Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proggiest Uriah Heep songs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proggiest Uriah Heep songs?
    Posted: July 01 2018 at 11:56
I love this band way more than the average person on this site. But I am starting to get tired of the songs I've heard from them, not in a way that I do not like these at all anymore, but more like they just have been experienced by me enough that my ears are not paying attention when I listen to them. I'm looking for proggy songs I may have missed from their 70s albums, or songs that I haven't listened to in a while that may have a new luster once I really pay attention. So, in your opinion what songs of Uriah Heep are the one that made them "Heavy Prog", instead of just hard rock?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 12:45
Which albums have you listened to most frequently? I prefer the ones with Lawton, particularly Firefly. I also enjoy Abominog a good deal.
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 12:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Which albums have you listened to most frequently? I prefer the ones with Lawton, particularly [I]Firefly. [/I]I also enjoy [I]Abominog[/I] a good deal.

I have listened to Look at Yourself, Salisbury and The Magician's Birthday mostly. I like Byron as a singer a lot actually, but I will listen to any Lawton songs you recommend me.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 13:01
Without question the title song from "Salisbury" is prog without any qualifiers. And it is fantastic.  Also, try "July Morning" from Look at Yourself (great Hammond), "The Spell" and "Circle of Hands" from Demons and Wizards, and the title song of "Magician's Birthday".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 13:20
the wizard ,a circle of hands and dark lady also july morning
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 13:23
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Which albums have you listened to most frequently? I prefer the ones with Lawton, particularly Firefly. I also enjoy Abominog a good deal.

I have listened to Look at Yourself, Salisbury and The Magician's Birthday mostly. I like Byron as a singer a lot actually, but I will listen to any Lawton songs you recommend me.

Not really prog, per se, but a great album nonetheless. This song opens the album.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2018 at 22:01

So, in your opinion what songs of Uriah Heep are the one that made them "Heavy Prog", instead of just hard rock?

I always thought the brilliant song "Sunrise," with its amazing vocal harmonies, fit the bill as Heavy Prog. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 01:58
As an overall, I would go for :
Gypsy
Salisbury
Look At Yourself
Most of Demons & Wizards and The Magician’s Birthday
Many songs on Sweet Freedom
Some of Firefly (Rollin’ On maybe....?)

Edited by Tom Ozric - July 02 2018 at 01:59
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 13:52
The ones mentioned above....particularly by Dark Elf fit the bill ,but to me Heep has always been more about 'heavy prog-heavy rock'.... than complex prog tracks. I used to think of them as Sabbath with keyboards and a different singer.
Indeed many years ago one reviewer from an unnamed  rock tome called them 'a mutant version of Deep Purple'.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 00:12
I was just thinking (!) - would Demons.....and Magician’s...... be as ‘Prog’ without the Roger Dean artworks ???
Thing is, at least when I spin those wlbums, I get lost in the art whilst listening to the song, and they go hand-in-hand........
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 05:17

Well, as you didn't list 'Demons and Wizards', unless you just forgot to mention it, that'd be the obvious place to go first. 'Circle of Hands' definitely the proggiest track, IMO.

I think Uriah heep are a bit of a guilty secret for a lot of people. I was surprised to find that a friend of mine who's known for playing in very intellectual avante-prog bands, when prompted could play and sing just about every song on aforementioned album from memory. In fact I snuck it into the CD player in the car on a whim, after not listening to it in years, and found I kept going back to it after everything else had been rotated out.

Even if the lyrics do get a bit suspect sometimes. I mean, when Byron sings, "I've tried for so long to find / Some way of helping mankind" I just somehow don't buy it.

I just remembered that when I was in high school I bought 'Wonderworld', and someone stole it before I even got it home. I'm not sure if I've ever actually heard it to this day  :/
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:47
I'll just name albums rather than individual songs to focus on: first album (Uriah Heep / Very 'eavy), Salisbury, Look at Yourself, and a some from Return to Fantasy and High and Mighty.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:50
I'm not a Uriah Heep expert by any means but I would think "paradise/the spell" would have to be on the list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:54
[I just remembered that when I was in high school I bought 'Wonderworld', and someone stole it before I even got it home. I'm not sure if I've ever actually heard it to this day  :/]

Isn't that the one with "stealin" on it? Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:59
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not a Uriah Heep expert by any means but I would think "paradise/the spell" would have to be on the list.

Edit: Ok, it's not that heavy but it's certainly very proggy.

Heavy prog from that same album would be "circle of hands" which tries to pound your head to the ground.
 Post Reply Post Reply