Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annie Haslam Artwork

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annie Haslam Artwork
    Posted: July 06 2018 at 08:54
There's a small town called New Hope, just North of Philly on the Delaware river.  It's a quaint little town of shops, restaurants, B&B's, and art galleries.

My wife and I were strolling past a shop called Celt-Iberia Traders when I noticed a sign out front "Featuring the artwork of Annie Haslam".

Curious, I asked the proprietor if this was the same Annie Haslam, lead singer for Rennaissance.  Yes indeed it was!  He took me upstairs to the gallery where there were a dozen or so original paintings on display and for sale.  He explained that this was the only studio where she sells her work.  Apparently she lives nearby.

I ended up buying a piece called "King Midas", with an obvious nod to her song "Midas Man" on the Novella album.  It is acrylic on a 9x12 canvas, signed on the back by Annie.

We almost had an opportunity to meet her, as she often pops into the shop somewhat irregularly, but we were next door watching "42 Street" at the Bucks County Playhouse.  Sadly we missed her.  But I get to go home with a fantastic piece of art of hers that I will display proudly and cherish forever.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 09:10
A nice story - I like the canvas - it would grace any prog album cover.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 09:27
She uses her artwork for her latest album cover, still in pre-release.  The proprietor of the store showed me a copy that she gave him.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 10:38
That's cool!. I didn't realize she painted. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:04
So Annie and Carl Palmer (he exhibits his work!) . Others?!
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 08:00
Jeffrey Hammond, guitarist for Jethro Tull is a painter...

http://www.lancashirelife.co.uk/people/jethro-tull-guitarist-jeffrey-hammond-1-5236597
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 08:05
As a Ren fan, I have known for a long time that she is a painter.  She herself mentions this fact every time in interviews etc.  She also paints guitars.  Somebody on youtube mentioned attending a craft show at Bucks County (where she has been living since the 90s) and encountering her.  I will just reproduce the comment verbatim because it is an interesting read:

"Two summers ago, attending the craft show at Tyler State Park in Bucks County, PA, I strolled through the rows of craftspeople and their wares. At the last row, last stall was a woman selling her hand-painted/fired ceramic tiles.  She was about 5'2', dressed in white, probably in her early 60's. I said, "hello" and began to look at the tiles.  Eventually, I saw her name on the banner pinned to the back of her stall, "Annie Haslam [painted tiles]".  "That's really funny", I thought, "that's the same name as the lead singer for Renaissance."  Then I noticed a standing ad she had for an upcoming concert with her appearing.  With Renaissance.  WTF??? Yes, it was Annie, who lives in the area.  As I realized this another guy, standing there with his jaw open, turned to me and mouthed, "I know, Annie Haslam!" Nobody else seemed to be aware of her.  I was gobsmacked."  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 10:21
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

As a Ren fan, I have known for a long time that she is a painter.  She herself mentions this fact every time in interviews etc.  She also paints guitars.  Somebody on youtube mentioned attending a craft show at Bucks County (where she has been living since the 90s) and encountering her.  I will just reproduce the comment verbatim because it is an interesting read:

"Two summers ago, attending the craft show at Tyler State Park in Bucks County, PA, I strolled through the rows of craftspeople and their wares. At the last row, last stall was a woman selling her hand-painted/fired ceramic tiles.  She was about 5'2', dressed in white, probably in her early 60's. I said, "hello" and began to look at the tiles.  Eventually, I saw her name on the banner pinned to the back of her stall, "Annie Haslam [painted tiles]".  "That's really funny", I thought, "that's the same name as the lead singer for Renaissance."  Then I noticed a standing ad she had for an upcoming concert with her appearing.  With Renaissance.  WTF??? Yes, it was Annie, who lives in the area.  As I realized this another guy, standing there with his jaw open, turned to me and mouthed, "I know, Annie Haslam!" Nobody else seemed to be aware of her.  I was gobsmacked."  
Unfortunately, I feel that Annie's art work is more financially viable than her music career. Sad.

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2018 at 10:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 17:26
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

There's a small town called New Hope, just North of Philly on the Delaware river.  It's a quaint little town of shops, restaurants, B&B's, and art galleries.

My wife and I were strolling past a shop called Celt-Iberia Traders when I noticed a sign out front "Featuring the artwork of Annie Haslam".

Curious, I asked the proprietor if this was the same Annie Haslam, lead singer for Rennaissance.  Yes indeed it was!  He took me upstairs to the gallery where there were a dozen or so original paintings on display and for sale.  He explained that this was the only studio where she sells her work.  Apparently she lives nearby.

I ended up buying a piece called "King Midas", with an obvious nod to her song "Midas Man" on the Novella album.  It is acrylic on a 9x12 canvas, signed on the back by Annie.

We almost had an opportunity to meet her, as she often pops into the shop somewhat irregularly, but we were next door watching "42 Street" at the Bucks County Playhouse.  Sadly we missed her.  But I get to go home with a fantastic piece of art of hers that I will display proudly and cherish forever.

I think her artwork is interesting. I don't love it to pieces but I don't hate it either. I think she's good but it's just not my favorite style. The colors in that piece above are outstanding though. 

I actually met her in New Hope. Not sure if it was the same place but it could have been. I got my picture taken with her too. I didn't talk to her for a really long time maybe just a few minutes. She seemed pleasant enough though. This was maybe ten years ago or so. I actually live in the general area and can attest that yes she does live in the area also. She even showed up one year at Nearfest as a guest artist(which was after I met her in New Hope)but I didn't get a chance to talk to her then.

Anyway, as a side note I also get the feeling that she knows Peter Hammill. At a nearby nature center I remember seeing the names Peter Hammill and Annie Haslam in the guest book. I don't believe they have collaborated but I'm pretty sure they know each other and are friends.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 22:24
@SteveG
Yeah, from reading about that anecdote, I felt that maybe she uses her artwork to finance and promote her music.  Cry I am not an 'art' person so while the colours she uses do look very pretty, they don't speak to me.  So maybe my evaluation is biased but I am not sure she is as talented at painting as she is at singing and yet it's easier for her to make money from the former.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 22:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Anyway, as a side note I also get the feeling that she knows Peter Hammill. At a nearby nature center I remember seeing the names Peter Hammill and Annie Haslam in the guest book. I don't believe they have collaborated but I'm pretty sure they know each other and are friends.  

She seems to know most of the big names of 70s prog quite well, has performed alongside Hackett and Curved Air, has provided guest vocals for Wetton, even Caravan when they did a re-release of an old track and Ian Anderson played flute on one of the tracks of Grandine Il Vento.  And usually has positive things to say about other singers/musicians.  The only one she ever publicly sl*g.ed off, Graham Fellows, became news though.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 07:57
The artwork of hers vaguely reminds me of the cover to Jasper Wrath's eponymous album.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 14:33
her art doesn't speak to me either, though I agree the colours are striking.  With visual art, unlike music, I either get it or I don't, and I usually don't.  There are not as many shades of grey if you will, as there are with music.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 04:11
^ I don't dig her art work, either. But my first impression of the painting supplied by the OP is one of chaos or confusion. Striking colors but far from soothing. Lol!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AKDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 07:49
Tough crowd, I think that painting is excellent!
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 09:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

So Annie and Carl Palmer (he exhibits his work!) . Others?!
does George W. Bush count?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 14:50

Miles Davis by Joni Mitchell for your pleasure (MD did like the portrait she made)

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 15:29
I live in the same general area as Annie. In fact I saw she was doing an art exhibit in New Hope back about maybe 10-12 years ago so I drove over and went in and met her. Someone took some pictures of she and I which I still have. I only spoke to her for a couple of minutes or so but she seemed nice. 

To be honest I'm not a super huge fan of her visual art but I think she's very good at what she does. Her artwork is sort of new agey I guess you could say. That one in the first post here is pretty good though. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 09:39
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Miles Davis by Joni Mitchell for your pleasure (MD did like the portrait she made)

Interesting portrait!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 10:34
3 stars from me, good but not essential. I really like it, I've seen much worse, and I could actually imagine having this in my place, if only if it was cheap (but then I don't pay much for any artwork).

Edited by Lewian - July 11 2019 at 10:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>