Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reggae/Dub in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reggae/Dub in Prog
    Posted: July 02 2018 at 11:16
Wonder if you know any other ones:

June of 44
Ozric Tentacles
African Head Charge (yeah I know not on the Archives, but who knows them anyway, maybe evaluation needed xD)
Rush (Vital Signs, Spirit Of The Radio,The Enemy Within, Grace Under Pressure Era (well I dont know them well enough))
maudlin of the well... its very hidden and more or less jazzy drumming but its actually reggae... just listen post rock start of heaven and weak. the reggae is actually omnipresent on this album and important for its unique sound too

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 14:41
Tortoise comes close enough on the Post-Rock side, can't really think of any others off the top of my head
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2018 at 15:02
IQ experimented with 'white reggae' back in 82 (bit like Rush & the Police) with their single 'Barbell is in'- if you can find the 12'' version of this its a bit more dubby.

Try Tower of Dub by the Orb.. ok, maybe not Prog but in the same league as the Ozrics

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 00:51
More people need to know about Here & Now. Had they formed today and released and album like Fantasy Shift I’m fairly certain they’d had both groupies and money for fresh fruit:
https://youtu.be/SBobXursW8Q
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 01:07
Does this count? 
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 03:12
I randomly picked it up because it had Charles Bullen from This Heat, and was super surprised.

Called Lifetones-For A Reason.
A reggae album with electronic, world, and kraut influences as well. Really surprised me. A relaxing, fun album.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 03:50

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 06:51
Yes, there’s a lot of reggae in prog, and the amount of bands that use it is quite extensive. I cannot, for the life of me, listen to pure reggae, but as an influence in a song, I can appreaciate it’s value.

Edited by Manuel - July 03 2018 at 06:51
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 07:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 15:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

More people need to know about Here & Now. Had they formed today and released and album like Fantasy Shift I’m fairly certain they’d had both groupies and money for fresh fruit:

Absolutely! 100% agree! Saw them on the Fantasy Shift tour about 82 or 83 and loads of time since and when they dub out they really dub out n Keiff da Bass really pumps it out.. 'Theatre' is also a great (mini) lp.. they are still touring and I saw them twice last year.

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 08:05
Me and Sarah Jane by Genesis has a bit of a reggae vibe in it---I like a good groove so I enjoy some raggaeton also called Dance Hall---used to go to a club with my friends from Trinidad called the Raggae Lounge was fun. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 08:54
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Absolutely! 100% agree! Saw them on the Fantasy Shift tour about 82 or 83 and loads of time since and when they dub out they really dub out n Keiff da Bass really pumps it out.. 'Theatre' is also a great (mini) lp.. they are still touring and I saw them twice last year.

You lucky *#%$£
Well I guess living in Denmark has it's virtues as well...but man some times I really do wish I resided in a different country.
I think Here & Now perfectly illustrates the secret handshake between punk and reggae that happened in between sets at the local club. The Roxy certainly played a lot of reggae. Methinks it most likely has something to do with weed and getting one's chill on in between hours of complete savageness. Yin and yan and all that good stuff.
The Police share the same heritage albeit with a slightly more straightforward expression.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 05 2018 at 08:56
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 08:58
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

I randomly picked it up because it had Charles Bullen from This Heat, and was super surprised.

* awesome music *

Called Lifetones-For A Reason.
A reggae album with electronic, world, and kraut influences as well. Really surprised me. A relaxing, fun album.

Thanks a bunch
Never heard of it before which is kind of surprising seeing as I am a sucker for such music.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 05 2018 at 09:20

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:02
I listened to Bo Hansson's Watership Down the other day and it has a couple of Reggae/Dub moments.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 09:19
You mean Bo Hansson's El-Ahrairah?
Just kidding, I've got the Swedish lp.
I think I remember something dub about it as well now that I think of it, but it's been a while.

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 12:08
^ ^^ Bunny Wailer makes an uncredited appearance. That record is 24 carrot gold.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 05 2018 at 12:08
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 13:11
Van der Graaf Generator's Meurglys III (The Songwriter's Guild): the last 8 minutes must have given UB40 food for thought, or at least something to improve.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:04

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

You lucky *#%$£
Well I guess living in Denmark has it's virtues as well...but man some times I really do wish I resided in a different country.
I think Here & Now perfectly illustrates the secret handshake between punk and reggae that happened in between sets at the local club. The Roxy certainly played a lot of reggae. Methinks it most likely has something to do with weed and getting one's chill on in between hours of complete savageness. Yin and yan and all that good stuff.
The Police share the same heritage albeit with a slightly more straightforward expression.

There was a big reggae/psych rock cross over in Bristol in the very early 80's which came out of the squat scene mixing with the St Pauls Rasta culture- I was just a teenager and helping a mates band who went on to play Stonehenge various times; they practised in St Pauls and the dub/rasta culture just bled over into the psych space rock that was being made (on London, Birmingham as well as Bristol).. yes, Weed was a part of it but it was also the street culture of the time and the free festival scene.. Here & Now, Ozrics plus loads of other bands (Freebase and Hippy sl*g. who Richard Chadwick from Hawkwind used to drum for) who just did the free festivals and never recorded. Theres a little psych festival happens in the countryside a few miles from me and Here & Now played there last year and they played in Glastonbury (about 40 miles away) 2 weeks ago

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:27
Love those psych rock festivals. We've got our own here in Denmark held in Christiania Freetown. It didn't featurw Here & Now though. Truth be told I had no idea they were still playing.

I have been thinking about visiting the UK as a music tourist instead of the usual shop till you drop lunacy with the girlfriend. Been there done that...never happening again.
The problem was always finding the right venue and psych festivals are just such friendly and interesting places. The ones I've attended felt like this wonderful oasis of music and highly imaginative tomfoolery, which coincidentally is one of my prefered hobbies. Duly noted good sir. Thanks a bunch!

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 15:58
See the little bit I put in the gigs and festivals section about Kozfest 2018.. Also there is the Glastonbury Psyche fest in Oct and the new Avalon ballroom weekends in Glastonbury and the Fruits de mare Weekend in Cardigan in Wales, all good small scale psych festivals. Ive always wanted to visit Christiana freetown!! Its somewhere ive heard lots about over the years but never got there.. my wife has family in Sweden and we've always talked about driving over via Denmark! Ah one day soon!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>