Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Dogma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 09:25
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Any song under 20 minutes isn't really prog.

Related to that: Any song under 5 minutes can't be a good prog song.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 09:58
[Prog fans are intelligent]

As a general blanket statement no. However, in my experience many seem to be either college educated or in fields which require some degree of intelligence or thinking(ie computers, science, teachers etc). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 12 2018 at 14:51
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 10:58
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Prog fans are intelligent

If there's anyone who has spent significant time reading the PA forum and still believes this one then they are living proof of its untruth.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 11 2018 at 10:58
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:01
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Even those prog fans who are poor or working class aren't necessarily dumb. 
I don't believe there is any correlation whatsoever between being poor or working class and being dumb.
Bandcamp Profile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Prog rock began with King Crimson in 1969. Prior to that, the musical universe was a primordial soup that did not coalesce until Robert Fripp made order out of the nothingness.

I was a prog fan (we were using the word prog in Cambridge in 1967) before King Crimson released their first album, so that is blatantly a false premise. It just amazes me how many people think it's right.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:38
Proper Genesis orthodoxy is that it's not Genesis after Hackett left. 

Also, be it dogma or not, I accept the case that Court of the Crimson King was the first prog album. Please don't ask me what happens if you don't accept that--because that's simple: we disagree. 
-John
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 11:46
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I was a prog fan (we were using the word prog in Cambridge in 1967) before King Crimson released their first album, so that is blatantly a false premise. It just amazes me how many people think it's right.
That is a very interesting fact, and counters what seems to me to be a fairly widely-held belief that the term ‘prog’ only became current later.
Bandcamp Profile
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 18:03

No good prog came out after 1978.
^^You beat me to sharing my least 2 favorite Prog Rock axioms right here. 

If this is your opinion, then that's fine, but Progressive Rock wasn't meant to always remain the same as it was in 1978 and before.  Progressive Rock just.........progressed.  Some people progressed with it and some didn't.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 18:16

Prog rock began with King Crimson in 1969. Prior to that, the musical universe was a primordial soup that did not coalesce until Robert Fripp made order out of the nothingness.
I was a prog fan (we were using the word prog in Cambridge in 1967) before King Crimson released their first album, so that is blatantly a false premise. It just amazes me how many people think it's right

Agreed--  in fact progressive rock developed in stages and though KC's first was among a tiny handful of fully realized prog, I would cite the first two Nice albums if I had to pick, both released well before the Crimson debut.   1967's Procol Harum also a contender.

But I'm pretty sure DarkElf was being facetious (or maybe frippant) .

Edited by Atavachron - July 11 2018 at 21:59
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 18:25

The premise of the thread is "Share your favorite least-favorite apparent prog rock dogmatic axiom", not "share your own personal belief." 

But there is a large group of people that believe that prog sprang, fully-formed, from Robert Fripp's brain, like Minerva rising fully armored from Zeus's head.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 18:28
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

But I'm pretty sure DarkElf was being facetious (or maybe frippant) .

"Frippant" is a wonderful bit of portmanteau. Almost Joycean! LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 20:15

I wonder if this was a joke that peter Cook forgot to add to the original "Bedazzled" ... it just seems to fit the script so well! Where is ... what's his name ... Drimble Wedge or something like it, when we need it?

Confused
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 22:25
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I don't believe there is any correlation whatsoever between being poor or working class and being dumb.

Agreed. It clearly isn't necessary to be poor or working class to say some pretty dumb things
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 00:09
Prog is music about hobbits, dragons, wizards and elves.  

Really, it is.  Trust me. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 02:23
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

No good prog came out after 1978.
^^You beat me to sharing my least 2 favorite Prog Rock axioms right here. 

If this is your opinion, then that's fine, but Progressive Rock wasn't meant to always remain the same as it was in 1978 and before.  Progressive Rock just.........progressed.  Some people progressed with it and some didn't.

This x100. Some of the least progressive minded people happen to be prog rock fans (not stating a correlation here, just personal experience) - heck, MOST die hard fans of any genre of music tend to be pretty dense - and it becomes painfully obvious when you talk to them in depth for more than five minutes. 

They are obsessed with timelines, details, and demarcations of style over actual creativity and expression. This is usually understandable in 99% of genres - but attempting to confine PROGRESSIVE music? Please.

Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

Proper Genesis orthodoxy is that it's not Genesis after Hackett left. 

Also, be it dogma or not, I accept the case that Court of the Crimson King was the first prog album. Please don't ask me what happens if you don't accept that--because that's simple: we disagree. 

I said the same thing regarding ABACAB in another thread. I politely stated we simply disagree. That's not enough for some people.

They don't like being reminded Rutherford was a founding member, either.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - July 12 2018 at 04:33

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 09:49
I know I'm not supposed to but...

...I agree with most of these.

Okay, I'll try one:

Record companies were to blame for the (so-called) death of Prog.
(As if Atlantic would have turned down Close To The Edge - The Sequel in 1978. They wouldn't have!)

Edited by miamiscot - July 12 2018 at 09:49
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 13:57
"certain instruments are being shunned by prog bands"

...wait
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 14:19
Prog rock has to be "progressive".

Seriously, that's like saying "It's not shoegazing if they're not gazing at their shoes". Prog progressed from the popular music of the 60s, but that does not mean it constantly has to move forward.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 14:49
'Prog forums tend to have silly topics'.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 14:52
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

With respect to that statement I deleted the last sentence in my reply. I do believe there is evidence to suggest there is at least some correlation but I deleted it anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>