Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Russia 2018 World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 14:55
Hi,

That Japan/Belgium game was a heart breaker and one of those energy drenching games watching it. 

It gets a WOWOWOWOW for sure.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 04:19
^ I so wished Japan had won yesterday. Belgium seemed arrogant and this is inexcusable for me. I honestly hope Brazil will kick their butt in the quarter finals. :)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 04:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ I so wished Japan had won yesterday. Belgium seemed arrogant and this is inexcusable for me. I honestly hope Brazil will kick their butt in the quarter finals. :)

Because Brazil aren't arrogant? (or any top level pro soccer players?)Ermm
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 05:55
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Because Brazil aren't arrogant? (or any top level pro soccer players?)Ermm

I'm only judging by the game I watched. 
Maybe I exaggerated a bit, I meant no disrespect. 
I just rooted for Japan, they did a great job and lost the game at the last minute. The smirk on the Belgian coach face at the end of the game was annoying. Or maybe I'm just seeing things...
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 06:07
Japan were excellent, they seemed to be able to adapt their game plan for whoever they were playing against, they can certainly go home with heads held high, they were a great addition to the WC. Personally I find a lot of teams (Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Italy, England) more objectionable than Belgium but they've all pretty much got to where they are in life today by being told they are fantastic from a very young age. I find it best to enjoy the sport more than try to connect with the players personalities. There are certainly wonderful guys out there playing professionally but they tend to be the minority in my experience.
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 14:56
Excellent wins for France & Belgium, Uruguay really missed Cavani & I won't miss Suarez at all. Horrible mistake by the keeper for the second goal that killed off Uruguay. Happy to see the back of Neymar, should have been booked for his dive in the box. Gorgeous goal by De Bruyne on the break & Courtois kept them in the lead with some great saves.
Ian

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:05
Belgium will take some beating, Nogbad. They've threatened for several years with their EPL stars, but this time it looks like it's all come together.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:15
I've been a Brazil fan ever since Rai and Bebeto...so yeah I was pretty gutted about the end result. Then again I too am more than happy to be free of Neymar's antics. It is horrendous to watch and such a shame when you think about what he actually can do with a football. I think he should've been thrown out the second he looked like someone had amputated his leg. No chances, yellows or anything. Cheerio fecker!
I feel similarly about Portugal because, like Brazil, they too have played wonderfully imaginative football over the years, which is what attracts most kids in it for the GAME, but yeah there's that infernal Ronaldo. I can't stand him.

As for now I am left with Sweden or whoever I find the most thrilling to watch. Here in Scandinavia we root for our neighbours when our team is out of the tournament
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:20
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Belgium will take some beating, Nogbad. They've threatened for several years with their EPL stars, but this time it looks like it's all come together.

Belgium & France were two of my picks before the tournament. I don't see anyone in the bottom half of the draw beating either of those two. Croatia are probably my dark horses in the bottom half. I'll be very happy with England irrespective of how much further they get, they're good enough to make the final but also dodgy enough to lose to Sweden. I don't think England would beat any of the quarter finalists in the top half of the draw. 
Ian

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 17:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

As for now I am left with Sweden or whoever I find the most thrilling to watch. Here in Scandinavia we root for our neighbours when our team is out of the tournament
I feel s slight optimisme about the Swedish team, they seem to have good spirit and are hard working, to bad they have a striker who doesent score. I hope for a reprise of 1994
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 11:28
Engerlund Engerlund Engerlund
Ian

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 11:47
Congratulations England
There's a part of me that wants the country to experience 1966 again. Get away from Brexit for a bit.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 13:30
"It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming.....football's coming home!" (in 9/8 time, obviously)
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 13:38
Squaonk, just noticed you're in Darlington, I grew up in Guisborough just south of Middlesbro. Will be back there on Wednesday for a vacation. Need to find a pub to watch the semi.
Ian

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 14:15
Good luck on your return, Nogbad! Hope you find a big screen and some decent ale and food too! Haven't been to Guisborough for a while, but The Anchor Inn always had a proper pub feel. I would imagine the sports bars in Middlesborough will be heaving, if you want some semi-final atmosphere! Have fun!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 14:31
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Squaonk, just noticed you're in Darlington, I grew up in Guisborough just south of Middlesbro. Will be back there on Wednesday for a vacation. Need to find a pub to watch the semi.
Boro fan?

I'm Leeds, God help me.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 14:31
The Anchor used to be my local, I may well be there in Wednesday, it's one of the last proper pubs in Guisborough.
Ian

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 15:24
Russia still great for extra time equaliser. Once again penalties.
England face biggest challenge so far. But then some say Croatia played subpar?
If it's first since 1990, remember the recession of 1992ish!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 16:39
England v Croatia - anyone's game....but if the 3 Lions turn up and get more clinical and creative, only Modric is a threat. As for the other semi-finalists, what a game that could be. Can't help but think the winners of the World Cup will come from these two, with Belgium my tip......but who knows! Best World Cup since 1966!!! Only a Gabriel/Hackett-based Genesis reunion would top an England win - and I'll leave it with you which is the unlikiest!!!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 08:17
Ivan Racicic and Madsukich can also cause problems
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>