Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP - Drone / Ambient / Prog-Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP - Drone / Ambient / Prog-Electronic
    Posted: July 02 2018 at 22:16
Dear Prog Fans,

I need your help.  I am a long-time late-blooming prog fan (Steven Wilson, Floyd, Lunatic Soul, Anathema, etc), even though its been a lifetime in the making.

I desperately need help with finding ambient / drone music to help me write.  Most stuff out their is either dark (Lustmord / Kammarheit) or light (Steve Roach / Altus / Brian Eno).  A lot of it is quite inert and unfocussed.  I am looking for something that can help me write tense, brooding, defiant, stirring passages of writing.  I prefer percussion-less ambient drone, or very minimalist electronic soundtrack.  Things that I have that work are: Bass Communion, Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross soundtracks / No Mans Sky soundtrack / Lustmord / Kammarheit / Sleepover Series (by post-roc / indie band Hammock) and a lot of stuff by an independent artist called Altus.

Given how knowledgeable prog fans are, I was hoping you guys could help me find some stuff.  I may already know of it, but everything helps.

Thanks in advance
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 13:52
Have you tried Berlin School? I'm not sure how sedate you want to get. Berlin School is more eventful, but its hypnotic nature tends to be conducive to creative processes for certain individuals. 

blueavenger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 17:13
Thanks.
I don't mind the kraut-rock / 70's electronic style, but it normally dips a little too much into the psychedelic for me.

I own Phaedra, but haven't heard the other two.  I will give them a listen.

Thanks again.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 22:00
Aidan Baker.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 00:45
Jean Michele Jarre - Oxygen, perhaps?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 02:34
Try Cosmic Ground, I particularly like the third album, although the second is darker and more ambient.
Steve Roach has some dark stuff as well, check out Invisible and the Bloodmoon Rising series.
Lightwave is great too, it's dark, ambient but it's more electro-acoustic.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 02:54
Have you tried Tim Hecker? He has both darker and lighter albums, noisier and more ambient, depending on your tastes. Here is probably my favorite from him.

Terry Riley has that one album that is a full performance of his composition Poppy Nogood & the Phantom Band. I think you might like it, given you like minimalistic stuff. 

Some more older ambient Oneohtrix Point Never albums like Returnal might also be to your liking, I think. It starts with a very abrasive noise track, but after that it's full-on digital-age ambient.

Some other artists I would definitely recommend checking out are William Basinski, Gas (his more ambient albums like Pop), obviously Brian Eno (Discreet Music), and Takehisa Kosugi (Catch Wave). 

Will check back later if anything more comes to my mind. 
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 21:12
Great suggestions so far. Klaus Schulze’s “Mirage” helped me through a project I was working on once where absolute focus was necessary.

One of the finest ambient albums I have is actually by a band not known for their ambient work (more known as an instrumental guitar-based prog band). Djam Karet did an album called Suspension and Displacement that has become a favorite of mine of the genre. I think it may be along the lines of what you’re looking for.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:12
Probably should check out some Film Soundtrack music . Blade Runner 2049 has a superb soundtrack that is heavy on the drone/atmospheric side of things. Of course there are quite a lot of soundtracks in this mode but a lot of choice. The Dead pool (Lisa Gerrard and Klaus Schulze) is another good one.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 04:21
This is my kind of music. I have way too much electronic music in my collection...and I am actively trying to enlarge it as we speak. Heh.

Recs?
Oren Ambarchi - Hubris: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrmOThIkoY
Wolves At The Throne Room - Celestite: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRa86UllViE
Steve Moore - Pangaea Ultima: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-BLQqJcwk
Franco Battiato & Pinaxa - Joe Patti's Experimental Group: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gzV_bvyAbRE
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 10:43
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

One of the finest ambient albums I have is actually by a band not known for their ambient work (more known as an instrumental guitar-based prog band). Djam Karet did an album called Suspension and Displacement that has become a favorite of mine of the genre.

Absolutely. The Djam Karet fanboy in me is embarrassed for not bringing this up in my initial reply!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 05:29
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Aidan Baker.

Thanks!  Just listened to the Sea Swells a Bit.  It's good, particularly the lead track.  It falls more into the category (my categories at least) in-between full on ambient / drone and conventional music.

But it would still be great to write to, so this will definitely go on the list.

Thanks again.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 23:03
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Great suggestions so far. Klaus Schulze’s “Mirage” helped me through a project I was working on once where absolute focus was necessary.

One of the finest ambient albums I have is actually by a band not known for their ambient work (more known as an instrumental guitar-based prog band). Djam Karet did an album called Suspension and Displacement that has become a favorite of mine of the genre. I think it may be along the lines of what you’re looking for.

Thanks HolyMoly, Dark Clouds & No Rain is excellent and right on the money.
I will dig further into their work and this album in particular.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 18:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This is my kind of music. I have way too much electronic music in my collection...and I am actively trying to enlarge it as we speak. Heh.

Recs?
Oren Ambarchi - Hubris: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrmOThIkoY
Wolves At The Throne Room - Celestite: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRa86UllViE
Steve Moore - Pangaea Ultima: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-BLQqJcwk
Franco Battiato & Pinaxa - Joe Patti's Experimental Group: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gzV_bvyAbRE

Thanks Guldbamsen.  Some excellent suggestions there.  I'm loving the Steve Moore album, and also Hubris.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 18:46

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 18:54
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Have you tried Tim Hecker? He has both darker and lighter albums, noisier and more ambient, depending on your tastes. Here is probably my favorite from him.

Terry Riley has that one album that is a full performance of his composition Poppy Nogood & the Phantom Band. I think you might like it, given you like minimalistic stuff. 

Some more older ambient Oneohtrix Point Never albums like Returnal might also be to your liking, I think. It starts with a very abrasive noise track, but after that it's full-on digital-age ambient.

Some other artists I would definitely recommend checking out are William Basinski, Gas (his more ambient albums like Pop), obviously Brian Eno (Discreet Music), and Takehisa Kosugi (Catch Wave). 

Will check back later if anything more comes to my mind. 

Thanks ALotOfBottle.
The Tim Hecker Ravedeath album is just the right kind of genre I was looking for.  I wasn't so keen on Terry Riley as it was a bit abrasive and avent-gard, but Returnal is good and has a lot of ambient passages.

Thanks again.
CUVEE View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CUVEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 20:52
Hope this helps https://johns-band.bandcamp.com/track/outer-limits and some Prog-Electronic on this site.

Edited by CUVEE - September 01 2018 at 20:56
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 17:34
Thanks Cuvee.  It's the right kind of tone, mood and volume.  It sounds like a 'Paul's Stretch'-style slow down of a faster piece of music.  I've created a number of tracks myself using that programme.  Very few work, I find, because of that harsh, coarse texture to the notes once they're elongated.

But, again, I appreciate the response.
 Post Reply Post Reply