Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Close Encounter of the Third Kind or E.T. the Ex
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Close Encounter of the Third Kind or E.T. the Ex

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these two Spieberg films do you like the most
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [80.00%]
3 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close Encounter of the Third Kind or E.T. the Ex
    Posted: July 12 2018 at 16:57
Two historicly significant movies whom both become landmark movies. According to a BBC docu on Sci-Fi movies tell they sort of are related. So pick your favourite.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 02:06
Close encounters by a long way. Not a huge fan of Spielberg tbh. Most of his films are over funded, well packaged bullsh*t IMO.

Edited by Blacksword - July 13 2018 at 02:08
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 22:40
I like ET, saw it in the cinema, but I really like Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I'm not that big on Spielberg either, but Close Encounters really works for me).
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 05:09
 Close Encounters of the Third Kind for me 
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 12:03
Close Encounter of the Third Kind
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 12:27
CEOT3K. (It has a guy playing a Korg synth!)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 14:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I like ET, saw it in the cinema, but I really like Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I'm not that big on Spielberg either, but Close Encounters really works for me).
is it becouse it is a early film of hes soo he has of yet modified hes directing chops, more the nerdy and inexperienced Spieberg.

How is it ranked alongside other 70s sci-fi films?

Edited by Icarium - July 15 2018 at 14:59
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 15:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

CEOT3K. (It has a guy playing a Korg synth!)
have you heard the tuba/basoon solo in the film score?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 15:44
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

is it becouse it is a early film of hes soo he has of yet modified hes directing chops, more the nerdy and inexperienced Spieberg.

Depends upon who is ranking it, but I'm quite confident that it generally ranks well against others from the era according to many sources, including me. Maybe there is something less polished about it, but why I like is so much is because it evokes a sense of awe in wonder in me. I do think that ET is a lovely film, by the way (has humour and can be very moving, rather like Stranger Things which pays some homage to it). George Lucas is a Spielberg-related directed who for my tastes made his best film (SF) as write/director, that I know of, with THX 1138, which was his first as writer and director (based on his student film)
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 16:28
I grew up and was obsessed with E.T. The Extra Terrestrial.
But I can't watch it now as I can Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.
If only I could be interested enough to see what films are happening now!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 09:55

Depends upon who is ranking it, but I'm quite confident that it generally ranks well against others from the era according to many sources, including me. Maybe there is something less polished about it, but why I like is so much is because it evokes a sense of awe in wonder in me. I do think that ET is a lovely film, by the way (has humour and can be very moving, rather like Stranger Things which pays some homage to it). George Lucas is a Spielberg-related directed who for my tastes made his best film (SF) as write/director, that I know of, with THX 1138, which was his first as writer and director (based on his student film)
I believe that George Lucas film inspired David Paich to write the Toto song 99
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 10:45

I believe that George Lucas film inspired David Paich to write the Toto song 99

Had to look it up to remember it, but yes, and you can see the stylistic similarities to it in the music video. It would have been more obvious had the song been called LUH 3417 or 3417 instead of 99. ;)

LUH 3417
I've been waiting so long
Oh, LUH 3417
Where did we go wrong
Oh, LUH 3417
I love you
I can't take it no more
Oh, LUH 3417
Oh we were so sure
Oh, LUH 3417
I love you

Incidentally, the only Toto album I own is the soundtrack to David Lynch's sci-fi film, Dune (an 80s film many dismiss but I really like). I could get Toto being into sci-fi and fantasy: "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

Edited by Logan - July 17 2018 at 10:47
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 11:07
ET was for kids/teens, enjoyable movie. Close Encounters was more immersive a much more believable storyline with better special effects. I can watch that movie anytime......
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2018 at 23:23
Hi,

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS needs to be reissued in its entirety. There were too many versions of it, and though it made the film considerably longer, it also made it way better than the theatrical version that is available on DVD, for example. By the time that it gets added up, I think that it was almost 30 minutes longer and I got to see it on a preview, and folks were already squirmy on their seats before things even got to the last 25 minutes or so. 

As it is shown nowadays, it is cut up way too much for me and its valuable strength is lost. And the cuts are very cold and change the direction of the story too quickly.

In this sense, ET is a much better film, and a lot more fun to watch.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2018 at 13:26
Close Encounters...........(ET was a nice film but seemed more of a kid thing.)
I have been interested in the UFO enigma for a very long time...I corresponded by e-mail with Dr Vallee back in  2000. And around 1982 I spoke to Dr Hynek on the phone (about the ufo enigma) when I called CUFOS to subscribe to their publication (he answered the phone). As some might know he was the older looking professor with glasses and beard  holding a pipe toward the end of the film who was watching the aliens when the ship landed. Hynek and Vallee were both consultants to Spielberg for the film's ufo background info.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply