Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis vs The Residents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these groups is the proggiest?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [77.19%]
13 [22.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis vs The Residents
    Posted: June 24 2018 at 06:30

Genesis vs The Residents, which of these is the proggiest? To answer this requires that one consider what it means to be "prog", and these two groups represent rather different meanings of that term. It is up to you to choose what "prog" means to you.

I chose Genesis because they are perhaps the best representative of classic progressive rock. I chose The Residents because of their highly experimental oddball nature.

This poll is not asking which is the preferred group as it would be hard to compare such very different types of music and any such comparison would be pointless.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 06:56
Genesis up to the loss of Hackett are one of the proggiest bands around. The musical inventiveness, virtuosity, use of mellotron and the extensive use of visuals to enhance the live experience make them a leader in the field.

The Residents are just a bunch of guys fooling around IMO. They may be experimental, but they are a musical disaster area. They make Captain Beefheart seem normal. I don't even think they are progressive at all, at least not in the sense that it was used in the late 60s when I was one of the first aficionados of the genre. I understand that the meaning of prog is different to newer recruits and they may say, "It's prog Jim, but not as we know it", but to me, it's not prog.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 07:35
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Genesis up to the loss of Hackett are one of the proggiest bands around. The musical inventiveness, virtuosity, use of mellotron and the extensive use of visuals to enhance the live experience make them a leader in the field.

The Residents are just a bunch of guys fooling around IMO. They may be experimental, but they are a musical disaster area. They make Captain Beefheart seem normal. I don't even think they are progressive at all, at least not in the sense that it was used in the late 60s when I was one of the first aficionados of the genre. I understand that the meaning of prog is different to newer recruits and they may say, "It's prog Jim, but not as we know it", but to me, it's not prog.

Ahem. I am definitely not a "newer recruit" (though I was not around quite as early as you; I had my first prog experiences in 1972 at age 3 due to my elder brother who is 10 years my senior and who had to look after me while my parents were working), and I definitely agree with Progbones McCoy.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 08:50
I'm glad both bands are here but have never really understood the rationale behind the Residents inclusion on PA. (but then I've also never considered most Krautrock as Prog either and I like quite a lot of that) Maybe this is really the crux of the OP i.e. a variation on the Prog v progressive debate?. There are many who believe the current RIO/Avant placement is fitting for the maverick Louisianians but I couldn't provide an argument against that welcome being extended to the likes of Devo, Wall of Voodoo, PIL, Tom Waits or Pere Ubu (the list goes on) so where do we draw the line?
For me the Residents roots are firmly embedded in 60's 'trash/kitsch' psychedelia and their (earlier) music encompassed a DIY punk ethos that exploited by necessity, whatever crude lo-fi gadgetry they had available to create sounds (garage electronica?) There are also elements of Harry Partch, Forbidden Planet OST, Raymond Scott, Dick Hyman et al referenced in their output. Whether that makes them progressive or even avant-garde is debatable but I discern a 'backwards looking' aesthetic that seems to resemble a weird hybrid 'retro futurism'
(Yes, the view from inside my own backside is lovely thanks Embarrassed)
One of the most notable features of the Residents' sonic arsenal is their ability to warp recognizable timbres obtained from one source into those originating from another e.g. On 'Duck Stab' from 1978 there is some conventional bowed articulation on the accompaniment, but it seems to come from the brass, as though the horn players had swapped instruments with the violinists. Is this 'acoustic modeling' prefacing the digital sampling revolution by several years?Shocked

Short version: Genesis are way proggiest but both can be enjoyed on their own merits
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 09:27
Substituting "proggiest" (I dont believe in such a thing) for "more adventurous", the Residents clearly.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 12:44
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I'm with you on this one. I completely agree. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:02
Both represent different definitions of 'progressive.' Genesis in that they used symphonic structures to create sophisticated rock, The Residents to experiment with the nature of music itself. I tend to support the more conventional definition here as represented by Genesis but gave my vote to the Residents. Clown
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:04
Genesis. The Residents sounds like the avant crap I used to play when I was 16 and got my hands on a bass for the first time.

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - June 24 2018 at 13:04
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 06:08
Genesis up to Mr. Hackett's departure.
I can't tag The Residents as "prog" - their sound is way too "out there", at least to my ears.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 06:34
The Residents is to prog as Dada is to art.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:26
residents is artist with lot albums
i prefer music that tendency to symphonic, prog , classical
i am not interested totally in experimental

What supposedly  prog songs RESIDENTS have 
MADE IN PROG
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 08:43

To answer this requires that one consider what it means to be "prog", and these two groups represent rather different meanings of that term. It is up to you to choose what "prog" means to you.

To me prog is an amazingly inappropriate genre label, and the choice in this poll illustrates its half-bakedness very well.

"Es gibt kein richtiges Leben im falschen." (Theodor W. Adorno; "There's no right life in the wrong.")

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:00
I love The Commercial Album (and I don't mean any of the three man Genesis records either...)
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:10
To make people choose between the respectable well-known English farmer-gentleman and the astonishing anonymous American underground-eyemen is like asking if one prefers cannabis-flavoured tea with a hint of brandy or a pizza with hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Luckily, there's a common ground: good ol' Uncles Zappa and Beefheart from America and our men in Germany (Neu! or Faust, anyone?)
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 16:44
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

residents is artist with lot albums
i prefer music that tendency to symphonic, prog , classical
i am not interested totally in experimental

What supposedly  prog songs RESIDENTS have 
MADE IN PROG

The Residents made Six Things to a Cycle, which balances jazz with avant-garde classical (based on a ballet they created). The whole album of Not Available is pure prog, being a concept album with different characters. 

I probably like The Residents at my age more than Genesis, but Genesis were one of the pioneers of the movement, so the vote's pretty easy. 
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 16:53
Ooh, somebody is being cheeky now.

The avatar to my left should say something about where my loyalties lie, but I don't think I'll click this bait. The Residents have meant a great deal to me, but so has Genesis. Both have been brilliant in what they've done. But my apples are resisting being put in the same bowl as the oranges. Or perhaps the chalk is fighting the cheese to adapt the apter metaphor.

I think Mr Lemming gets it right above, and I can't add much more. I'll only add that The Residents have a lot more going on musically than some are indicating here--yes, there is some musicianship going on. Folks like Fred Frith and Don Preston understood that. But is the music prog rock? Not sure. Do they push the boat out? Sure.

Many, many bands here on PA, and so many, many that I hold dear. But this tent has become a big, big tent--one that includes Miles Davis's Kind of Blue and Super Furry Animals's Phantom Power (both great albums to my ears). It's a nice tent, and it keeps the rain out, but I sometimes wonder if there's anybody still left out there, outside the tent.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 17:07
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Ooh, somebody is being cheeky now.

The avatar to my left should say something about where my loyalties lie, but I don't think I'll click this bait. The Residents have meant a great deal to me, but so has Genesis. Both have been brilliant in what they've done. But my apples are resisting being put in the same bowl as the oranges. Or perhaps the chalk is fighting the cheese to adapt the apter metaphor.

I think Mr Lemming gets it right above, and I can't add much more. I'll only add that The Residents have a lot more going on musically than some are indicating here--yes, there is some musicianship going on. Folks like Fred Frith and Don Preston understood that. But is the music prog rock? Not sure. Do they push the boat out? Sure.

Many, many bands here on PA, and so many, many that I hold dear. But this tent has become a big, big tent--one that includes Miles Davis's Kind of Blue and Super Furry Animals's Phantom Power (both great albums to my ears). It's a nice tent, and it keeps the rain out, but I sometimes wonder if there's anybody still left out there, outside the tent.

When my friends and I visited San Fran, we searched for the address of the Residents' (the one listed on the records) because we're fans. We were led to these strange apartments, and I asked where some neighbors where this address was, and where the Residents were. Everyone was confused. Good fun, though!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 17:11
In regards to the Residents, I don't get it, I am not inclined to get it in the future, and truthfully, I don't want to get it. There is nothing that I have heard from them these many years that I find endearing, compositionally interesting or even worth an extra listen. If that is what is considered "progressive" then I am not inclined to progress to that specific realm of self-actualization. I guess I haven't evolved to the point where that is music. I like it right where I am at, blithely comfortable in this leather chair. Although a mint iced tea sounds good. Perhaps someone will bring me a glass. Hello? Hello! Damn, I have to get up.

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 25 2018 at 17:20
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 18:29
^ Ditto....except have someone bring me a mint julep.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 09:15
Genesis all the way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>