Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: Roger Waters' Peak Singing Voice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd: Roger Waters' Peak Singing Voice
    Posted: June 30 2018 at 05:02
I have always found Roger Waters singing voice to be incredibly powerful and  moving. However, there is a time period of his career, about 1979-1984, give or take a few years, where he just seemed to suddenly reach a new level of singing prowess. I would recommend the live Wall album "Is There Anybody Out There?" The Earl's Court concerts in 80-81. Roger sounds like he has a larger range and fiercer vocal than earlier on in his career. This is also reflected on the albums of the time. I always found his singing on Final Cut to be perhaps an unrivaled success in terms of what he was trying to accomplish emotionally.

I also would venture to say that ONE of the reasons that Roger Waters began singing on the majority of tracks from Animals-Final Cut could be that at least he thought he was the best singer in the group, particularly for the material he was writing. I personally think that. I absolutely WOULDN'T want more Gilmour on any of those three albums. Moreover, I would say that in these years Waters surpassed Gilmour for most Pink Floyd purposes, even if he didn't have a prettier voice. I wish he had rerecorded Have A Cigar with his own vocal!

Anyone think I'm dead wrong and Gilmour's voice "going missing" was a big tragedy? Of course, then there's Rick, who I think was a good singer but not for PF material after Dark Side. I just don't see it. Some have lamented his absence as well.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 05:20
I’m thinking The Final Cut / Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking. The right amount of aggression/emotion for the concept/topic, and the music.
OR..........Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun.
Oh, 20 milliseconds later, Its A Miracle (the best piece of music in Roger’s entire life........).......for me.

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 30 2018 at 05:22
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 06:03
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I’m thinking The Final Cut / Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking. The right amount of aggression/emotion for the concept/topic, and the music.
OR..........Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun.
Oh, 20 milliseconds later, Its A Miracle (the best piece of music in Roger’s entire life........).......for me.

Appreciate the reference to It's a Miracle. Amused to Death is one heavy hitter after another. The title track usually makes me tear up. It's the kind of album he was building up to. And only Roger Waters could sing such songs convincingly.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 06:10
Incidentally, Roger is the reason I picked up a bass in the first place way back in ‘86 (thanks to the Live In Pompeii video). Totally righteous.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 06:41
I've always thought of Waters as Floyd's best singer, TBH (yes including Syd)

Though it seems that it's the tracks where Gilmour sings that get more airplay (except for Brick).

I've found that Gilmour over-reaches himself much quicker than Waters does;despite probably having a wider range.

Edited by Sean Trane - June 30 2018 at 06:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 06:52
Originally posted by ReactioninG ReactioninG wrote:

I also would venture to say that ONE of the reasons that Roger Waters began singing on the majority of tracks from Animals-Final Cut could be that at least he thought he was the best singer in the group, particularly for the material he was writing. I personally think that. I absolutely WOULDN'T want more Gilmour on any of those three albums. Moreover, I would say that in these years Waters surpassed Gilmour for most Pink Floyd purposes, even if he didn't have a prettier voice. I wish he had rerecorded Have A Cigar with his own vocal!

I'll disagree with much of what you say in this paragraph.

At one point, I guess Roger & Dave went the way Roger and Rick (Hodgson & Davies) went.Each sings their song, though Waters had Gilmour sing lead on a few of his tracks on The Wall and Let Dave sing Dogs (co-written). That would be reason #1 why David sang less, IMHO. On top of it, Dave's voice was best coupled with Wright doublinf (Echoes, Us & Them), and Wright wrote next t nothing  from Animals onwards (both  him & Dave having kept their better ideas for their respective solo albums)

However, I think TFC would probably be much more popular with Floyd fans if Roger had convinced David to sing at least a couple more of tracks on it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 08:24
This is one of those threads where I think we're not listening to the same music or the same singer. I definitely would put Gilmour above Waters, with Wright a close second to Gilmour. Come on, Waters doesn't sing, he talks.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 11:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

This is one of those threads where I think we're not listening to the same music or the same singer. I definitely would put Gilmour above Waters, with Wright a close second to Gilmour. Come on, Waters doesn't sing, he talks.

I agree. But I think what made Floyd great at their eight was the dichotomy between Waters' manic and Gilmour's mild voice. If you listen to the tone and timber of such songs as "Hey You", "Comfortably Numb" and "Dogs", the tenor of the song changes dramatically from one vocalist to the other and is an important aspect of the overall presentation. The duality is what made those songs interesting.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 12:32

You lidsten to too much rap Tongue

Just take Numb: Roger's parts are sultry, dangerous, spooky and yet delightful and revving only at 55% of his capacity (Roger's near full capacity can be heard in Another Brick... or Eugene's Axe, FTM), while Dave's parts are yelled out at the top of his lung at at a hairline's width of breaking a chord as he's at 99% of his possibilities
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 12:37
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

You lidsten to too much rap Tongue

Just take Numb: Roger's parts are sultry, dangerous, spooky and yet delightful and revving only at 55% of his capacity (Roger's near full capacity can be heard in Another Brick... or Eugene's Axe, FTM), while Dave's parts are yelled out at the top of his lung at at a hairline's width of breaking a chord as he's at 99% of his possibilities

Gilmour offers much more variation vocally. Waters tends to rave, and as Steve inferred, when he is trying to sing softly, it's much more spoken word rather than actual singing.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 13:06
Always loved Waters` screaming part in Careful with that axe. I think it´s really great there has been those three quite different vocalists in Floyd, love them all. Of course Syd was also great.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 14:20
I think The Pros And Cons Of Hitch-hiking was the last consistent Roger vocal work.
But here and there, "The Last Refugee" from his last album was the best vocal he'd done for some albums. Plus "Wait For Her".
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 15:16
Roger Waters has always been a lyricist rather than a vocalist. I think his peak was The Final Cut: his voice was already deteriorating at the time, but he could put a dose of venom in his singing which gave it some added value.

Gilmour is the better vocalist and his voice is not affected by advancing age.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 15:53
Gotta go with the Gilmour crowd here....much more pleasant voice. Waters' singing is perhaps my least favorite thing about Floyd. He's a fine lyricist but a very mediocre singer who as several have already pointed out tends to talk-sing his songs....though he does bring emotion to his words.

Edited by dr wu23 - June 30 2018 at 15:54
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 21:45
I do love Waters singing, and I have never understood why he is so underrated. And he is one of the most emotional singers around. Though still I think I might give the edge to Gilmour, I think Waters singing was more distinctive and special. Yet, Floyd were at their best when they sang together the parts that worked better for each one.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 00:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do love Waters singing, and I have never understood why he is so underrated. And he is one of the most emotional singers around. Though still I think I might give the edge to Gilmour, I think Waters singing was more distinctive and special. Yet, Floyd were at their best when they sang together the parts that worked better for each one.
In Dogs their collaboration of vocal duties works just so absolutely fabulous way, it just wouldn´t have been as great if there had been only Gilmour or Waters singing the whole vocals.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 04:26
Walters v Gilmour
Lennon v McCartney
Gabriel v Collins
DiAnno v Dickinson
Apples v Oranges
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 06:29
I don't think it makes sense to talk about them as better or worse singer. In the first place, Roger is a very unique and special singer. He does certain things in a way nobody else could, and where this makes sense he is a class on his own. But I can totally see how his singing can annoy people and it can annoy me, too. Dave is OK and pleasant and a much safer bet but by far not as interesting as a singer as Roger.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 01:54
I don’t think the O.P. was asking Waters vs. Gilmour.......
My understanding was Waters’ most effective and glowing vocal........
.......Chain Of Life perhaps   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 05:57

Not really related to this topic, but I was re-listening to Roger's latest album for the first time in six months, and it still sounds phenomenally good (even in the car)

I can understand those that say that often Waters talks more than he sings, but you also have to keep in mind what he's singing about: it's usually not love sogs or getting drink & wasted lyrics ... Sooooo it's not like Waters can sing like Withney or Shakira about Trump being a nincompoop either. He's gotta sound angry or derisive for a minimum credibility, right? Since his texts are so important, he's bound to articulate more every word than  gluing gooey-sickly love words.

Furthermore, for Waters' naysayers, consider Leonard Cohen's singing and how many similitudes there is between their respective styles. Nobody ever criticizes LH for his singing.
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Walters v Gilmour
Lennon v McCartney
Gabriel v Collins
DiAnno v Dickinson
Apples v Oranges

Hodgson vs DaviesTongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>