Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrench Lick for Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Lick for Crossover
    Posted: June 25 2018 at 12:36
French Lick was a '70s band from Fullerton, California. They sound like a pomp/prog crossover band to my ears. I hear elements of Yes, perhaps a bit of Styx, 10cc, and American prog in general. They only released one album, Glider in 1976. As far as I can tell, French Lick was named after a town in Indiana (I could be wrong), the music does have a bit of a Midwestern feel about it despite their California origins. Amusingly on one cut, on one section of "Ibiza" they quote Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Resolution" from Birds of Fire. Not a whole lot known of this group, although Jon Willoughby did later play for Stacey Q in the 1980s. There's a certain Robin Williams on percussion, but I'm sure it's not the actor/comedian, as he was still an unknown living in San Francisco at the time.

This album isn't too widely known because it was only released on vinyl and hard to come by these days, but worth it. It's clearly not challenging symphonic prog, but nice example of (what sounds to my ears) crossover prog.

Here's the album:

Since there are not other bands with the name, info can be found easily on both the YouTube video posted as well as on Discogs.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 17:31
Thanks for your suggestion, added on charts.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 22:24
 Post Reply Post Reply