Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Spiritual/Religious Experience in Progressive Rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spiritual/Religious Experience in Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spiritual/Religious Experience in Progressive Rock
    Posted: July 03 2018 at 09:08
Hello! My name is Kimberley Anderson and I’m a PhD student in Theology and the Arts at the University of St Andrews. My thesis explores how certain forms of progressive rock might be connected to spiritual or religious experience. To make my project as accurate as possible, I am gathering first-hand accounts of how listeners experience this music, and I would be delighted to hear from you if you have anything to say about this combination of ideas. This month I am running a survey that is open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs and persuasions, as long as they are over 18 years of age and interested in progressive rock. My definition of progressive rock is very flexible, so please do not be put off if you only have experience with a few bands which fit loosely into this category. It starts with some quick, general questions about how you perceive and experience prog rock, and moves on to ask participants to describe, where possible, specific kinds of experience related to progressive rock and spirituality. It can be completed online via the link below and, all in all, should only take 15-20 minutes of your time. Your answers will be treated confidentially, but there is also the option to leave your email address in case you are willing to keep in touch and perhaps answer any more questions (this would be extremely helpful!). 

PhD Researcher: Kimberley Jane Anderson, University of St Andrews, [email protected]
Supervisor: Dr Gavin Hopps, University of St Andrews, [email protected]

standrewseu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cCuaeyS5pbWv7aB
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 12:09
Hi Kimberley,

I wish you luck - I was a post-doctoral researcher in Astrophysics at St Andrews in the late 70s. Wonderful place.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 13:05
H'm. What experimental evidence will you produce other than purely subjective anecdotal non-evidence? Some prog makes me cry or makes the hairs on my neck rise. None of it ever gives me an erection. However, every other sapiens who listens to prog will have differing experiences. Good luck with trying to herd those cats...

Edited by M27Barney - July 03 2018 at 13:07
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 13:39
Seeing Magma live in concert is the closest thing I've had to a religious experience in my entire life. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 13:49
What is the reason for the age limit? (I'm 16 2/3 years old)
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 15:29
Originally posted by austrianprogfan austrianprogfan wrote:

My guess is that this is an IRB (Institutional Review Board) requirement. It is much easier to get IRB approval from one's home institution to do human subject testing - surveying is considered human subject testing - on adults than it is on minors.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 16:02
I'm game--I always thought prog was like a religion for me---worked out well because I can practice my religion any time I want---because I'm not getting up early on Sunday and actually going to a church.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 16:29
Filled in the survey, good luck, feel free to reconnect.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 16:29
I will certainly take the survey. It is quite interesting to me the effects of a deep introspective experience while listening to music, and I’ve always thought of it as a close to the inner soul connection, enhancing my understanding of my own spiritual nature.
BillieJane View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:02
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Originally posted by austrianprogfan austrianprogfan wrote:

My guess is that this is an IRB (Institutional Review Board) requirement. It is much easier to get IRB approval from one's home institution to do human subject testing - surveying is considered human subject testing - on adults than it is on minors.

Yes, it’s an ethics matter. I have to enter these clauses to get approved... sorry about that, it seems nonsensical in our case. Thanks for the interest!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:21
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Hi Kimberley,

I wish you luck - I was a post-doctoral researcher in Astrophysics at St Andrews in the late 70s. Wonderful place.

Thanks so much! Small world... been here since undergrad. It is lovely. Did you see bands there? I know a few good ones were at the union at that time!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:22
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I'm game--I always thought prog was like a religion for me---worked out well because I can practice my religion any time I want---because I'm not getting up early on Sunday and actually going to a church.

Same here, often!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

H'm. What experimental evidence will you produce other than purely subjective anecdotal non-evidence? Some prog makes me cry or makes the hairs on my neck rise. None of it ever gives me an erection. However, every other sapiens who listens to prog will have differing experiences. Good luck with trying to herd those cats...

Not a lot in terms of neuroscience - not my field at all! Thankfully a lot can be said for anecdotal "empirical" evidence though, and I’ll be dipping into some phenomenology too for another chapter. You might say, the sorts of things I'm measuring are unavoidably subjective. Herding cats is a great metaphor which I might just steal... it’s clearly not the intention to distort people’s experiences into one big mush but to let the cats be cats, so to speak!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 18:27
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Seeing Magma live in concert is the closest thing I've had to a religious experience in my entire life. 

Interesting... I'm hearing so much about Magma today, giving them a first serious listen. What do you recommend as a starting point? Also heard that they are so different live from recorded.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 19:15
Done the survey! Good luck, Kimberly!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 19:29
Originally posted by BillieJane BillieJane wrote:

Interesting... I'm hearing so much about Magma today, giving them a first serious listen. What do you recommend as a starting point? Also heard that they are so different live from recorded.

I'd start with Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh for studio & Live/Hhai for live.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 20:12

It probably makes a difference between being there and listening to live recordings...at least I don't find them to be too much different live vs. studio (aside from arrangements and extended solos and things like that).

As for albums, MDK for studio and Opera De Reims for live. Ian's suggestion of Live/Hhai is good too, but Opera... is a step above IMO.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 22:12

Have to say what I always say when somebody´s asking recommendations about Magma. Their first s/t album (later Kobaia) is the one that hit me first, I think the reason was that and the second album are the only ones with so much woodwinds & brass. MDK is of course really great, but I´ve heard many say it´s very complicated album to start. Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie is really great live, but of course takes a lot time to listen it whole through. And I can´t say they´re so much different in live than in studio, I think they´re played their pieces lots live also in the studio, not used much backtracks.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 23:43

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252; font-family: Times; font-size: 11px;">Hello! My name is Kimberley Anderson and I’m a PhD student in Theology and the Arts at the University of St Andrews. My thesis explores how certain forms of progressive rock might be connected to spiritual or religious experience. To make my project as accurate as possible, I am gathering first-hand accounts of how listeners experience this music, and I would be delighted to hear from you if you have anything to say about this combination of ideas. This month I am running a survey that is open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs and persuasions, as long as they are over 18 years of age and interested in progressive rock. My definition of progressive rock is very flexible, so please do not be put off if you only have experience with a few bands which fit loosely into this category. It starts with some quick, general questions about how you perceive and experience prog rock, and moves on to ask participants to describe, where possible, specific kinds of experience related to progressive rock and spirituality. It can be completed online via the link below and, all in all, should only take 15-20 minutes of your time. Your answers will be treated confidentially, but there is also the option to leave your email address in case you are willing to keep in touch and perhaps answer any more questions (this would be extremely helpful!). </span><div =""="" style=": rgb248, 248, 252; text-size-adjust: auto; margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; font-family: Times; min-height: 13px;"><span =""=""></span><br =""=""><div =""="" style=": rgb248, 248, 252; text-size-adjust: auto; margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; font-family: Times;"><span =""="">PhD Researcher: Kimberley Jane Anderson, University of St Andrews, [email protected]</span><div =""="" style=": rgb248, 248, 252; text-size-adjust: auto; margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; font-family: Times;"><span =""="">Supervisor: Dr Gavin Hopps, University of St Andrews, [email protected]</span><div =""="" style=": rgb248, 248, 252; text-size-adjust: auto; margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; font-family: Times;"><span =""="">
</span><div =""="" style=": rgb248, 248, 252; text-size-adjust: auto; margin: 0px; font-stretch: normal; font-size: 11px; line-height: normal; font-family: Times;"><span =""="">standrewseu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cCuaeyS5pbWv7aB</span>
Are you interested in responses from people who don't recognise spirituality, e.g. physicalists?

Edited by Mascodagama - July 03 2018 at 23:43
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 00:10
As about spirituality & music, all the music (not just prog) has always been very spiritual thing to me (I use rather word spiritual than religious, because I have never felt any religion to be that kind that fits to me, shamanism is the closest). Even simple, dirty R´N´R moves me very deeply. It´s very rare I listen music as a background to some other thing. Also I have been in many gigs that has been very spiritual experiences to me, saw Magma last autumn, other spiritual gigs have been for example P J Harvey (the best gig I ever saw), Black Sabbath, the Stooges, Wigwam, Sielun Veljet, Fishbone, the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Lee Ranaldo Trio, John Fogerty, Jethro Tull, Pekka Pohjola Group, Procol Harum, Dr. John, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and also the latest Santana gig I just saw.

As soon as I have 20 minutes time to concentrate I am going to answer your questions in that link.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>