Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - intense. emotionally, vocally progressive stuff.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

intense. emotionally, vocally progressive stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 11:46
Originally posted by GorgonZ GorgonZ wrote:

hey i'm new and stuff. this is a suggest me music thread. so yeah. i had enough instrumentally progressive stuff. you know, you are a guitar guy you play it progressively. you make the guitar cry or whatever. i don't want that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GgkrOp9Xwo

all kinds of genres thrown into one song. there are melancholic parts, there are energetic parts also etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbC7q2zD0rE

in this one i like vocals very, very much. she is so intense and she kinda force her voice to the limit progressively.

so the theme is unique ways of being progressive. the more obscure the sh*t you suggest the better. suggest me something and tell me how do you think they are being progressively progressive. if you know what i mean. if stupid, don't answer. just kidding or am i?

thanks in advance.

Madder Mortem I hadn't heard before, but will have to check out more, sounds great...

as for Akphaezya, I am very familiar with them. They're part of that whole 'weird french metal' scene that is so good these days. A band I associate closely with them is Pin-Up Went Down, who's first album (2unlimited) I think meets your criteria. Two vocalists with very different voices that do a lot of interesting things, Asphodel in particular bends her voice in a lot of interesting ways. Check out this track:

She starts off singing in a more innocent, childish way, but halfway changes her tone to a more operatic style before returning back to the childish.

From the french scene, you might also like the work of Laure le Prunenec (aka Ricinn), her solo album is one of my all time favs but I think the best introduction to her vocals may be her work in the Corpo Mente album she did. This song in particular:

Speaking of her, that band is the much-calmer project of Igorrr, which features Ricinn and also Oxxo Xoox, really intense vocalists both:

Edited by TheGazzardian - July 06 2018 at 11:47
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 11:51
How about some Chrome Hoof? Seems to fit the bit. Metal, zeuhl, electronic, pop, symph, avant and disco. Chrome Black Gold: https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/chrome-black-gold
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 12:06
I would love to post some stuff of the Bald Angels here, but you will have to wait until our new album is recorded

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 14:20
SubRosa came to my mind, but maybe it doesn't fit the bill well enough (I did listen to the tracks posted -- liked the In the Woods one considerably).

Edited by Logan - July 06 2018 at 14:21
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
GorgonZ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorgonZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 07:49
most of the suggestions so far (listened first page) straight up instrumentally, melodically progressive. prog rock is not one my favorite genres because it lacks emotion. it tends to be too chaotic and thus neutral. i want suffering. i want hysteria. psychedelic influenced stuff has little to do with this, imo. it's like, these are musicians who get high and make music. the mood in these songs is generally happiness which is not intense, which do not excite me.

try this and skip to 2:30 if you are in a hurry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWamw5w4HU (i normally hate nu metal and i don't like otep in general too, but this song and another, i think it was called jonestown tea or something which is really f**ked up, finds some spot in me which is never used normally because i'm a hardcore thinker who ignore feelings)

i want the musical version of baudelaire, rimbaud, lautreamont and poe maybe, though he is a bit too romantic but hey.

another thing even if it is a bit too late to say: i need female vocals. %90 of the sh*t i listen female vocals and for me to like a male vocal, it takes someone like nick cave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSl4KX7zBTQ

note1: i know pin-up went down and igorrr and the similar artists in the same tag cloud.

note2: i don't mind if you spam more suggestions and thanks again!
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 07:53
So I have a few more ideas of things that maybe are for you ... I'll avoid the french scene since you know it already. I will say, I also prefer female vocalists and love Nick Cave, so we have a bit in common ... hopefully some of this stuff lands for you :)

First suggestion is Joanna Newsom, specifically her album Ys. My favorite song from it is below:

Her voice is hit or miss for some, but very interesting imo. This album has Van Dyke Parks on it, so it's a bit of a mish mash of folk and classical / orchestral music. Not quite as genre-mixing-heavy as some of the other stuff in this thread, but very emotional (especially towards the climax it builds to at the end).

This next one also maybe dodges the genre aspect of what you are looking for, but I think is an obligatory recommendation for anyone into Nick Cave, and that's the work of a man named Munly, specifically I think his album with the Lee Lewis Harlots is outstanding. Very dark material, this one I think is more vocally intensive but in terms of darkness of content, nothing beats 'Goose Walking Over My Grave' (and it has a female accompaniment), so if you like this, I'd check that out as well:

This may be a bit out of left field but came to my mind reading your post, would be some of the work of Amanda Palmer. In particularly, some of her work with the Dresden Dolls came to mind:

But Evelyn, Evelyn a concept album she did about siamese twins with a tragic life may also check off some items on your list:

Let me know if any of this is close to what you are looking for.

Edited by TheGazzardian - July 09 2018 at 07:53
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 12:12
you should have mentioned you mean "screaming"; "emotionally intense" does in my opinion not necessarily equal "screaming".

I assume your native tongue is French since you mention some of les pòetes maudits. I do however not believe the musical equivalent of them is screaming (that would be very superficial); even of Lautréamont there are only very few passages I would associate with screaming (for example the one starting with "Voici la folle qui passe en dansant, tandis qu’elle se rappelle vaguement quelque chose"; English translation "Here comes the madwoman dancing by while she vaguely remembers something").

but you want screaming, and you will get it. listen to this; the screaming starts around 3:50:

Edited by BaldJean - July 10 2018 at 02:34

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 14:46
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 01:25
Sounds like the guys ear can’t hear anything but the guitar in prog, which is strange because usually the guitar is almost never progressive compared to the rhythm section... Stupid posts get stupid answers.
Minus the h.
GorgonZ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorgonZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 14:22
logan: they definitely fit the bill! thank you! pretty in the woods like indeed.

TheH: that wasn't so bad, i'm intrigued to listen more from them. i am a total noob when it comes to asian rock scene so throw some more names if you are into that sh*t.

jean: i like emotionally charged vocals. i said i want suffering, i said i want hysteria and you quickly reduced that to screaming. if an emotion is intense, if it is so powerful you will express those feelings with screams. you are being a bit too categorical.

thegazzardian: i listened joanna newsom a few times as i keep seeing her name in the similar artists lists in last.fm etc. but i never liked her. now after your suggestion i'm thinking maybe her music is too anti-catchy? maybe you gotta listen to her stuff a few times to get used to it? idk. i will give her another try. the second suggestion is also intresting so thank you but amanda palmer and dresden dolls and cabaret-influenced wierdo stuff i'm pretty familar with.

edit: chrome hoof is very interesting. checking them out too!

Edited by GorgonZ - July 10 2018 at 14:47
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 02:20

jean: i like emotionally charged vocals. i said i want suffering, i said i want hysteria and you quickly reduced that to screaming. if an emotion is intense, if it is so powerful you will express those feelings with screams. you are being a bit too categorical.

you misunderstood me. I already mentioned that in my opinion very little of Lautréamont requires screams.

but I disagree with you: no, you will not necessarily express your emotions with screaming. best example:

this song is brimming with sadness, which is definitely an emotion; the line "when there's that little figure running - won't somebody help me" moves me to tears.

or another example of the same band:

again a very sad song

and how about positive emotions like happiness? would you scream for that? well, maybe when you win in the lottery. but let us hear a song about happiness and take another lesson from the master of emotional singing:

but of course Peter Hammill can scream in anger too. first this song where sadness slowly turns into anger:

and then this extremely angry song from the first solo album of Robert Fripp, on which Peter Hammill also sings:

but the in my opinion most emotional song of him is a sad one, "This Side of the Looking Glass", especially in this live version. this is sadness in its most extreme form:

I hope you understand my point of view better now

Edited by BaldJean - July 11 2018 at 02:53

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 06:13
I wanted to post a video of a song from Evereve's debut album Seasons (1996). But Evereve are not here on PA, don't know if they've ever been suggested. I dare say their first two albums are quite progressive IMO and the vocal delivery fits your criteria. :)

Edited by Cristi - July 11 2018 at 06:13
GorgonZ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorgonZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 08:36
jean: if it was possible to convert a poem to sonic vibrations, lautreamont's stuff would be the most screamy sh*t ever. who is more intense than lautreamont? who is who is more explosive? who is more crazy? who is more ruthless? who would burn this world and then the heavens and then the seven hells if not lautreamont? even if you show me someone more intense than him that doesn't change anything as he will be the second crazily most intense.

sure, you can express intense feelings in other ways too but screaming is definitely one of those ways. lautreamont won't tell you he is hurt. lautreamont won't tell you he missed you or he feels lonely or anything "emo" like that. instead, he will f**k sh*t up. you can psychoanalyze him and tell me all his crazy comes from sensitivity and i'd accept that no problem, you can't write good stuff without sensitivity but lautreamont expresses himself with explosions and screams are very useful there.

i don't believe in astrology but you can say my taste in music is a bit scorpionic with rising aquarius for the crazy. you on the other hand suggesting me leo (when happy) or cancer (when emotional) like things. your suggestions are either too wet or too dry. in the first song you posted i guess there are intense feelings in the lyrics but the music hardly in the same frequency. i need a bit anger injected in all emotions. i feel like a bit anger makes things much more real. you know, lautreamont was a symbolist and surrealist. instead of crying he would make you cry. instead of saying how hopeless he is, he would say how hopeless is humanity.

i like the sadness in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5uObEmetFc

i think screams make things more abstract and symbolic. but if you really have to tell me about your feelings and how bad do you feel, directly, openly... then do it like the vocalist of freaking otep (specifically in that song titled emtee) or young tori amos (blood roses). then i begin to think you are being so extremely transparent, it's not cringy anymore. it feels like, sh*t, this gal has a pair of giant emotional balls.

i understood you. hopefully you will understand me too.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 09:13
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

but I disagree with you: no, you will not necessarily express your emotions with screaming
I totally agree with Jean. Intense emotion does not require screaming at all. This song is emotionally intent from start to beginning, with lots of screaming. But the most emotionally intense moments are in a whisper!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 10:42
I gather you already know of Chelsea Wolfe but in case you don't: https://chelseawolfe.bandcamp.com/album/hiss-spun
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:41
I am afraid the instrumental parts in these tracks will be too long for you, but the vocal parts should be right up your alley:

Edited by BaldFriede - July 11 2018 at 12:24

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 13:21

jean: if it was possible to convert a poem to sonic vibrations, lautreamont's stuff would be the most screamy sh*t ever. who is more intense than lautreamont? who is who is more explosive? who is more crazy? who is more ruthless? who would burn this world and then the heavens and then the seven hells if not lautreamont? even if you show me someone more intense than him that doesn't change anything as he will be the second crazily most intense.

sure, you can express intense feelings in other ways too but screaming is definitely one of those ways. lautreamont won't tell you he is hurt. lautreamont won't tell you he missed you or he feels lonely or anything "emo" like that. instead, he will f**k sh*t up. you can psychoanalyze him and tell me all his crazy comes from sensitivity and i'd accept that no problem, you can't write good stuff without sensitivity but lautreamont expresses himself with explosions and screams are very useful there.

i don't believe in astrology but you can say my taste in music is a bit scorpionic with rising aquarius for the crazy. you on the other hand suggesting me leo (when happy) or cancer (when emotional) like things. your suggestions are either too wet or too dry. in the first song you posted i guess there are intense feelings in the lyrics but the music hardly in the same frequency. i need a bit anger injected in all emotions. i feel like a bit anger makes things much more real. you know, lautreamont was a symbolist and surrealist. instead of crying he would make you cry. instead of saying how hopeless he is, he would say how hopeless is humanity.

i like the sadness in this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5uObEmetFc

i think screams make things more abstract and symbolic. but if you really have to tell me about your feelings and how bad do you feel, directly, openly... then do it I  like the vocalist of freaking otep (specifically in that song titled emtee) or young tori amos (blood roses). then i begin to think you are being so extremely transparent, it's not cringy anymore. it feels like, sh*t, this gal has a pair of giant emotional balls.

hi understood you. hopefully you will understand me too.

you actually made me laugh because what I offered you was pure Scorpio. Peter Hammill is a Scorpio (born Nov 5th 1948).

as I already mentioned I don't agree with your impression of Lautréamont. some of his "Maldoror" is screamy, yes, but there are most definitely passages which are not screamy at all. once again: intensity does not equal screaming, as you rightly mentioned.

screams make in my opinion things no more abstract than some other kinds of singing, like for example throat singing (example here

or vocalise (in the sense of classical music; example here

).

throat singing, by the way, is the only way in which you can sing more than one note at a time.

Lautréamont was by the way actually not a surrealist (though he did of course become an iconic figure for the surrealists), just as Hieronymus Bosch wasn't one. it does in my opinion historically make no sense to call anything that was before the surrealist movement "surrealistic" (I have a degree in history, that's why I have a way of looking at things from an historic viewpoint). but he was definitely a symbolist.

as I already said: I don't agree with you about Lautréamont. some passages of his are definitely screamy, but others are also most definitely not. and I love Lautréamont just as much as you do; I just have a different view of him. but all of Lautréamont is weird, that's for certain.

to stay in the astrological idiom: my taste in music is sagittarily with a shot of Aquarius: open-minded (Sagittarians are explorers) with a special liking for the weird (my wife BaldFriede is the other way round, by the way; she is Aquarian with a shot of Sagittarius. she most definitely has a liking for anything weird but is open for other things as well. we two are an excellent match because of this)

Edited by BaldJean - July 11 2018 at 13:40

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 16:26
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 16:33
oh yeah....  first one that jumps to mind.  For good reason..

The greatest of all...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 05:51
in this concert of Nina Hagen there are lots of examples of the kind of voice you want to hear:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>