Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Random Peter Hammill Tunes

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.76%]
1 [5.88%]
7 [41.18%]
2 [11.76%]
2 [11.76%]
2 [11.76%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random Peter Hammill Tunes
    Posted: July 10 2018 at 21:27
Just a cluster of random hammill tunes, wanted to see how they stacked up in a poll against each other.
My vote goes to Louse just barely over magog and flight, but all these songs are amazing.
The most dangerous man in America.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 22:18
All amazing indeed, great list.

From the hundreds of songs the man released over the years, Vision is still my #1 favorite.

1. Vision
2. Patient
3. Flight
4. Louse
5. This Side
6. Black Room
7. Magog
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 06:48
Very good selection, all well worth revisiting. Eventually I go for the great great Patient from my favourite album of Hammill, followed by Black Room and Magog, then Vision and Flight (I love Flight as a composition but am not so keen on the production and Hammill's own drumming). I'm not so much in the mood today for the Looking Glass and somehow the Silent Corner album doesn't score as high for me as for many others (I think Hammill has just better melodies elsewhere), but both are still strong, so great poll!

Edited by Lewian - July 11 2018 at 06:49
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 06:54
Flight.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 13:46
"This Side of the Looking Glass" is perhaps Hammill's most personal song; that's why my vote goes there

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 14:10
Tough call between Magog and Louse. 

I'll go with the latter, but only just. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2018 at 14:27
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"This Side of the Looking Glass" is perhaps Hammill's most personal song; that's why my vote goes there
Its fantastic just like most, if not all of these. But I couldn't not vote for the only song without a vote Black Room/Tower as I can't really choose one over the others anyway. And its wondrous.

Louse is a total prog-masterpiece of course but doing well without any help from me.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 01:01
Louse - Gog - Black Room - Flight - Patient....then the others. Very seldom is there a song ftom the man I don’t like in some way.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 11:47
The song that popped into my head, before I even saw the options, was 'Vision'. 
That was based on the assumption that because you used the word 'tunes'  you were after melodies with hooks.

Post Reply Post Reply