Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?
    Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:43
Calling All Stations was... Poor, but not the end of the world. I still don't understand why Genesis called it quits. The songwriting is still there. Could be saved with an editor.
But the feeling I got after listening to that album was "Well, onwards and upwards! Next one will be better."
But as we know, there wasn't.
Were they too traumatised by the death of Princess Diana? (Now there's a kiss of death for an album!)
If you make a mistake you at least try and rectify it. Not throw in the towel.
Or was it the lack of sales in America? Again, not the end of the world and something to build on.
Do you know why Genesis called it quits?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 14:27
Perhaps Genesis had a Revelation.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 17:31
Phil won't commit to another album. They realized they needed Phil. There was a division between Banks and Rutherford, however, on continuing on. They did do the 2006 tour. Now Banks says its unlikely they'll ever tour again. An album seems really unlikely. None of them have wrote much music the last 15 years (excepting Hackett, and, perhaps buried on a hard drive somewhere, Peter Gabriel (???))
Luxis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luxis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 19:50
 > NO GABRIEL, NO GENESIS.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 19:53
As I recall, Tony Banks mentioned in an interview, that it would be too much to re-invent the band, as they had to go for a completely different sound/style, and they had no enthusiasm to do it, so they decided to call it quits and move on.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 21:37
let's be honest Phil isn't in good shape---Tony has said this---but Genesis could go on if they brought Hackett back which would be the only thing that could make it interesting at this point
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 01:45
It could be done : Hackett, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and D’Virgilio. It could be done.........
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 04:50
I haven't even kept up with modern Genesis at all, and I can assume it's Phil's health.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 05:47
Calling all Stations isn't a Genesis album IMO. It's Banks/Rutherford project involving the singer of a third division grunge band. It's not an awful album, by any stretch but it's not remarkable enough one way or another to be awful.

I guess they quit because it felt like the right time to do so, although I felt that the time had come immediately after We Can't Dance, if not before. Genesis needs Phil Collins and/or Peter Gabriel in the mix to be Genesis IMO, end of.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 06:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

It could be done : Hackett, Banks, Rutherford, Gabriel and D’Virgilio. It could be done.........

THIS!!!!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:23
Could it be that Rutherford and Banks were, simply, bored by the weight that is the Genesis status as a band?
I guess Rutherford has more fun playing with the Mechanics than performing "Turn It On" once again in a 6-months tour.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 07:29
^Yeah...none of them at this point need the money..they are all rich so it becomes what one really wants to do. I wasn't aware that Hackett or Gabriel (they both have had solid solo careers) were interested in recreating Genesis as an original band. I thought they had said no before.
For me Duke was when they should have ended it...it was the last album that had some decent prog music. imo.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 08:26
I think they just ran out of gas ( and original members) It went from 5 to 4 ,3, 2...
 I think it was just time to call it. 

Edited by Argo2112 - June 25 2018 at 08:30
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:32
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Perhaps Genesis had a Revelation.
Ha ha, rof!

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2018 at 09:32
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

THIS!!!!
I like this idea, though I don't think Gabriel and Hackett would be up to it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 09:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Yeah...none of them at this point need the money..they are all rich so it becomes what one really wants to do. I wasn't aware that Hackett or Gabriel (they both have had solid solo careers) were interested in recreating Genesis as an original band. I thought they had said no before.
For me Duke was when they should have ended it...it was the last album that had some decent prog music. imo.

+1!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 03:36
Steve Hackett's band has been doing fantastic things in recent years.  As all the Genesis members age, he is the one musician who seems to keep coming back to the studio and the stage with enthusiasm and joy in his work.  He plays a lot of Genesis songs, and his band is quite worthy of the task.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Could it be that Rutherford and Banks were, simply, bored by the weight that is the Genesis status as a band?
I guess Rutherford has more fun playing with the Mechanics than performing "Turn It On" once again in a 6-months tour.

well it's true that Genesis was a huge money making machine for lot's of people--but when something is that big and you don't need money anymore---reinventing yourself on a smaller scale is logical at least to me--Banks Hackett Rutherford and a few more good guys would be real interesting---think Mike is the most commercial of all of them
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 11:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Calling all Stations isn't a Genesis album IMO. It's Banks/Rutherford project involving the singer of a third division grunge band. It's not an awful album, by any stretch but it's not remarkable enough one way or another to be awful.

I guess they quit because it felt like the right time to do so, although I felt that the time had come immediately after We Can't Dance, if not before. Genesis needs Phil Collins and/or Peter Gabriel in the mix to be Genesis IMO, end of.
I agree except I think Calling All Stations is quite awful album.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2018 at 13:23
I haven't even heard calling all stations....don't think that will change in the next thirty years....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>