Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some of my favourite TV shows

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose any one or ones that you like (multiple choice enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [40.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some of my favourite TV shows
    Posted: July 05 2018 at 10:57
I'm focusing on "more modern" ones (and ones that were revived), and these are just the first to spring to mind and in no particular order. I think I'll do a second poll later, and maybe I should have just done dramas. Any recommendations based on any of these would be much appreciated. There are many more that I would like to include. I can do another poll, but it will get more obscure as well as have some big names (also like to hear about more non-English language ones, but I hope that they came out with subtitled in English versions). Real Humans was remade as Humans, but I have yet to watch much of the remake (if any of you have seen both, I'd be interested to her how they compare). Also Les Revenants was re-made, but I couldn't bring myself to watch it.

I'm guessing that Game of Thrones will get the most votes.

Edited by Logan - July 05 2018 at 11:12
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 14:14
I suspect Game of Thrones will run away with this but I gave my vote to Black Mirror.
Great show i'm not sure everyone knows about. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 14:50
More people should know Black Mirror as it’s a brilliant anthology series. I learned about it in the PA forum back in 2013 when looking for recommendations, and got totally hooked. Some of the episodes I’ve watched many times (such as White Bear). I was very happy when Netflix got the rights to it and continued with the show. Inside No. 9, a half hour per episode anthology series that has similarities to Black Mirror , but is more dark comedy, is less known, and Charlie Brooker has talked about how much he likes that show. For Charlie Brooker fans (the guy behind Black Mirror) Dead Set is a good zombies “mini-series”.

Edited by Logan - July 05 2018 at 14:52
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 16:11
GoT but I wish Doctor Who was on here
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 16:36
A couple of votes for Black Mirror and The Bridge. Just finished watching Season 4 - and quite sad it appears to be the end of this excellent series. I don't tend to watch as much TV as I used to, but over the last few years I've enjoyed House of Cards and especially Sons of Anarchy (although not listed). I'd recommend a BBC Wales detective series called Hinterland - which has a great sense of place and atmosphere in the wastelands of mid-Wales.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 16:42
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Well, I do love Doctor Who (my sig gives that way). I'm just a little nervous about how the Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker series will play out. Side-note: on the list, Chibnall was behind Broadchurch which stars David Tennant, and features Jodie Whittaker and other Who characters, and Whitakker was in the Black Mirror episode The Entire History of You. I'll probably do a second one. I made this poll which features Doctor Who some time back: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106740

I've been a Doctor Who fan since I was a kid, and have watched every episode of the revived series multiple times. My favourite classic Who episode might be Inferno (with Pertwee), and favourite NuWho episode would be Heaven Sent.

Recently I've been returning to some Tom Baker episodes. It is a shame, I had every new Who (save one special I think) episode recorded on my PVR, but I replaced it with a 4K box and so I only have the last series/season recorded since I tend to regularly re-watch them with my 14 yr old daughter.

Edited by Logan - July 05 2018 at 16:44
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 16:56
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

A couple of votes for Black Mirror and The Bridge. Just finished watching Season 4 - and quite sad it appears to be the end of this excellent series. I don't tend to watch as much TV as I used to, but over the last few years I've enjoyed House of Cards and especially Sons of Anarchy (although not listed). I'd recommend a BBC Wales detective series called Hinterland - which has a great sense of place and atmosphere in the wastelands of mid-Wales.

I don't watch much TV anymore, I do listen to lots of podcasts.   I adored the original House of Cards trilogy on BBC (have the DVD boxset). I've heard of Hinterland and have been meaning to look into it, thanks. I love atmosphere and I fancy moving to Wales...

Incidentally, not that I expect anyone to click on this, but since I am a fan of podcasts and feel like I owe it to them to spread the word, one regular podcast I listen to is Adam Buxton's (he played Tim "I got a spire in my head" Messenger, not to be confused with Tim "I got a smaller spire in my jaw" Dalton) in Hot Fuzz, which I re-watched yesterday as it just came to Netflix Canada. Where was I? Oh yeah, he did a podcast not long ago with Charlie Brooker: https://www.acast.com/adambuxton/ep.76-charliebrooker or http://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts I originally found Buxton's podcast when searching for Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith stuff: https://www.acast.com/adambuxton/ep.52-stevepemberton-reeceshearsmith
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 06:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Well, I do love Doctor Who (my sig gives that way). I'm just a little nervous about how the Chris Chibnall and Jodie Whittaker series will play out. Side-note: on the list, Chibnall was behind Broadchurch which stars David Tennant, and features Jodie Whittaker and other Who characters, and Whitakker was in the Black Mirror episode The Entire History of You. I'll probably do a second one. I made this poll which features Doctor Who some time back: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106740

I've been a Doctor Who fan since I was a kid, and have watched every episode of the revived series multiple times. My favourite classic Who episode might be Inferno (with Pertwee), and favourite NuWho episode would be Heaven Sent.

Recently I've been returning to some Tom Baker episodes. It is a shame, I had every new Who (save one special I think) episode recorded on my PVR, but I replaced it with a 4K box and so I only have the last series/season recorded since I tend to regularly re-watch them with my 14 yr old daughter.

I understand that. Capaldi was personally my favourite, because of how raw his character could become—his monologues were incredible—and it was a bit of a bummer seeing him go after only 3 seasons, especially knowing how much he loves the show. That being said, I'm keeping my hopes up; for some reason, I just have a really good feeling about Jodie playing the Doctor. Who knows why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I guess we'll see soon.

Favourite episodes? Of NuWho, probably The End of Time, The Day of the Doctor, and Heaven Sent, among others.

Edited by tempest_77 - July 07 2018 at 06:50
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 09:22

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I understand that. Capaldi was personally my favourite, because of how raw his character could become—his monologues were incredible—and it was a bit of a bummer seeing him go after only 3 seasons, especially knowing how much he loves the show. That being said, I'm keeping my hopes up; for some reason, I just have a really good feeling about Jodie playing the Doctor. Who knows why <span style="font-family: Helvetica;">¯\_(ツ)_/¯</span>. I guess we'll see soon.

Favourite episodes? Of NuWho, probably The End of Time, The Day of the Doctor, and Heaven Sent, among others.

Those other episodes would be on my top list too. Really love The End of Time -- not everyone does. Total agreement about Capaldi, very well put. I was excited about him joining because I loved his character in the Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood -- John Frobisher in series 3's Children of Earth. He was my favourite in all of Torchwood, and that series/season was my favourite of that show. If you havent seen it, it can be very dark and depressing. I also loved his Malcolm Tucker character in the Thick of It. Capaldi has real gravitas. He can be gruff and really sensitive, and what delivery! I'm very sorry to see him go, and I'm sorry to see Stephen Moffat go. I am still excited about the Chris Chibnall/Jodie Whittaker Doctor Who. I've certainly liked every Doctor, and I think it'll mostly depend on the writing and direction, but also on how I feel about the companions. While I had been really wanting a "solo" outing from Capaldi, and the dark Heaven Sent is just what the Doctor ordered, and the kind of thing I'd been hoping for, I really liked the Bill and Nardole plus Missy dynamic opposite Capaldi, I was concerned when I found out that the new Doctor would have three companions. Seems Chibnall wants to be really representative and inclusive by doing this plus having a female Doctor, and I hope it works out. Since I expect Chibnall wants to make political messages (from reading interviews), I will be interested to see if identity politics becomes more important to Doctor Who. I'm hoping for strong plots, nuanced characters, and some really interesting story arcs, and will be interested to see how the politics of the day and changing cultural attitudes finds its way into the show (even if more implicit than explicit).

Edited by Logan - July 07 2018 at 09:25
 Post Reply Post Reply