Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Liberal Decalogue: Russell's Ten Commandments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Liberal Decalogue: Russell's Ten Commandments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 07:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Not only is acting in a respectful manner nice, but when one one is mocking, patronising, arrogant or generally demeaning, it causes people to go on the defensive and be more offensive themselves. I don't think that it's a good strategy for changing opinions if that is one's aim (doubt that usually is the aim when being denigrating), and is likely to only appeal to those witnesses of the spectacle who agree with you. I think that acting respectfully is important, but at the same time I don't think we need to respect other opinions or people. I like to at least try to understand someone's perspective even if I find it morally repugnant or very misguided.

Peaceful tolerance at the least, or politely "agreeing to disagree" isn't a bad outcome. 

While I have researched why "liberal" is considered by so many "Conservatives", particularly in the US, to be a dirty word and liberals as being worthy of mocking

I guess many conservatives, or alt-right, people these days think that liberals have a death wish for their traditions, or think that all white Liberals are living with "white guilt". Or they think that are too affirmative action. And of course there's the idea that "liberals", who do tend to favour social safety nets, give a free pass for laziness, and some claim are not interested enough in the prosperity of the individual. Ideally, I would like a society where everyone has the opportunity to have a deeply fulfilling, satisfying, and rich life (by rich I don't mean money) and can be given opportunities to reach their potential (be it as a gigolo, a gynecologist, a physicist, a dog walker, a mechanic, a mathematician, a chef, a pet food taster, a teacher, a writer, an artist, a deodorant tester or as a vacuum cleaner, which would kind of suck).

While I'd like to see improvements, I don't believe in changing things for the sake of changing things. There are many things that have come from my civilisational history, as well as others, that I would like to see preserved. The conservation of many things is important to me. I value much of my cultural heritage, and when I travel, I appreciate other cultures. I care deeply about environmental issues, and so deeply value the preservation/ conservation of "nature". I value science, and the scientific method, but I don't think that all technological innovation would be good thing (like if we could all 3D print nuclear weapons, or create bio-weapons with our home technology). I'd like to think that humanity will exist, improve and prosper long after I am gone -- that may mean some unpopular decisions such as limiting the number of offspring allowed and advances in robotics to help with a workforce, and possibly genetic enhancements, but that could lead to a Gattaca-like brave new world.

Excuse my abbreviating your thoughts, there Logan, I do that so I can focus in on addressing those portions specifically....

In one of my previous lifetimes, I was a 911 (emergency here in the US) dispatcher.  You pretty quickly learn that any shouting escalates a negative situation.  Remain calm and even the most hysterical people will eventually follow your lead.  

I don't do Twitter, for just those reasons.  I like to have more time to explain myself!  Smile

I think that the quick dismissal of "liberal," as a dirty word and all-encompassing is a sad reflection of those who don't really bother to take the time to find out what a word means....they are echoing the thoughts of others, much like many religious people take the word of their leaders rather than taking the time to study what they are espousing.  It's lazy and all too human.

Yes, our society(ies) are crying out for the ability of people to become most of who they are and what their strengths are.  I think the sickness of so much violence and mental illness is partly in reaction to this stifling of the human spirit.  I so agree that monetary wealth is not the entire definition of "rich," and certainly does not necessarily bring happiness.  Been there.  It is good to have enough to not worry about that part, so you can focus on the rest, but the pursuit of it for it's own sake is an empty chase and may leave you all alone with your money in a big, empty house (my second husband).

Love the vacuum cleaner!LOL

And, finally, just because we CAN do something, does not mean we should.  Again, think it all through first, think of all of the possible outcomes.  Take time take care and come to meaningful and positive conclusions when addressing problems...It requires a bit of patience, something that the world seems to have less of these days.  

Again, thank you for the thoughtful discussion herein and bringing it back to the fore.  Looking forward to hearing more.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 12:02
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Not only is acting in a respectful manner nice, but when one one is mocking, patronising, arrogant or generally demeaning, it causes people to go on the defensive and be more offensive themselves. I don't think that it's a good strategy for changing opinions if that is one's aim (doubt that usually is the aim when being denigrating), and is likely to only appeal to those witnesses of the spectacle who agree with you. I think that acting respectfully is important, but at the same time I don't think we need to respect other opinions or people. I like to at least try to understand someone's perspective even if I find it morally repugnant or very misguided.

Peaceful tolerance at the least, or politely "agreeing to disagree" isn't a bad outcome. 

While I have researched why "liberal" is considered by so many "Conservatives", particularly in the US, to be a dirty word and liberals as being worthy of mocking

I guess many conservatives, or alt-right, people these days think that liberals have a death wish for their traditions, or think that all white Liberals are living with "white guilt". Or they think that are too affirmative action. And of course there's the idea that "liberals", who do tend to favour social safety nets, give a free pass for laziness, and some claim are not interested enough in the prosperity of the individual. Ideally, I would like a society where everyone has the opportunity to have a deeply fulfilling, satisfying, and rich life (by rich I don't mean money) and can be given opportunities to reach their potential (be it as a gigolo, a gynecologist, a physicist, a dog walker, a mechanic, a mathematician, a chef, a pet food taster, a teacher, a writer, an artist, a deodorant tester or as a vacuum cleaner, which would kind of suck).

While I'd like to see improvements, I don't believe in changing things for the sake of changing things. There are many things that have come from my civilisational history, as well as others, that I would like to see preserved. The conservation of many things is important to me. I value much of my cultural heritage, and when I travel, I appreciate other cultures. I care deeply about environmental issues, and so deeply value the preservation/ conservation of "nature". I value science, and the scientific method, but I don't think that all technological innovation would be good thing (like if we could all 3D print nuclear weapons, or create bio-weapons with our home technology). I'd like to think that humanity will exist, improve and prosper long after I am gone -- that may mean some unpopular decisions such as limiting the number of offspring allowed and advances in robotics to help with a workforce, and possibly genetic enhancements, but that could lead to a Gattaca-like brave new world.

Excuse my abbreviating your thoughts, there Logan, I do that so I can focus in on addressing those portions specifically....

In one of my previous lifetimes, I was a 911 (emergency here in the US) dispatcher.  You pretty quickly learn that any shouting escalates a negative situation.  Remain calm and even the most hysterical people will eventually follow your lead.  

I don't do Twitter, for just those reasons.  I like to have more time to explain myself!  Smile

I think that the quick dismissal of "liberal," as a dirty word and all-encompassing is a sad reflection of those who don't really bother to take the time to find out what a word means....they are echoing the thoughts of others, much like many religious people take the word of their leaders rather than taking the time to study what they are espousing.  It's lazy and all too human.

Yes, our society(ies) are crying out for the ability of people to become most of who they are and what their strengths are.  I think the sickness of so much violence and mental illness is partly in reaction to this stifling of the human spirit.  I so agree that monetary wealth is not the entire definition of "rich," and certainly does not necessarily bring happiness.  Been there.  It is good to have enough to not worry about that part, so you can focus on the rest, but the pursuit of it for it's own sake is an empty chase and may leave you all alone with your money in a big, empty house (my second husband).

Love the vacuum cleaner!LOL

And, finally, just because we CAN do something, does not mean we should.  Again, think it all through first, think of all of the possible outcomes.  Take time take care and come to meaningful and positive conclusions when addressing problems...It requires a bit of patience, something that the world seems to have less of these days.  

Again, thank you for the thoughtful discussion herein and bringing it back to the fore.  Looking forward to hearing more.

It seems to me that your abbreviation of my thoughts is a big improvement. Paring down only bothers me when I feel taken out of context, the editing facilitates talking past one another, people only focus on the weaker parts of my posts while missing or ignoring my overall point, only post the self-deprecating parts, then insult me after I have insulted myself, or when, say in debate, people ask questions and then ignore my attempts to answer them, and well, I could go on. Some might have edited my post to read:

Originally posted by SarcasticFecker SarcasticFecker wrote:

I'll just lamely add (it's late and I'm not thinking very clearly so prepare for some mega rambling) ... which [will] kind of suck....

You got that much right, it does suck.

Being a 911 dispatcher would be far too stressful for me. I had to learn to keep my calm with one of my kids who has been going through a difficult patch as things could escalate quickly. There was a recent story in the news about a dispatcher who when dealing with someone who was panicking hung up on that person (there was a murderous person in the house).

I wish more police, well all police, were better trained when it comes to de-escalation and calming people in acute stress (more training in psychology would help). "CALM DOWN!!! CALM DOWN!!! GET ON THE FLOOR! GET ON THE FLOOR! DROP THE SAFETY SCISSORS NOW!!!" I wish that the police here were more adequately trained in conflict resolution sans TASERS, bullets or threats of violence, would be less likely to demand respect while being disrespectful of others, were more aware of mental health issues, and aggressive officers/ hotheads who show signs of being in it for the sense of power over others would be less tolerated, and not defended, by the police force/ union. I realise it's a difficult situation that police often find themselves in, but too often the approach has led to bodily injury and death. That said, I'm not claiming that there aren't many wonderful people who join the police and do their best and their duty under very stressful, adverse conditions. Not an easy job very often, and they too often have to put up with abuse.

I prefer long-form discussion to the limitations of Twitter. I find it useful for finding out about certain things by people who interest me, but it is quite a toxic, hyper-partisan environment all too often, where discussion often lacks nuance.

More people should look into things for themselves, using a variety of sources, instead of just parroting what others that they identify with, their tribes, claim.   Too many people seem to shun research, laziness as you say, but also I sometimes think it's because people fear being challenged in their notions and don't have very investigative minds, or a healthy scepticism, I would say. I had a run-in with an anthropogenic climate change denier at this forum where he linked to a "scientific" source which claimed that humanity was having no significant impact on climate change. It only took a few minutes of my research to see that it came from a conservative think tank strongly linked to the Koch brothers. It was clear that he was only getting info on a variety of topic from certain sources that fit his world view. This siloing, echo chamber, bubble effect narrows thinking. It's important to travel outside of one's comfort zone to find other perspectives, and listen despite ones biases (we all have our biases but be aware of the biases) and gain a greater understanding of issues. Of course some things are easier to dismiss from a rational perspective than others, and we only have so much time in the day so it helps to gains some sense of discernment when it comes to the quality of the media, research etc. One should consider how cogent an argument is and how well backed up are the assertions (are the premises sufficient, relevant and acceptable to adequately support the conclusion, for instance).

It's interesting how often people double-down on their views when presented with new evidence that should shed serious doubts on their beliefs.

When it comes to listening to religious leaders, for instance, it is a shame that more people don't do their own research (which not only requires reading the texts for oneself, but also trying to understand the history and traditions). Of course many leaders would rather their flock follow them blindly, not question, as that can maintain their power. Authority is important to authoritarians.

Many of us are striving for some awakening of the human spirit (I'm something of a seeker), which does in part involve finding your strengths and feeling empowered. People want to feel valued and to value themselves. So, so many feel isolated, alienated, powerless, not an integral part of the system, or more than a cog in the wheel, not mattering, and not having a voice. Society seems so cold and heartless to many and so many feel unfulfilled. Despite any controversial feelings I have when it comes to population control, to me humanity is such a precious resource, and not giving people more opportunities to better themselves, find their strengths and thus potentially contribute more to society, as well as feeling like they have more fulfilling, satisfying lives, seems such a tragic waste to me.

The world really does seem so impatient these days; so short-sighted. Prudence is desirable when it comes to so many things. We're running lots of experiments around the world, and in our lives, many of which could have disastrous consequences. There are serious existential risks. Stepping back and taking time to think through the consequences when possible, and thinking through the best approach and doing the research, is not time wasted -- as I have realised when attempting plumbing around the house. ;)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 07:17
Hi,

I am a greater fan of Ken Russell's Ten Commandments ... and they must have lots of music (which they do), that this other Russell doesn't!

Wink
LOL
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 08:44
Trying a different tactic, seeing if I like the bold effect within the quotes.  

It seems to me that your abbreviation of my thoughts is a big improvement. Paring down only bothers me when I feel taken out of context
Originally posted by SarcasticFecker SarcasticFecker wrote:

I'll just lamely add (it's late and I'm not thinking very clearly so prepare for some mega rambling) ... which [will] kind of suck....

You got that much right, it does suck.

I am very happy that you don't mind!  And I do love your sense of humour.  Smile

Being a 911 dispatcher would be far too stressful for me. I had to learn to keep my calm with one of my kids who has been going through a difficult patch as things could escalate quickly. There was a recent story in the news about a dispatcher who when dealing with someone who was panicking hung up on that person (there was a murderous person in the house). 

It was long ago and in a place that was very quiet compared to what it is now.  Santa Cruz in the early 1980's.  I would not want that job now.  Hanging up on someone in the situation is unconscionable.

I wish more police, well all police, were better trained when it comes to de-escalation and calming people in acute stress (more training in psychology would help)That said, I'm not claiming that there aren't many wonderful people who join the police and do their best and their duty under very stressful, adverse conditions. Not an easy job very often, and they too often have to put up with abuse.

In my day, not only the police, but we dispatchers had lots of training.  I am actually qualified in hostage negotiations!  And trained in suicide prevention, not to mention a healthy grounding in gallows humour, which helps in dealing with high stress situations, especially the PTSD-type effects that follow requiring to be calm in the most insane occurrences.  

I found that police, like any other group of people, had their fair share of people who were there for all the right reasons and some who were there for all of the wrong reasons.  It's a shame when the wrong reason crew get into the wrong situation, in particular.  

I prefer long-form discussion to the limitations of Twitter. I find it useful for finding out about certain things by people who interest me, but it is quite a toxic, hyper-partisan environment all too often, where discussion often lacks nuance.

Smile

More people should look into things for themselves, using a variety of sources, instead of just parroting what others that they identify with, their tribes, claim.   Too many people seem to shun research, laziness as you say, but also I sometimes think it's because people fear being challenged in their notions and don't have very investigative minds, or a healthy scepticism, I would say. I had a run-in with an anthropogenic climate change denier at this forum where he linked to a "scientific" source which claimed that humanity was having no significant impact on climate change. It only took a few minutes of my research to see that it came from a conservative think tank strongly linked to the Koch brothers. It was clear that he was only getting info on a variety of topic from certain sources that fit his world view. This siloing, echo chamber, bubble effect narrows thinking. It's important to travel outside of one's comfort zone to find other perspectives, and listen despite ones biases One should consider how cogent an argument is and how well backed up are the assertions (are the premises sufficient, relevant and acceptable to adequately support the conclusion, for instance).

I did see that, I figure there's no reasoning with the like.

It's interesting how often people double-down on their views when presented with new evidence that should shed serious doubts on their beliefs.

Yes.  And yes.  Doubling down on that!  LOL

When it comes to listening to religious leaders, for instance, it is a shame that more people don't do their own research (which not only requires reading the texts for oneself, but also trying to understand the history and traditions). Of course many leaders would rather their flock follow them blindly, not question, as that can maintain their power. Authority is important to authoritarians.  Absolutely.

Many of us are striving for some awakening of the human spirit (I'm something of a seeker), which does in part involve finding your strengths and feeling empowered. People want to feel valued and to value themselves. So, so many feel isolated, alienated, powerless, not an integral part of the system, or more than a cog in the wheel, not mattering, and not having a voice. Society seems so cold and heartless to many and so many feel unfulfilled. Despite any controversial feelings I have when it comes to population control, to me humanity is such a precious resource, and not giving people more opportunities to better themselves, find their strengths and thus potentially contribute more to society, as well as feeling like they have more fulfilling, satisfying lives, seems such a tragic waste to me. 

It is hard to sit and watch as this happens for so many.  We are lucky in having lived when we did, we had chances to build strong friendships based on shared experiences and draw on those.  It is terribly hard for young people to make real friends these days, especially people who have any depth.  I see it with my son and also with other friends I have made of younger age groups than mine.  They really want connection.  Not to imply that my son doesn't have friends, the ones he has have remained life-long ones, they just don't all live in the same place anymore and it is harder to make new ones than it used to be. The internet is funny this way, it can connect so many, yet, somehow can also isolate so many.  Not sure what the answer is, but perhaps keep talking about it.  

The world really does seem so impatient these days; so short-sighted. Prudence is desirable when it comes to so many things. We're running lots of experiments around the world, and in our lives, many of which could have disastrous consequences. There are serious existential risks. Stepping back and taking time to think through the consequences when possible, and thinking through the best approach and doing the research, is not time wasted -- as I have realised when attempting plumbing around the house. ;)

It is impatient and RUDE!  I think there should be courses in civility that are required, personally.  As far as plumbing, I call a plumber, I know when I should not attempt to do it myself.  I am just not handy.  And definitely I do not mess with electricity.  Smile

Edited by Snicolette - March 23 2019 at 09:02
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 11:47
I'm glad that you, and others had such training, and I'm sure it continues in many places.

I rather misspoke when it comes to the police, I'm sure there are many who have been trained very well, but one tends to hear the horror stories as they can be quite sensational (but not rare enough). That said, there have been so many shocking incidents in Vancouver, where I live (and perhaps my dad's horror stories, he was a director of corrections, made me more sceptical).

This documentary can only be seen by Canadian residents (I saw it on TV), or those with proxies, but It's an interesting article: https://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/episodes/hold-your-fire

I think the British police are faring much better when it comes to non-lethal practices than in Canada generally and much of the United States (of course it doesn't help that guns are more readily available in North America -- many being smuggled over the border to Canada, will Trudeau ever build that wall? ;) But with terrorism, more police are being armed and trained to act with lethal force in the UK. Additionally, I found the police friendlier, more approachable, and more helpful in England generally.

Edited by Logan - March 25 2019 at 11:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2019 at 12:44
Oh, I am not a defender of bad police practices in the least, just have a bit of an insider viewpoint of them.  Which is different than many other insiders, I recognize their fallability.  And have no tolerance for brutality on their part.  I agree with you that the guns here are a big part of the problem.  I don't know the answer to that problem, just stands to reason that if there are more guns, there will be more gun violence.

I will check out the video and link from home, on a short work break here, now.

Thinking a lot about the 3 suicides here, 2 Parkland survivors and the father of one of the Sandy Hook children.  Something has to be done.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 19:29
I was put in mind of this by something. I'm interested to hear from more people what "liberal" means to them (of course it depends on the context). Does it have positive, negative or neutral connotations to you (again, of course that could depend on the context)?

As said, in some ways I'm quite conservative/ traditional, but mostly I like to be liberal in terms of being open-minded (just not so open-minded that my brains fall out).

Edited by Logan - September 28 2019 at 19:29
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 20:27

I was put in mind of this by something. I'm interested to hear from more people what "liberal" means to them (of course it depends on the context). Does it have positive, negative or neutral connotations to you (again, of course that could depend on the context)?

As said, in some ways I'm quite conservative/ traditional, but mostly I like to be liberal in terms of being open-minded (just not so open-minded that my brains fall out).

As an Indian, it absolutely is a positive word for me.  Because the alternative is politicians brazenly promising voters they will destroy Muslims completely if given five more years in power.  Yes, this happened!

And while I can only view the situation in the US from afar, I see that once again, the far right has simply co-opted a legitimate and necessary pushback against the excesses of social justice/political correctness for its own ends, which are far more dangerous than the annoying moral policing of the SJW brigade.  So between "your racist/bigoted/sexist" and "Jews won't replace us", the choice is clear to me.  But I am also looking at it, subconsciously, as a person of colour.  I wonder if some white people feel more comfortable with Trump and sympathise with what he is doing simply because his vitriol or that of the far right he has given free rein to doesn't affect them.  The central problem in today's discourse, on top of everything you and Snicolette mentioned, is a lack of empathy.  In the Obama years, empathy towards the disaffected in the Rust Belt was lacking.  Now, it is empathy towards POCs that has gone.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 20:57

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but has a bearing on it.  My son recently went to Europe in a college extension course....he's a Masters candidate in International Relations at Boston University.  They went to a place in London, which was once bombed and has become a center for studies and a safe place for people of all religions and political propensities, for purposes of discourse and discussion.  He and the other students (who were all first-year college students, he was the only Master's candidate) were in a yurt on the property, and the docent gathered them and told them that this is a triangulation that they often use for discussion amongst people of differing backgrounds.  He asked them to go to a specific place in the yurt, if the word, "power," brought forth a feeling of "angry," "sad," or "happy."  

The other students mostly collected into the "angry," corner.  My son stood aside.  The docent finally said, "Why aren't you making a choice?"  My son said, "Because the word, "power," is just a word.  It's what you DO with it, that gives it any emotion.  You can abuse power, you can use it for good, you can choose to do nothing with it.  That is what defines the feeling behind the word."  

The professor who accompanied the class said, "And there you have the difference between a first year student and a Master's candidate in International Relations."  

That all being said, I define myself as a "liberal," and also "conservative," in the true sense of the words (much as you do, Logan, and in the same ways).  My son does not, he looks at all sides of a question from all aspects that he can gather and then makes his own opinion.  I wish I could have that kind of detachment, yet still find that I also view things on an emotional level as well.  

So, not sure if that is what you were looking for, but it's what was brought to mind for me.  I could never vote for a Republican candidate, I just feel too strongly against what they stand for on several key issues, that carry a lot of weight for me.  What is happening in my country right now is not that, however. We are tossed right back into Nixonian times.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 21:42

Probably not exactly what you were looking for, but has a bearing on it.  My son recently went to Europe in a college extension course....he's a Masters candidate in International Relations at Boston University.  They went to a place in London, which was once bombed and has become a center for studies and a safe place for people of all religions and political propensities, for purposes of discourse and discussion.  He and the other students (who were all first-year college students, he was the only Master's candidate) were in a yurt on the property, and the docent gathered them and told them that this is a triangulation that they often use for discussion amongst people of differing backgrounds.  He asked them to go to a specific place in the yurt, if the word, "power," brought forth a feeling of "angry," "sad," or "happy."  

The other students mostly collected into the "angry," corner.  My son stood aside.  The docent finally said, "Why aren't you making a choice?"  My son said, "Because the word, "power," is just a word.  It's what you DO with it, that gives it any emotion.  You can abuse power, you can use it for good, you can choose to do nothing with it.  That is what defines the feeling behind the word."  

The professor who accompanied the class said, "And there you have the difference between a first year student and a Master's candidate in International Relations."  

That all being said, I define myself as a "liberal," and also "conservative," in the true sense of the words (much as you do, Logan, and in the same ways).  My son does not, he looks at all sides of a question from all aspects that he can gather and then makes his own opinion.  I wish I could have that kind of detachment, yet still find that I also view things on an emotional level as well.  

So, not sure if that is what you were looking for, but it's what was brought to mind for me.  I could never vote for a Republican candidate, I just feel too strongly against what they stand for on several key issues, that carry a lot of weight for me.  What is happening in my country right now is not that, however. We are tossed right back into Nixonian times.

Your liberal minded peers in Britain or India would agree too, because what we're seeing isn't genuine conservative politics but a reactionary rage.  OTOH, I think those in Australia/Canada might opine differently (maybe even in France) because there, for now, the conservative movement is confined to establishment politics.  The idea of unleashing genuine grassroots rebellion into the political system sounds romantic but historically, it has led to devastating and anti-democratic consequences because a revolution is obsessed with its goals and will crush everything in its path that may be an obstruction.  The root causes of the Trump election remain unaddressed, even by Trump himself.  Jobs were shipped away overseas without retraining laid off workers for the new service sector economy.  Clinton/Bush's housing for all largesse papered over the cracks until it all exploded and ended badly with the meltdown.  Nothing has changed since then to not only address the consequences of the housing crisis but the question of what to do with low wage earners for whom the sub prime mortgages were actually a Godsend and without which their only solace is gone.  Yes, it sounds weird to talk about sub prime in that way but it is what kept the American economy going through the noughties and I don't know how much that is acknowledged.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 21:44
Been multi-tasking, so I wrote this rambling post before seeing the two above comments. It's really poorly written/ thought-out, even by my standards.

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

As an Indian, it absolutely is a positive word for me.  Because the alternative is politicians brazenly promising voters they will destroy Muslims completely if given five more years in power.  Yes, this happened!

And while I can only view the situation in the US from afar, I see that once again, the far right has simply co-opted a legitimate and necessary pushback against the excesses of social justice/political correctness for its own ends, which are far more dangerous than the annoying moral policing of the SJW brigade.  So between "your racist/bigoted/sexist" and "Jews won't replace us", the choice is clear to me.  But I am also looking at it, subconsciously, as a person of colour.  I wonder if some white people feel more comfortable with Trump and sympathise with what he is doing simply because his vitriol or that of the far right he has given free rein to doesn't affect them.  The central problem in today's discourse, on top of everything you and Snicolette mentioned, is a lack of empathy.  In the Obama years, empathy towards the disaffected in the Rust Belt was lacking.  Now, it is empathy towards POCs that has gone.  

I have the same sense as what you've written. I'm in a mixed "race" (dislike that term) marriage, by the way, which is very common where I live. Some would call me a traitor to the White race for this....

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case with many who sympathise with Trump. I do think a lack of empathy is really important to this. People tend to empathise far more with their in-group (their tribe so to speak), and it's often lacking when it comes to "other". With positive exposure (especially easy when it comes to relations between individuals -- kids don't care about skin colour unless they're inculcated with certain beliefs) those barriers/ sense of otherness lessen.   Certain groups/ individuals have tried to accentuate this sense of other.   By the way, for me empathy is foundational for our moral intuitions, sadly sociopathic individuals too often find themselves in positions of power.

By the way, Ilm going off on asides, aside from the colour angle, also the cultural angle is being played up. I know here there's quite a push-back against multi-culturalism from many where I live. And I know people from England who feel that their culture and sense of identity is threatened -- never mind that there were already various cultures in England -- the cultured and the uncultured to mention just two. ;) One of the most English of a certain type of traditional Englishmen I've met was of colour, the son of immigrants, but then went to Cambridge, and has the driest of wit.

Some resent what they perceive to be imposed diversity.

Here's a quote from the the head of BBC comedy Shane Allen, “If you’re going to assemble a team now, it’s not going to be six Oxbridge white blokes. It’s going to be a diverse range of people who reflect the modern world.”

That led to a negative reaction from John Cleese and Terry Gilliam.

Here'a tweet from John Cleese, "BBC's Head of Comedy puts Monty Python's lack of originality down to a surfeit of education and racist bias. Unfair! We were remarkably diverse FOR OUR TIME. We had three grammar-school boys, one a poof, and Gilliam, though not actually black, was a Yank. And NO slave-owners."

And Gilliam wrote, "It made me cry: the idea that… no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show."

One wouldn't expect in many countries to have diversity quotients.

I get some multicultural concerns, and when I travel abroad I want to feel like I'm in a fairly unique culture, and am rather of the "When in Rome do as the Romans do" mentality, when appropriate. But I digress very badly.

That said, we definitely need more empathy, and I think less tribalism. Every person is unique, and people are too readily put in boxes or too easily put themselves in boxes. People want a sense of identity, but with differences can come animosity. Customs/ etiquette can be rather hard to navigate in multicultural societies, but most every culture has its sub-cultures too and it was never truly monolithic.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 21:59
Yes, we are all humans and other creatures on this little planet.  We are ALL of the same tribe.  Earthlings.  

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 22:29

I have the same sense as what you've written. I'm in a mixed "race" (dislike that term) marriage, by the way, which is very common where I live. Some would call me a traitor to the White race for this....

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case with many who sympathise with Trump. I do think a lack of empathy is really important to this. People tend to empathise far more with their in-group (their tribe so to speak), and it's often lacking when it comes to "other". With positive exposure (especially easy when it comes to relations between individuals -- kids don't care about skin colour unless they're inculcated with certain beliefs) those barriers/ sense of otherness lessen.   Certain groups/ individuals have tried to accentuate this sense of other.   By the way, for me empathy is foundational for our moral intuitions, sadly sociopathic individuals too often find themselves in positions of power.

By the way, Ilm going off on asides, aside from the colour angle, also the cultural angle is being played up. I know here there's quite a push-back against multi-culturalism from many where I live. And I know people from England who feel that their culture and sense of identity is threatened -- never mind that there were already various cultures in England -- the cultured and the uncultured to mention just two. ;) One of the most English of a certain type of traditional Englishmen I've met was of colour, the son of immigrants, but then went to Cambridge, and has the driest of wit.

Some resent what they perceive to be imposed diversity.

Here's a quote from the the head of BBC comedy Shane Allen, “If you’re going to assemble a team now, it’s not going to be six Oxbridge white blokes. It’s going to be a diverse range of people who reflect the modern world.”

That led to a negative reaction from John Cleese and Terry Gilliam.

Here'a tweet from John Cleese, "BBC's Head of Comedy puts Monty Python's lack of originality down to a surfeit of education and racist bias. Unfair! We were remarkably diverse FOR OUR TIME. We had three grammar-school boys, one a poof, and Gilliam, though not actually black, was a Yank. And NO slave-owners."

And Gilliam wrote, "It made me cry: the idea that… no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show."

One wouldn't expect in many countries to have diversity quotients.

I get some multicultural concerns, and when I travel abroad I want to feel like I'm in a fairly unique culture, and am rather of the "When in Rome do as the Romans do" mentality, when appropriate. But I digress very badly.

That said, we definitely need more empathy, and I think less tribalism. Every person is unique, and people are too readily put in boxes or too easily put themselves in boxes. People want a sense of identity, but with differences can come animosity. Customs/ etiquette can be rather hard to navigate in multicultural societies, but most every culture has its sub-cultures too and it was never truly monolithic.

The highlighted portion is interesting.  Because having visited America twice, on both occasions, I found myself able to fit in almost too easily.  Not only because I could speak English but because watching a lot of American movies and sitcoms and listening to their music a lot made it easy for me to follow the accents of the people whom I met (more so because I was restricted to the North East/coast and only Illinois in the Midwest.  When my cousins asked me how did it feel coming to America for the first time, I said it felt familiar.  But what then happens to the authentic American experience? Liberal commentary has evolved in such a way that even a Howard Stern or Joe Rogan is considered extreme or borderline out of bounds.  And this was not the original purpose of liberalism; it was never meant to impose a doctrine of niceness on everyone.  Yes, it's good to be polite and not good to be hateful but people should be allowed to have a laugh too.  

The traditional American entertainment model, particularly in the music industry, also addressed different cultures such that they didn't step on each others' toes and still felt represented.  Motown catered to African Americans and rock itself had subsets (Southern rock appealed to a different audience altogether from the Northern or West coast bands). This is actually similar to how we go about it in India and we are compelled to because we have so many languages.  So there are movies/music in different languages catering to different sub cultures while Hindi no doubt addresses the largest group. While, like the One Nation/One Australia crowd, there is, here too, a group that would like everyone to speak Hindi, by and large, nobody would ever consider it somehow un-Indian to broadcast something in a language other than Hindi and English is not seen as catering to an alien culture removed from Indian sensibilities given that a lot of us working in white collar jobs have to speak and write English at least competently. 

My point being that it is better to create entertainment products that cater LARGELY to a smaller in-group than to exclude parts of the largest in-group to accommodate the others.  Because such accommodation in any case is often clumsy and tries to pander to stereotypes that these smaller groups may not like.  Everybody knows the Raj character in Big Bang Theory but none of my cousins who grew up in America speak English like that, with that thick Indian accent (and no Indian who is good enough to be a STEM major in America would speak English so carefully and deliberately, we LOVE speaking really fast).  The actor playing Raj himself agreed and said he just has to do it because that's what was expected from him in the role.  Seasoned Indian actors (like Om Puri in Wolf or Anupam Kher in Silver Linings Playbook) are hired to play Indians living in America, which is highly incongruous.  

It is better to make series like Brown Nation or Citizen Khan (UK) to cater to the sensibilities of the Indian subcontinent without pandering to a white audience's stereotypes about them.  A more sensitive and serious effort on these lines was Brick Lane about the impact of 9/11 on the British Muslim community. Excluding white actors to 'project' an inclusive image is obviously not going to go down well with the white in-group, which is where the social engineering of entertainment probably went too far.  I cannot imagine the uproar here in India if somebody proposed that South Indian actors should be force-fitted into a Hindi movie or series because 'inclusion'.  I understand that the dynamic is not entirely comparable because we are not a ghetto culture and have not been ostracised or discriminated against for the most part.  But the solution still is to promote movies about black people starring black people rather than, say, turning an Agatha Christie character into a black, gay man (Orient Express).  That does come across as trying to force-feed a message and in a rather trivial context.  Make a serious movie about the problems of black, gay people instead; virtue-signalling in a blockbuster celebrating British imperialism (the irony!) achieves exactly what?

Edited by rogerthat - September 28 2019 at 22:32
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 08:34
Perhaps more to your point, Logan, is that I consider myself "liberal," in the sense that individuals have a right to live differently than I do, with of course the common good being kept in mind (if your religion or mania calls for you to murder me, then, no, you cannot do that).  It is not my business if you want an abortion, want to smoke pot, even want to (safely) own firearms (with reasonable limits), want to marry any consenting adult, believe in one god, hundreds, or none, eat meat or if you're lactose intolerant, or vegan or gluten intolerant, or for freaking sake, allergic to any foods (just tell me before I make a dinner for you so that I can feed you properly), that everyone deserves equal medical care and the right to equal rights, no matter your sex, race or financial status, and especially if you want to say "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Holidays," and I will respond in kind, politely...just don't spitefully say any of it to me ....Please, the Golden Rule should preside over all.

I consider myself "conservative," in the one of the definitions of the word, I think it is wise to conserve energy, our natural resources and be mindful of our environment and other creatures.  

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 10:33
"Liberal" for me has aspects that I like and aspects that I don't like that much. I like open mindedness, open debate, and am very much against censorship. On the other hand I think there can be too much freedom. Some things should be regulated centrally. People have to come together and do something about the destruction of nature and the world as we know it. And then people are not born with equal opportunities, freedom may mean great freedom to some and hardly any to others. There needs to be protection of workers' rights, regulation of competition and the like, and there is an interpretation of "liberal" that dislikes all of these ideas. The concept of absolute freedom is inherently contradictory, freedom of one person will at some point always get in conflict with the freedom of another. Today's world needs a healthy dose of liberalism but it also needs coordination, rules and constraints.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 11:02
Yes, I am not for anarchy!  Smile

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2019 at 21:13
I appreciate your posts, and sorry not responding sooner, but I want to wait till I've had a little more sleep and am slightly more compos mentis, or at least I feel a little less like mental compost.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 15:32
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

"Liberal" for me has aspects that I like and aspects that I don't like that much. I like open mindedness, open debate, and am very much against censorship. On the other hand I think there can be too much freedom. Some things should be regulated centrally. People have to come together and do something about the destruction of nature and the world as we know it. And then people are not born with equal opportunities, freedom may mean great freedom to some and hardly any to others. There needs to be protection of workers' rights, regulation of competition and the like, and there is an interpretation of "liberal" that dislikes all of these ideas. The concept of absolute freedom is inherently contradictory, freedom of one person will at some point always get in conflict with the freedom of another. Today's world needs a healthy dose of liberalism but it also needs coordination, rules and constraints.

When I describe myself as a liberal, that does not entail absolute liberty/ freedom. I would call that some form of extreme libertarianism, or hyper-liberalism.

I'm for limited liberty, regulation, and am hardly libertarian. Individual freedom should end when it is detrimental to others (according to certain frameworks). One can be liberal without taking an anything goes approach. I have a problem with hyper-liberalism and libertarianism.

My basic ethos is that a system that promotes the maximum well-being (health, fulfillment etc.) and minimises suffering amongst the population is better than the opposite. Figuring that out is not always easy either. I'm a moral situationalist, but I do start with some basic moral assumptions.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 15:54

Perhaps more to your point, Logan, is that I consider myself "liberal," in the sense that individuals have a right to live differently than I do, with of course the common good being kept in mind (if your religion or mania calls for you to murder me, then, no, you cannot do that).  It is not my business if you want an abortion, want to smoke pot, even want to (safely) own firearms (with reasonable limits), want to marry any consenting adult, believe in one god, hundreds, or none, eat meat or if you're lactose intolerant, or vegan or gluten intolerant, or for freaking sake, allergic to any foods (just tell me before I make a dinner for you so that I can feed you properly), that everyone deserves equal medical care and the right to equal rights, no matter your sex, race or financial status, and especially if you want to say "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Holidays," and I will respond in kind, politely...just don't spitefully say any of it to me ....Please, the Golden Rule should preside over all.

I consider myself "conservative," in the one of the definitions of the word, I think it is wise to conserve energy, our natural resources and be mindful of our environment and other creatures.  

I share the same sentiments, and am not contradicting you as you've clarified limits under a common good.

I see veganism as morally virtuous when practical, but I also see diet as contingent on various factors (what is available, what you can afford, your dietary needs).   Having a right to own firearms, well that should depend on the situation as you say. As long as one's own liberties do not impinge on others adversely or cause discernible or knowable harm, then live and let live on the whole. People can believe what they like, but I do have issues with such people inculcating their children with irrational beliefs, and when those beliefs lead to bad things (which could even be supporting bad policies). I support euthanasia within limits, the problem is those left behind who will suffer. With abortion, it kind of depends on the situation. The my body my right spiel I have some issue with (and that can extend to demand for assisted suicide). I used to belong to the Civil Liberties Association, and on the birthing table (she was in labour), a stripper demanded that the baby-to-be-birthed be cut up in pieces instead of having a C-section (which was required), which she said would affect her job. The doctor's refused, and a class action law suit came out of it. Rights of the unborn can be a tricky one.

I am for limited rights, and am not keen on the Satanic "Do as thou wilt".

While I like the general sentiment of the Golden Rule, and there have been variations of it for thousands of years (some think Christian thought invented it, but the ancient Greeks and Confucianism had a form), it too can be problematic. If in the form "one should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself", well what if one is a sado-masochist? ;)

Edited by Logan - December 23 2019 at 15:57
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2019 at 16:20

Perhaps more to your point, Logan, is that I consider myself "liberal," in the sense that individuals have a right to live differently than I do, with of course the common good being kept in mind (if your religion or mania calls for you to murder me, then, no, you cannot do that).  It is not my business if you want an abortion, want to smoke pot, even want to (safely) own firearms (with reasonable limits), want to marry any consenting adult, believe in one god, hundreds, or none, eat meat or if you're lactose intolerant, or vegan or gluten intolerant, or for freaking sake, allergic to any foods (just tell me before I make a dinner for you so that I can feed you properly), that everyone deserves equal medical care and the right to equal rights, no matter your sex, race or financial status, and especially if you want to say "Merry Christmas," or "Happy Holidays," and I will respond in kind, politely.
I see veganism as morally virtuous when practical, but I also see diet as contingent on various factors (what is available, what you can afford, your dietary needs).   Having a right to own firearms, well that should depend on the situation as you say. As long as one's own liberties do not impinge on others adversely or cause discernible or knowable harm, then live and let live on the whole. People can believe what they like, but I do have issues with such people inculcating their children with irrational beliefs, and when those beliefs lead to bad things (which could even be supporting bad policies). I support euthanasia within limits, the problem is those left behind who will suffer. With abortion, it kind of depends on the situation. The my body my right spiel I have some issue with (and that can extend to demand for assisted suicide).
It's interesting because one sees where different politics interface--  many of the values expressed in these two posts are often shared by cons, progs, and libertarians.   The differences seem to stem from certain key trigger issues, things like abortion, religion, government, and social economics.   And some things have shifted in U.S. politics in just the last few years: Military intervention seems somewhat less supported by conservatives and somewhat more supported by liberals than it used to be, and a reversal has occurred in voters: it's gone from the educated upper classes largely voting republican and the working classes largely voting democrat, to the other way around.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>