Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Living In Past Turns 46 (June 23)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Living In Past Turns 46 (June 23)
    Posted: June 23 2018 at 12:51

Critical reception

AllMusic review the collection positively, stating that: "Not only was Ian Anderson writing solid songs every time out, but the group's rhythm section was about the best in progressive rock's pop division. Along with any of the group's first five albums, this collection is seminal and essential to any Tull collection, and the only compilation by the group that is a must-own disc."

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 13:34
One of my top five Tull albums. And yes, I consider it an album, not a collection. In fact, it would have been better without the additions of songs from the first four studio albums. Just the EPs, singles and live material (which could've been lengthened, as there is a lot more material available from the Carnegie Hall concert).
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 16:46
One of my all time favorite albums, with a lot of interesting music and great songs; a proof that a song doesn't have to be long to be progressive.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 18:10
My very first Tull album i bought back in ‘89, Leather-like cover and booklet inside. HappyBirthday !!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 19:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

My very first Tull album i bought back in ‘89, Leather-like cover and booklet inside. HappyBirthday !!

You know, I think all the songs from that era have been remastered in one form or another (many by Steven Wilson). I'd actually buy a Living in the Past remaster or reimxed set with a real leather cover. That would be cool. I am surprised greedy Ian hasn't thought of it yet.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 00:29
I remember, when as a kid in a record shop really wondered this with itīs booklet, also there was original Thick as a Brick with all those magazine pages. Bought this over ten years later as second hand copy, old repress, but not having that leather effect in cover. One of the greatest compilations ever made!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 05:23
The Live side is INCREDIBLE.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 06:42
^I am sorry if I cause disappointment to you, but it was fixed in the studio. The middle part in Dharma For One (the one where is percussions & vocals) didnīt go well, so they fixed it. The original version is in Live at Carnegie Hall 1970.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 07:14
^ No disappointment - most ‘live’ things are doctored in the studio.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:06
I have the vinyl version with textured cover and amazing booklet. A treasure from a past era. Still a great album.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:17
Cool videos, too!
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:24
I made this "thread" in, say, 5 minutes - looking for videos on YouTube included.
 Post Reply Post Reply