Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Pop by The Big Six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which band made the most Pop tune?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
30 [66.67%]
2 [4.44%]
9 [20.00%]
3 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Pop by The Big Six
    Posted: June 30 2018 at 06:10
I'm going with Genesis as having the most Pop tune here. I mean once Phil pulled the money train out of the station and Mike and Tony hopped on, it just got less and less prog to my ears. 
Deafmoon
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 06:13
Yep - Genesis. Down to that hideously ‘plastic’ and synthetic sounding production, claptrap and all......
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 07:55
actually think Genesis did some good pop--like" In too Deep". At least Adele liked it so she sayid in an interview lol. I mean is "Invisible Touch" as good a pop song as " I want to hold your hand"? Genesis wrote a lot of good popish music thanks to Phil Collins mostly. And Trevor Rabin said he wished Yes could be like them but Rabin can't write a lot of good pop just mediocre pop---with the exception of "Love will find a way" which is a good pop song.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 08:00
"Invisible Touch", followed very closely by "Owner of a Lonely Heart". I can hardly tolerate listening to them.

Edited by Manuel - June 30 2018 at 08:00
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 09:22
Who am I to argue !-)
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 12:37
If Genesis had changed their name when Steve Hackett left and relaunched as a new band, I'd have forgiven them and praised them as a good pop band, because some of their songs are very good for that genre.

But doing it under the Genesis name - never!

Edited by Hercules - June 30 2018 at 12:37
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2018 at 12:40
By the point of "Invisible Touch", Genesis sucked.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 00:06
Naturally it´s Invisible Touch. It´s one of the only albums I haven´t listened as a whole for years, leaving away that tittle song and "In Too Deep". Maybe I´ll try to listen it as whole some of these days.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 01:57
I never thought of Cat Food as a purely ‘pop’ song. Maybe Tippett’s piano gives it an avant touch.
Tiger In A Spotlight makes good use of that cliched riff it holds, not a bad song at all.
Another Brick is saved by that solo section.
The rest, I can live without.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 04:41
Follow You Follow Me was a big hit in the UK (don't know about America) 8 years before Invisible Touch and Genesis were already well on board the pop train by Duke when you think of Turn It On Again and Misunderstanding. Are we just talking about 'bad pop' or any 'pop'??
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 17:52
The only good pop rock is the actual pop rocks that you put in your mouth and eat. I guess 'I want to hold your hand' was a good pop rock. I like XTC and ELO's early stuff, kinda pop rock.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 19:09
For KC...Heartbeat, Model Man, or Man With An Open Heart would be the most appropriate. Cat Food really isn't that poppy.

To answer: Genesis
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 05:33
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

I'm going with Genesis as having the most Pop tune here.

. . . and you would be correct.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 05:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

For KC...Heartbeat, Model Man, or Man With An Open Heart would be the most appropriate. Cat Food really isn't that poppy.

Sleepless
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 08:08
Gee.....Genesis is winning....what a surprise.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 11:01
Genesis made the most pop music of all those bands. Obviously. Many of their pop tunes contained no clues whatsoever to their prog rock roots.

They did make some good pop though. Turn it on Again, Mama, No son of Mine and Follow you follow me are all worthy IMO. They made some sh*t too; Illegal Alien is an aberration. Invisible Touch is just bubble gum for the ears.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 11:36
Genesis pop is light years better than Phil Collins later solo pop. Ugh. His first album wasn't too bad but by the time of Sussudio and even worse, Another Day In Paradise, it was enough to make one want to barf

Edited by Jeffro - July 02 2018 at 11:38
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 11:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Gee.....Genesis is winning....what a surprise.

;)
Yeah, but I don't think leading unanimously in this poll is actually "winning" anything but a heaping handful of steaming poop.

By the way, who is the lone straggler that thought the KC song "Cat Food" was the most poppy tune? I had to laugh.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 02 2018 at 11:48
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 12:57
The fact that the OP listed that as a 'poppy song' makes one wonder about his musical knowledge about prog and pop.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 14:53
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Sleepless

certainly not as poppy as the three I listed. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>