FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Game soundtracks inspired by prog music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game soundtracks inspired by prog music
    Posted: November 25 2020 at 04:11
Dan Forden stated that the music from The Living Forest in Mortal Kombat II is heavily inspired by Jethro Tull; particularly, the flute textures used:

He also states the following bands as huge influences on his sound design work in all the games he's done:

" I like a lot of different things, but bands / artists I’ve always liked include: King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant, Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Nine Inch Nails, Bill Frissell, Fred Frith, Steve Vai, Audioslave, Alice in Chains, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Cheer-Accident, Carla Kihlstedt, Sheryl Crow, Chris Whitley, Filter, Frank Zappa, Incubus, Joni Mitchell, Korn, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Peter Gabriel, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Shudder to Think, Yes, UK, Bela Bartok, Olivier Messiaen, Paul Hindemith, Alban Berg, Thomas Newman, Igor Stravinsky... I’m sure I’ve left some out..."

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2020 at 03:57
Not a gamer, and with no examples of prog-inspired soundtracks here, but I've always wondered if UK's Alaska was ever used for a particular game. I would imagine there's plenty of game soundtracks inspired by it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 13:44
In the lands where I was born and grew up, namely post-Soviet Ukraine, Sega Mega Drive (that's how Sega Genesis was called outside of North America) was a cult thing. SNES was too expensive, its cartridge packages easily dissolved (literally), Sega was the reallest cult deal. 

Now I have played or at least launched on emulators EVERY licensed game produced for Sega MD/Gs. I am always trying to invent (faux and not so) reasons why I dislike Super Nintendo. For example, scrolling shooters on Mega Drive sure win (there's nothing like Eliminate Down, Steel Empire or Wings Of Wor on SNES). 

Also the music on SNES usually sound too orchestral, too pompous and somewhat good old 30s-50s' Hollywood-wise - in MY personal opinion. 

By the way among the products of homebrew nature of the later era there are some literal classic prog compositions for use on Sega console - all were done by me myself the humble poster... HERE THEY ARE MENTIONED. As of now they have never been released on cartridges, but I had some plans about the future release. 

Because of its very age and hardware contents, practically any possible sound on 16bit game consoles positively sounds like a kind of prog. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 09:42
Mike Oldfield created his own!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_(video_game)

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2020 at 08:41
Hi,

I was just remembering that Vangelis wrote the music for a specific game, but forgot its title ... I think I have it, and have to look at my collection!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ericake View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2020 at 23:50
I've been working on a playlist of progressive rock inspired game music (1850 songs at time of posting). I haven't been super strict about what I consider to be "prog" so the description states it contains prog/rock/metal inspired music, but the heart of the playlist is still PROG. I'd love to get some opinions. Let me know if there's any games you think I should add or remove!

Edit: you'll find that some games are not next to others of the same franchise. This is usually because I find removed videos and I have re-added them to the bottom of the playlist. I'm not going to take the time to sort almost 2000 videos

Edited by Ericake - November 16 2020 at 23:55
SkynyrdLynyrd175 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkynyrdLynyrd175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 11:10
Christopher Larkin, that composed soundtrack for Hollow Knight, have interest in progressive music. Info from his site: "While his studies transported him to the world of classical and contemporary classical music, he maintained a strong connection to electronic music, progressive rock and videogame scores."

Time signature changes in one of boss fight themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoP3oWOqLVo

Of course Hollow Knight's OST is not progressive rock. But... maybe someday he's going to make something progressive? Here's one of the videos from his channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCsNiAkoBGA

Hollow Knight is a masterpiece indie game anyway. 
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 23:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGmhtFgoAGA

NieR, aside from having one of the best stories of any game i've ever played (since the 90's) has a soundtrack that rivals Xenogears, Final Fantasy, and the best from any you guys have mentioned and you you've mentioned great music from really great games!

The sequel, NieR Automata, is also equally well done in a similar vein.

Edited by SoundsofSeasons - July 31 2019 at 23:03
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 14:36
Interesting. Forget about trying to write great prog music. Rather, can the snazzy riffs be used in video games as a possible future revenue stream? Ka-ching! Yes ... will ponder more on this. Nobody pays for music now these days anyway.   $0.001 per YouTube streams. A few thousand streams can pay for what? Perhaps a meal at Taco Bell?   Hmmm. Very powerful the dark side is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 13:51
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Tim Follin! MASSIVE win. This same guy also did Silver Surfer for the NES, which is equally as amazing IMHO:

Desperado View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 13:00
I started a blog where I try to find such occurences. If you are interested, I'd be happy to welcome you:

https://www.destructoid.com/blogs/PhilsPhindings/
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 03:07
German composer Chris Hüelsbeck said he was influenced by his fellow countrymen Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk for the Turrican soundtracks :

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 16:29
Originally posted by Clegg Clegg wrote:

Contra 3: The Alien Wars for SNES is probably my favorite video game soundtrack. The music to me sounds like it was inspired from 70s Jazz Rock/Fusion. Mainly a mixture of Jean-Luc Ponty, Herbie Hancock (early 70's - Headhunters era), Mahavishnu Orchestra and some Return To Forever. All with a Sci-Fi influence added into the mix.

Listen and compare for yourself:

This one always reminds me of Contra 3

There's also this Return To Forever track where in the first minute and elsewhere, sounds like it came from a Sonic The Hedgehog game for Genesis.

^THIS post, right here! I'm glad I'm not the only one; I hear SO much Herbie Hancock influence in Sega Genesis OSTs, it's not even funny. Lightning Force (Thunder Force IV) is like straight 70's fusion. 

So much Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock influence in all the early 90's 16-bit classics. Which would make sense, seeing as it was 20 years out from that time period. Designers and the like were probably listening back in the day!

I have so much to add to this thread when I'm not on mobile!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - July 22 2018 at 16:30

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:37
I'm not much of a gamer, but I do know that when the progressive band "An Endless Sporadic" released their first EP that 3 of the 4 songs on it were used in various video games.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 18:37
The Mortal Kombat team was inspired by a lot of 70's prog bands. Dan Forden (lead sound design for MK1-MK4) was a HUGE Jethro Tull fan. Ed Boon admits to being a massive Genesis fan, even adding the easter egg "blood code" for the Sega Genesis home version of MK1: "ABACABB".

MarketSquareHero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarketSquareHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 10:42
So only now I remembered that the famous game Minecraft has some passages that it seems like the Mellotron is being used.
Some songs that I can't remember (sorry) have an instrument that is very similar to the Mellotron used in "Los Endos" or in the end of "Blood on The Rooftops", by Genesis

Links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWa_yV1JDE&feature=youtu.be&t=15
https://youtu.be/EeZRdd_1b4g?t=299
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 11:20
Nice to see Motoi already get a mention. Those are great silver platters.

That said, here's Tangerine Dream's official GTA 5 score.

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 07:22
I'd argue that Stewart Copeland's work on the Spyro games were way more ambitious than anything The Police ever did. He really shined solo. And it left us with truly timeless, dynamic music
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 06:52
Originally posted by Skybird Skybird wrote:

(Long time lurker, first time poster, as this thread mixes my two main hobbies. Hello everyone!)Another Japanese composer between prog and video games is Motoi Sakuraba ( http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6843 ). His album list here is incomplete, as it's not featuring some but not all of his video-game OST (here's a complete-looking list : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoi_Sakuraba ). Many RPGs, starting at the PlayStation golden age of Japanese RPGs, such as Baten Kaitos, Valkyrie Profile, and many Tales of... games features his bombastic keyboard-heavy style, à la ELP. 

In the 80's, Motoi Sakuraba was a member of the band Déjà Vu ( http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=75 ), with the (according to me, cult classic) Baroque in the Future album.

Wow, thanks for the awesome recommendation of Baroque. I Love Motoi Sakuraba, I even own the Baten Kaitos officlal soundtrack. Never even heard of this album from him though!

I'd add in UNDERTALE as one, each song is pretty much a different style. Arguably one of the BIGGEST soundtracks from a game ever, from arguably one of the best games ever. 

Just about the only game soundtrack I can easily listen to from START to FINISH and enjoy every bit of it. 

Also, I'll throw in Stewart Copeland with these prog folks for his Police-to-SPYRO OST's. Keyboard-led, insanely CATCHY and DREAMY 

And a quick warning to those thinking about the new PS4 Spyro Re-Release.. They completely changed the soundtrack, so I'd advise against it. 
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 03:55
I was thinking of doing an up to date version of the theme from Syndicate. ;-)

I've actually hem hem used some themes from Magic Carpet, again by Bullfrog, in one long piece I did. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>