6 groups of 4, and then bring it down to 12 teams, with the 4 best teams getting a bye. This would be a GREAT idea, since it would force the bigger teams to score to get a better ranking. And in that second round, they would fly to try and get that extra goal, instead of playing for a tie, since they do not have to do anything else, and they can save players, and rest some. 

After that the quarters, semis and final as they already are. But having that second round be a much more important scoring affair, would be much more valuable ... and it might make the game more appealing, instead of the lesser results. 

However, for me, the 0-0 affairs are fine when they have that keeper with 12 saves, and that other keeper with 13 saves ... and you know that on that day, it was a keeper's game ... and that is worth it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 14:14
Phew, that was a nerve-wrecking match for fans of Germany.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 14:37
Germany deserved the win, they're still not convincing and will have to play better deeper in the tournament. The winning goal was gorgeous.
Ian

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 18:44
Germany usually get the job done even when they are not playing particularly well. (or when they've had a player dismissed 13 minutes prior to scoring their sublime winning goal) Coach Low bravely rang the changes and was completely vindicated in dropping Hummels, Khedira, Platenhardt and the uberfraulein Ozil for Reus. (and I'm saying that as an Arsenal fan) This is clearly a diminished side to that of 2014 but I still feel they can defend their crown as none of the opposition big guns have kept their powder dry thus far....(and before anyone says it, yes, Belgium have been impressive but they are swatting aside some very inferior opposition, with all due respect to both Panama and Tunisia)

Speaking of respect, I almost forgot to mention that Kasper Schmeichel is a very good goalkeeper but a massive sledging c*nt. Big smile

Go (whoever plays Denmark, in Kasper's lifetime) Thumbs Up

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 23 2018 at 18:51
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 02:35
Former English player Gary Lineker updated his famous saying "Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win" and replaced it with "Football is a simple game, 22 men chase the ball for 82 minutes and the Germans get a player sent off so 21 men chase the ball for 13 minutes and at the end the Germans somehow f***ing win". LOL

Edited by BaldFriede - June 24 2018 at 02:37

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 05:31

Speaking of respect, I almost forgot to mention that Kasper Schmeichel is a very good goalkeeper but a massive sledging c*nt. Big smile

Go (whoever plays Denmark, in Kasper's lifetime) Thumbs Up

Now now, there there.
Like father like son.LOL
Shake & bake.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 06:49
Panama's sole contribution to this World Cup? (Attempting to be the first team in history to finish 3rd in a football match) Ouch
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 05:49
Ian

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:54
^The Harlem Shake updated.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 08:11
Come on Uruguai
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:01
I thought both Spain and Portugal were a tad fortunate to draw their matches with Morocco and Iran respectively (any German technical staff out there might want to look that up....)
To the letter of the law Aspas' late equaliser was offside (look at where his upper body is, not his feet) To be fair to Portugal, Iran's penalty award was ridiculous as handball has to be deemed deliberate (Soares couldn't get out of the way of the ball's trajectory at such close range, he wasn't even looking at the ball never mind trying to deflect it to safety....)

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, VAR will never remove the need for an official to make a judgement call all said and done.

Enjoying the tournament so far, loads of incident (but too many soft penalties bring awarded)

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:19
On the images I saw the only part of Aspas' that was offside was his arm which isn't used in offside decisions as it can't legally play the ball, therefore onside & they got the call right. On Iran's penalty his handball wasn't deemed to be deliberate, it doesn't have to be, it was in 'an unnatural position' which is the other way a handball can be given. His arm was raised above his head and therefore it was the correct decision. I thought both calls were good calls.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - June 26 2018 at 07:19
Ian

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:20
Eh... Unhappy
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:22

I thought both Spain and Portugal were a tad fortunate to draw their matches with Morocco and Iran respectively (any German technical staff out there might want to look that up....)

We found the problem!

No German technology on VAR!

Tongue

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, VAR will never remove the need for an official to make a judgement call all said and done.

I think that it's mostly growing pains with VAR. And that too many officials don't like the intervention of the TV, but then, they are not sitting in the booth watching what the fans can see that he/she and their assistants can not ... specially the offsides situation, that is the most abused, and the one that needs to be addressed differently ... I like the idea from the old days, that if the pass came from beyond the half way line, "offsides" could not be called. It was a sort of "unwritten" rule in Brazil when I started playing.

In the end, VAR is going to win, since the TV, more often than not will support it. And the officials that ignore it and do not use it, will find themselves out on the street, which in my book, is a good thing. I do not see that instant replay hurts any game in America, and FIFA making an issue of it, is just being stubborn and stupid and not watching the games on TV now and then to see the horrible mistakes and the calls that were ignored. I hate to see a WC game change in the end, because of it.

My take, and I did not watch the games (no TV), is that both Spain and Portugal could have gotten pasted, and in some ways should have been. Many of the "low level" teams are doing well and showing folks that they are not left overs ... and that is a great sight ... and the next WC in 4 years, will be very interesting because of it. BTW, I do not think that the USA will make it again. They are STILL not bringing up youngsters, via MLS, and many of them are leaving for Europe to sit on the bench.

Not a great way to move "forward". I kinda think that Italy is going through the same thing as well. No youngsters coming up and while have Buffon on the game is nice and he is very good, it really means that a youngster is not getting better and having a chance ... guess what hurt the American team? No one to replace the ineffective players!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Eh... Unhappy

??
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:46
Overall I think VAR has been successful so far, it has mostly corrected wrong decisions and if it cuts down the grappling in the penalty area on corners I'll be very happy. There has been a subsequent increase in penalties but the players and coaches will adapt to that and stop doing the stuff they used to get away with.
Ian

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

On the images I saw the only part of Aspas' that was offside was his arm which isn't used in offside decisions as it can't legally play the ball, therefore onside & they got the call right. On Iran's penalty his handball wasn't deemed to be deliberate, it doesn't have to be, it was in 'an unnatural position' which is the other way a handball can be given. His arm was raised above his head and therefore it was the correct decision. I thought both calls were good calls.

For me, (and I accept this is pedantic) more than just Aspas' arm was offside and the linesman also clearly thought so (as he raised his flag despite Pierluigi Collina's dictat not to flag borderline off-sides to prevent goal scoring opportunities being converted) BTW what would the call have been if the ball had deflected accidentally off Aspas' upper shoulder and into the net? However, can you jump into the air to contest a header without raising your arms for leverage? (by imitating Punk's dance craze 'the Pogo?'Wink)
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 08:22

Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Eh... Unhappy

??

Disillusionment with Polish team's performance.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 10:39

For me, (and I accept this is pedantic) more than just Aspas' arm was offside and the linesman also clearly thought so (as he raised his flag despite Pierluigi Collina's dictat not to flag borderline off-sides to prevent goal scoring opportunities being converted) BTW what would the call have been if the ball had deflected accidentally off Aspas' upper shoulder and into the net? However, can you jump into the air to contest a header without raising your arms for leverage? (by imitating Punk's dance craze 'the Pogo?'Wink)

Accidentally off upper shoulder would probably be a goal but its hard to image a player deliberately positioning himself to accidentally divert the ball into the net, it's such a low probability I think we're safe :)

The jumping for a header without raising your arms is an interesting one, clearly its not possible but they've been calling it this was for year so that players don't 'accidentally' leave their hands in the air and deliberately block shot, how do you tell intent? They need to be aware of the risk and play accordingly as referee's are going to call that all day.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>