1 [4.55%]
2 [9.09%]
4 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 06:48
Hi,

I can't vote on this ... when I came to America, I did not speak a word of English, and it took me the better part of the next 10 years to get comfortable to be able to listen in, and make sense of what is said ... and even here, sometimes, folks say that I did not get it and that is almost 50 years later!

Even things like Star Trek, did not make it for me, because I could not understand a lot of the dialogue, and by the time I got into theater and film (1975), a lot of TV went down the drain for me. TV, even the English version I could catch now and then, was not half as good as a Godard, or a Bunuel at all.

Thus, a lot of these "series" failed to get my attention. A couple of them over the years have been OK with me ... one about stewardesses from England, for some reason, was very enjoyable with nice characters, and then lately, Game of Thrones. Other than that, I watched a lot of the original Stargate, and would love to get those DVD's ... but can not afford it anymore being retired. The follow ups to Stargate, were not as strong, or as well written, and most stories were cardboard carbon copies, just like Star Trek, although the Picard series is interesting, it still had way too much residue of the cardboard past.

South Park has been fine ... once a year for 20 minutes. The original Twin Peaks, was boring as heck, but then I was already into the far out and experimental film makers to appreciate these, and thought the stories were dumb.

Over the years, I have not watched anything from HBO ... the interest for a pay service over TV just wasn't there. I'm not a TV person at all, and for the past 10 years I have not had a TV and have not missed any of it, specially the commercials.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 07:13
Sorry but none of my favorites are on that list...

My favorite series is the indomitable "One Step Beyond"...in a class of it's own, really, and something I did not see back in the day, but discovered on dvd decades after it's run.

Another fave is Star Trek, the original series
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 11:42
Even if none of your particular favourites are on Morningrise's list of his favourites, methinks you might be missing out not to have any favourites of the list (at least any preferences of the list). I don't know if you've seen many of those shows. I haven't seen a number of them, but I adored Fargo and enjoyed the most recent Twin Peaks very much (maybe neither is to your taste even if you have seen them). I'd love to see your own list of TV shows, Doug (expect I'd find some that I really like). The more variety of people making such topics the better for me (thing I like most is discovering new-to-me shows thanks to such topics as well as exposing others to ones that I love).

I've seen some One Step Beyond -- my favourite anthology series of the time are The Twilight Zone and Outer limits, by the way.

Moshkito, I would recommend "Fargo" to you off this list (made by FX). "Westworld" is a modern HBO show that I think you might find intriguing (I used to subscribe to HBO and I still subscribe to Netflix). "Black Mirror" is a modern anthology series that I think you might appreciate. Some other modern favourites of mine are the French "Les Revenants", the Scandinavian "The Bridge", the British "Utopia" and "Dead Set" and the British dark comedy "Inside No. 9" (Charlie Brooker of Black Mirror said in a podcast that it was a favourite of his).

As for Black Mirror, fans of Star Trek might well enjoy the episode USS Callister.

With me, I don't watch that much TV or films these days. I listen more to podcasts, an I enjoy various audio dramas and comedies. My favourite radio comedy right now is Old Harry's Game (it's not new, but it was playing on BBC's iPlayer recently, and I sought out the whole thing).   I rarely find time for music too these days, as my listening habits are more podcast/ audio play inclined.

Edited by Logan - August 16 2018 at 11:46
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 13:40
Voted for the original Twin Peaks-series in the poll - not the new... Love Fargo too and a couple more of the rest of the options. Some personal favourites are

Leftovers (gets better practically for every episode and peaks from season two till the end)
Monty Python’s Flying Circus (if it counts)
Brideshead Revisited
Carnivale
Enlightened
The Singing Detective
The Kingdom (Riget)

Right now Sharp Objects seems to be the best thing in a long time.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - August 16 2018 at 13:44
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 08:18
^hey , Logan, thanks for your reply. I have only see the X Files and Breaking Bad from the list, the former is ok, and I don't like the latter.

here is my own list of faves

One Step Beyond 
Star Trek the original series
Dragnet (1950s)
The Twilight Zone original series
The Beverly Hillbillies
Get Smart 
The Lucy Show
Blake's Seven

Edited by presdoug - August 17 2018 at 08:19
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 09:58
Those are classics, Doug. The only one I know little of of those has been One Step Beyond, but I have enjoyed all of those (one ones got to see in my childhood in reruns). I especially love the original Twilight Zone, Blake's 7 (which I completely re-watched not long ago), the original Star Trek, and Get Smart was a favourite of mine growing up (haven't seen it in many years).

As for Saperlipopette!'s list, I really love The Singing Detective, The Kingdom (Riget), Brideshead Revisited, Carnivale and Monty Python is such a classic (and counts as my most quoted show over the years). I should watch The Leftovers (the concept is one that interests me) -- we may have discussed it before. By the way, speaking of Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective, I really liked Potter's Karaoke/ Cold Lazarus series.

Aside from those listed. Some favourite of mine are:

House of Cards/ To Play the King (the BBC one)
The Prisoner (original series)
Les Revenants
Utopia
Black Mirror
The Riff-Raff Element
Yes Minster/ Yes Prime Minister
The League of Gentlmen
Psychoville
Inside No. 9
The Outer Limits (original)
Misfits
The Day of the Triffids
Garth Merenghi's Darkplace
Peep Show
Toast of London
Snuff Box
The Bridge
Westworld
Game of Thrones
Chocky
In the Flesh
Dead Set
Cracker
Prime Suspect
Sapphire and Steel
The Tomorrow People
Doctor Who
Extras
Absolutely fabulous
Allo Allo
Black Adder...

Edited by Logan - August 17 2018 at 10:12
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:21
Great list Logan...I like many of the ones you listed.....you forgot the original Avengers with Rigg and MacNee.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:31
I see that you're keeping your eyes [Emma] Peeled. So I did, I do love the Avengers. And the Saint, and the Man from U.N.C.L.E, and Danger Man (aka Secret Agent). I also loved a classic one called The Invaders, and I forgot Wild, Wild West. It would be fun to make lists by decade.

Edited by Logan - August 17 2018 at 14:33
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:37
Those were all fun to watch.......Wild Wild West was wild.  ;)
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:06
Huge WWW fan.   The Will Smith movie was appalling.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:27
It was horrible, and so was the 1998 film based on The Avengers.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

How about The Green Hornet? It's unbelievable that Michel Gondry was the director of that piece of crap
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:56
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

How about The Green Hornet? It's unbelievable that Michel Gondry was the director of that piece of crap

I haven't seen it (love Gondry's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep). When it comes to directors-for-hire type projects, it fairly often does not matter which directors name is on the bill (especially when its not a really houehold name). Like with Ang Lee's involvement with the Hulk, which was hardly an auteur type project.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 13:28
Green Hornet was a spoof (even more than the '60s TV show), and not a good one.   Jet Li's Black Mask is a good take on the Kato character.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 03:23
No vote from me, as I've only ever seen three of the shows listed
rotten hound of the burnie crew
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 14:23
On this list, it is a toss-up between "Fargo" and "Hannibal".  I voted for Hannibal because it hasn't got any love yet, but talk about an intense series, I wish it still came on.   That's the problem when you have such an artsy series like that on network TV, people don't expect to watch a series that you really have to think about on network TV, let alone one that was so explicitly violent. 

As far as "Fargo" is concerned, that is another one that I love, and really missed it this past year.  The last thing I heard is that it will be back in 2019.  I'm a Coen Brothers fan, and even though it isn't directed by them, it is so very much like their movies.  (How about a plug for the new Coen Bros. flick "The Ballad of Buster Scrugs".  Loved it!)

Other great series are "Game of Thrones", "The Leftovers", "The OA", "The Haunting of Hill House", "Sharp Objects" and I was pleasantly surprised by "Big Little Lies" and I'll be back when I remember some others but I have to run now.

LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 11:22
None of the above.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:06
I don't recall 'None of the above'................was it a good show?

;)
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I don't recall 'None of the above'................was it a good show? ;)

The National Geographic Channel really did come out with a series called "None of the Above" hosted by Tim Shaw, which would make for some fun meta humour if Doctor Who was on this list. Tim Shaw/ Tzim-Sha....

Assuming that he's not talking about that National Geographic series, or the made-for-tv movie of the same name, perhaps because LAM-SGC's location says "se" and SE is Sweden's two letter country code (SWE with three letters) he doesn't watch much American TV (though in that case a slightly more detailed post might have been preferable for discussion value). I happen to love various Swedish shows, from Scandinavian Noir such as The Bridge (Bron) to sci-fi such as Real Humans (Äkta människor) both of which have made my TV show polls.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2019 at 13:35
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2019 at 13:44
^ Heh  Logan...did you watch Nightflyers on sci-fi and are you a fan of The Magicians..?
Both were pretty good imho.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>