Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wimbledon 2018 women's final Kerber vs Williams
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wimbledon 2018 women's final Kerber vs Williams

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who will win?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wimbledon 2018 women's final Kerber vs Williams
    Posted: July 13 2018 at 05:42
Serena Williams appears to be back, but to be honest her opponents have been pushovers so far. But Kerber is definitely also back after her disappointing 2017.

so who will make it? Serena definitely has the biggest serve on the tour, but Kerber has in my opinion the best return.

my prediction is Kerber will win in 3 sets, and it will be a high quality match

Edited by BaldJean - July 13 2018 at 06:22

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 08:55
Leaning Williams in 2 but if it goes to a third, Kerber takes it. Grass gives a massive advantage to the player with the bigger serve. And Serena hits the biggest serve of all on the women's aide.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 16:03
and here comes Micky.. thus completing the classic group of 3 that consists of tennis fans here at PA's.

oh I hope Angie wins it...  long I have dreamed of being the filling of a Angie-Sabine sandwich.  God I love her game.  

That said, I don't think she wins.  Serena in 3

So that does Isner sh*tshow we just saw put the final nail in the coffin of no 5th set tie-breaks at Wimbly (and Roland Garros)

God I sure hope so.. for even if Isner was not a f**king red hatted moron.. I'd still dislike him for that game of his is simply painful to watch.  Anderson though... as he showed in that match and previous taking out Federer is much than a servbot. He is actually a tennis player just one with a servbot quality serve. Shame the men's final will likely be a dud due to the 6 and half hour death march Anderson had to endure.

Edited by micky - July 13 2018 at 16:05
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 01:35

I am of a different opinion. Everyone has been enthusiastic about Serena and how good she looked in her previous matches. But let's face it: Her opponents have been small fry so far, mere cannon fodder for her (except perhaps Julia Görges), so it was no surprise at all she looked good; it would have been much more of a surprise had she not looked good.

But Kerber is of an entirely different caliber. Not only is she the best receiver on the tour (her return rate in this tournament so far is an incredible 88%, by far exceeding the return rate of any other player), she is also a formidable defender who can (and will) run down almost any shot. Serena won't have many cheap points from Angie; she will be forced into a lot of long rallies.

So I think Angie will take this home. But we will see in six hours.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 14 2018 at 01:53

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 04:04
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

and here comes Micky.. thus completing the classic group of 3 that consists of tennis fans here at PA's.

oh I hope Angie wins it...  long I have dreamed of being the filling of a Angie-Sabine sandwich.  God I love her game.  

That said, I don't think she wins.  Serena in 3

So that does Isner sh*tshow we just saw put the final nail in the coffin of no 5th set tie-breaks at Wimbly (and Roland Garros)

God I sure hope so.. for even if Isner was not a f**king red hatted moron.. I'd still dislike him for that game of his is simply painful to watch.  Anderson though... as he showed in that match and previous taking out Federer is much than a servbot. He is actually a tennis player just one with a servbot quality serve. Shame the men's final will likely be a dud due to the 6 and half hour death march Anderson had to endure.

Anderson's transformation from perennial choker to reincarnation of IceBorg is surely one of the most inspirational sports stories one will ever come across. Just how did he do it?  Completely unfazed all the way down to the 50th game of the 5th set.  Even hit left handed after he slipped.  Yeah, afraid for the final now.  But a tired Djokovic will be good for Anderson.  I want Anderson to win just because every underdog should have his day.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 07:01
yeah Anderson has long been on my radar. Forgot how he ever got on there in the first place. Might have been a Rafa match some years ago I watched at the Cinci Masters where I really took a liking to his game.

While never a major fan I've kept up on his career.   And I think he can win tomorrow.  He matches up against Djoker better than he does Rafa, and if Rafa does manage to sweep today .. well...  even on top of that match yesterday. I think he still might be in better shape than the winner today.

GO ANGIE!!!!  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 07:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah Anderson has long been on my radar. Forgot how he ever got on there in the first place. Might have been a Rafa match some years ago I watched at the Cinci Masters where I really took a liking to his game.

While never a major fan I've kept up on his career.   And I think he can win tomorrow.  He matches up against Djoker better than he does Rafa, and if Rafa does manage to sweep today .. well...  even on top of that match yesterday. I think he still might be in better shape than the winner today.

GO ANGIE!!!!  

Against Nadal, I am not so confident about Anderson's chances. He will have to serve cleverly (not just fast and hard) and use more serve and volley than he did against Isner. Basically kill the point at the earliest opportunity but without missing too much (easier said than done).  I am watching now and every time Djokovic hesitates to seize opportunities to get to net, Nadal gets back into the point and frequently converts it into his favour. Happened just now again.  

Djokovic doesn't match up so well against Anderson, so I would fancy Anderson's chances a lot more against him.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 07:29
yeah.. that is why I thought Nadal might win both sets today.  He is more apt and skilled enough to take the net and might do so if put against the wall as it was heading into this morning. We'll see.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 07:32
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I am of a different opinion. Everyone has been enthusiastic about Serena and how good she looked in her previous matches. But let's face it: Her opponents have been small fry so far, mere cannon fodder for her (except perhaps Julia Görges), so it was no surprise at all she looked good; it would have been much more of a surprise had she not looked good.

But Kerber is of an entirely different caliber. Not only is she the best receiver on the tour (her return rate in this tournament so far is an incredible 88%, by far exceeding the return rate of any other player), she is also a formidable defender who can (and will) run down almost any shot. Serena won't have many cheap points from Angie; she will be forced into a lot of long rallies.

So I think Angie will take this home. But we will see in six hours.

I hope you are right.  In the result that is haha.  I am by no means a Serena fan but have the utmost respect for her.  She has a killer instinct that is sadly lacking in the WTA. That counts for a lot. I sure as hell wouldn't bet against her in any big match. She is not unbeatable. Never was even when in A form.  I just have a feeling it will be a really good match but in the end the mental side decides it and Angie blinks first and Serena takes the title
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:37
Djoko edged Nadal out.  Serving first in the fifth set helped.  Nadal's serve began to go earlier; however much he has improved it, it's still not exactly a strength.  And Nadal's weakness went into Djokovic's strength, putting more and more pressure on Nadal until he wilted.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 09:48
Kerber takes the first! Well, Serena looks rather undercooked.  Not yet quite there.  Too slow and too erratic with Kerber forcing to play with less margin.  Serena is a great champion so wouldn't count her out but if this keeps up, Kerber will be an RG away from a career grand slam.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 11:10
Well, we had votes for Serena in 2, Serena in 3 and Angie in 3, but no-one guessed Angie in 2. Congrats, Angie!

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 20:49
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Well, we had votes for Serena in 2, Serena in 3 and Angie in 3, but no-one guessed Angie in 2. Congrats, Angie!

Congrats Angie.  Was just too good.  Made a still rusty Serena (or has she just lost something now) play way more shots than she wanted to and returned far better than Serena's previous opponents.  And never missed a chance to burn Serena at the net.  Serena's second shot was shockingly weak yesterday so even when her serve set up an easy shot, she couldn't capitalise on it.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 01:47
I was actually pretty right with my prediction. Angie's return rate against Serena was an incredible 80%. And she kept Serena in those long rallies.

Edited by BaldFriede - July 15 2018 at 01:47

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 02:14
Serena Williams looked out of shape, and I mean that literally. she appeared to be - dare I say it? - chubby to me; you could clearly see it during her serves when she bent forward to bounce the ball. no wonder she was gasping for breath after many rallies. she does in my opinion definitely have to shed a few lbs to get back to the top

Edited by BaldJean - July 15 2018 at 02:31

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply