4 [20.00%]
8 [40.00%]
8 [40.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums: Moon Safari/ OK Computer/ Homogenic
    Posted: June 19 2018 at 11:12
Not the Prog band Moon Safari as I am an airhead (in more ways than one).

Perhaps this poll will be of more interest than the last Radiohead/Air match-up since Air's studio debut tends to be the most loved album by the band, and the Radiohead album is massively popular. That said, I don't think this as good a match-up as those other two albums -- Kid A and 10, 000 Hz Legend had more in common with each other, and I think 10, 000 Hz Legend does fit as a sort of Crossover Prog album better than Moon Safari. I added in Bjork's 1997 album as I think it works well for the poll (I've read that Thom Yorke likes it and it has stylistic similarities).

At rateyourmusic, Air's Moon Safari has a 3.74 / 5.0 from 10,868 ratings. It is #13 for 1998 and #634 overall. Pretty good rating.

At rateyourmusic, Radiohead's OK Computer has a 4.23 / 5.0 from 44,147 ratings. It is #1 for 1997, #1 overall. That is mega-huge.

Ok Computer is also the top-rated Radiohead album at PA with a 4.05 and 902 ratings. It is ranked number 8 for 1997 in the PA top album lists, so not as highly regarded here as at rateyourmusic according to our system and reviewers. I guess Art Zoyd's Haxan would be my number one for 1997.

As for Bjork's Homogenic (1997), it has a 3.80 with 157 ratings at PA and is ranked at number 34 for 1997. At rateyourmusic, it is ranked #3 for 1997 and #74 overall. At RYM it scores a 4.02 with 15,803 ratings. Homogenic Live is my favourite Bjork album, but I haven't heard many of hers (found the von Trier Dancer in the Dark film with Bjork terrific, by the way).

While album samples (tracks) as opposed to hearing full albums don't suffice, here are some tracks from each for those unfamiliar with the albums. I'm not going for most representative, just some ones that really speak to me.

Air - "La femme d'argent"

Air - "Talisman"

Air - "New Star in the Sky"

Bjork - "Joga"

Bjork - "Unravel"

Bjork - "Bachelorette"

Radiohead - "Airbag" and "Paranoid Android"

Radiohead - "Exit Music (for a film)"

Hopefully someone will discover something to like in this poll.

Edited by Logan - June 19 2018 at 11:34
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 11:54
OK Computer
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 12:57
I like all three albums, but I really dig the retro chilled loungy vibe of the album which evokes, say, mid to late 60s through early 70s French soundtracks while having a more modern edge. As a soundtrack collector, and as someone into the swinging jazzy lounge and exotica scene, the music resonates with me. I'm talking about Moon Safari if it's not sufficiently obvious.

Hmm, I'm wondering now if I should have also included Stereolab's 1997 Dots and Loops in the poll.... But then I might be tempted to do Flaming Lips and so on and get into a more and more varied poll.

Side question: What are your favourite tracks off the album of your choice (if you have any particular ones)? Sometimes I worry that the ones I choose are the wrong ones for certain people (I don't like to be off-putting with my choices for those who take the time to look into the music). Even for my own tastes, when limiting it to one, two, or even three tracks, I am sometimes unsure. I will often question my choices for the purposes of exposing people to music. Of course hearing bits of an album is not as good as hearing the whole thing when it comes to immersion, and some here have said, "I don't listen to tracks, I listen to [whole] albums". Sure, some albums only have one track, but you understand.

Edited by Logan - June 19 2018 at 13:23
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 16:09
Radiohead takes my vote.
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bankstatement Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 18:23
I love OK Computer but Homogenic is out of this world. Not only one of my favorite Bjork albums, but one of my all-time favorites
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 18:30
Nice job advertising Air, but if you put them up against giants like these, I can't vote for them. Actually it's nice but all too harmless music without much of a hook that makes me want to listen to it again. I'm not even much interested in lyrics but chill out music like that will never reach what can be done with a good voice and strong songwriting.
OK Computer is such an iconic album from beginning to end and Homogenic has Joga, one of the most moving songs of all time, and is pretty cool also otherwise. It's really hard to choose between the two; I think I feel more like Homogenic today. 
From OK Computer I'd probably pick Climbing up the Walls but it's quite even, quality-wise.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 08:51
I don't understand the Bjork love (but then again I don't "get" Kate Bush either, so what do I know!) 

Radiohead by a mile.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 12:38
^ To understand the Bjork love, you've really got to understand the psychology, attitudes, background/ experiences of the individuals who do love it. Taste is formed in complex ways and it correlates to so many aspects of us.

When it comes to music loves, I think so much just has to do with your personal music and otherwise journey, personality, and the associations we make. If you wren't exposed or interested in music that acted as gateways to the appreciation then you're less likely to appreciate the music. I have always appreciated quirkiness. And I love Kate Bush, and have since I first started seeing her music videos when I was 11 or so. I expect that my Bush appreciation did help me to appreciated Bjork (Bjork's music played quite a lot on the radio in Japan when I lived there, but it was seeing her in Dancer in the Dark, a film I loved, that really got me to explore her music more).   I think that you often can also tell a lot about what kind of music might appeal by ones other arts interests -- and other interests. I've long wanted to do a correlative study of that. I like quirky, experimental and art house films, and so I often like quirky, experimentlal music, for instance. I also like laid back music such as Air....

Not that I would think that you would like it, but Isobel off Homogenic Live was the first song of hers that I really loved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAIGC6CR4M
To each his or her own tastes, and life experiences (which of course inform our tastes).

^^ I wasn't thinking about advertising Air, although I did share my "of that day" love of the other album. That was fresh to me as I had not really listened to it before then. I knew individuals at this forum who love the Moon Safari album who I thought might not have given 10, 000 Hz Legend much of a listen as it's a commonly lower-rated album, but I find it a more exciting and progressive album than Moon Safari. So I was aiming that past poll more at people who like Air for Moon Safari (Moon Safari was a very popular album, and I've heard music from it playing in supermarkets (muzaky) and bars quite a bit. of course by adding Radiohead, I was aiming towards a bigger audience (but I really do think that those albums are comparable in various ways, and for me, the Legend album has music that quite deeply resonates with me).

Moon Safari used to be my driving music of choice because it's not demanding and my family didn't complain. I have played Can, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Henry Cow, Cardiacs, Franco Leprino, Soft Machines' Third, Magma, Eskaton, Area etc. in the car and it didn't go down that well for my passengers. They did quite like Cos and Picchio dal Pozzo and various Tangerine Dream as it can be light (I wouldn't play Zeit for my kids).

I really did this poll using the Moon Safari album, in my mind, as a way of appeasing the people I know here (even if most are gone), by doing one that relates to the other and still gives them a voice to share their opinions on that album (the most popular Air album). I like the album, but it's not that dynamic. Since I love kinds of music it references, Moon Safari does still work for me. It's a "mostly harmless" album, and good to chill to when one wants to. I like to chill to Kitaro too even if I commonly favour more experimental and/ or dynamic electronic artists. The music I want at any time fits a move.

Those Radiohead and Bjork albums are great, and I did want to bring more exposure to them and maybe deepen my appreciation for the albums. I love Joga, but doing this poll deepened my appreciation for Bjork. It gets me listening to stuff in maybe a new way. I can see how it can be off-putting to put a lesser classic up against these Radiohead and Bjork albums, which are each monsters in their own right, but some days I want a monster, other days I want something smaller that is light and breezy. Still, had I included Art Zoyd's Haxan in the poll, which I don't think fits well enough, that perennial favourite from 1997 would get my vote.

Currently listening to Janko Nilovic's Rythmes Contemporaines as it suits my mood at the moment..

Edited by Logan - June 20 2018 at 12:45
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 13:26
The Björk album is the most interesting one out of these for me.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 17:39
I knew individuals at this forum who love the Moon Safari album who I thought might not have given 10, 000 Hz Legend much of a listen as it's a commonly lower-rated album, but I find it a more exciting and progressive album than Moon Safari.
Same here, at least from the very patchy listening initiated by your polls.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 13:25
^^^ 10,000Hz is more progressive I agree, but I prefer listening to Moon Safari.

Out of the poll choices I vote Radiohead. All good albums though.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 18:47
All great albums, voted Bjork, Homegenic and Medula are my favorites
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 03:27
OK Computer. No question. One of my favourite bands and albums of all time. Absolutely beautiful and utterly timeless.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2018 at 15:24
Radiohead
 Post Reply Post Reply